Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy belated b-day.

Where is that? How long's the trail?
  2. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in Idaho and is about 72 paved miles.
  3. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's one of the top 10 bike rides in the US. I was just reading about it. Its on my bucket list.
    smithe likes this.
  4. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brief Race Report
    Ironman Lake Placid 140.6 is in the books! I'm still alive and able to walk - BONUS! If anyone is considering doing this race, do it. The scenery is incredible, the town rallies around you and the volunteers know how to get you through your day. A really great swim - thank you whirlpool effect - a pretty decent bike with over 6K of elevation where the cycling gods were smiling on me because I experienced zero issues and the run... well, my calf gave out at mile 2. But with the help of volunteers, a lovely woman who massaged IcyHot into my calf at mile 6-ish, Red Bull, Coke, potato chips and bananas and a kiss from my wife (who was also competing on Sunday and she too is now an Ironman or IronMaiden!) just after mile 22, I finished my first Ironman. I timed it perfectly too because I was all alone coming down the finishers chute and heard Mike Riley say those four words I was coveting since beginning this training. Thankfully, I broke down after I passed the camera. I'm not crying YOU'RE crying.

It was a helluva day and that organization knows how to pull it off right. I have nothing but good things to say about that race and the memories will stay with me forever.

Thanks to those folks here who've given me some encouragement or advice or just told me to go take a effing nap and I think a few of us follow each other on the Strava. Believe me when I say this, you ADV guys and this triathlon thread were in my head during my day and it was one of the many things that passed the miles and helped me get through.

Wishing everyone much success in their upcoming races!

- Jeff
    Surfnjmatt, DeepSea, tridawg and 2 others like this.
  5. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing better than hearing Mike Riley saying, "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN" when you cross the finish line! Congrats!!!!
    heysyb and DeepSea like this.
  6. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Whoop Whoop!! Congrats to you and your wife!!!

You probably did but make sure you download your video of you crossing the finish line. I've got mine downloaded. Always neat to go back and watch em later.

And I got robbed of Riley in Louisville. He was in Hawaii calling some other little race over there the same weekend.
    heysyb and DeepSea like this.
  7. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to you and your missus!

Great Job! :thumb

Steve
    heysyb likes this.
  8. Surfnjmatt

Surfnjmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Congrats!! No better feeling!! Lake Placid was on my radar for years but it lines up with my busy season at work so I could never make it happen.. Are you one and done or will there be more in your future??
  9. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If you asked me the next day, I was one and definitely done. I believe I said "Screw this shit!" on more than one occasion. Then, as the days went on, I got serious PIDS - Post Ironman Depression Syndrome - and definitely want to do another full. Thankfully I have Atlantic City 70.3 mid September to get me through the year. Mentally, at least. I'm planning just two 70.3s next year (this shit gets expensive when it's me and my wife) and in 2021 we'll do another full. For me at this distance I want to see what I can do with a new coach and better targeted plan. Ya know, cuz this year I *let* Matt Russell win. :-D
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. Surfnjmatt

Surfnjmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice! what part of jersey you in?
  11. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the Princeton area. Shore area for you I'm guessing?
  12. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading for Calgary tomorrow morning! I feel pretty good for being 10 weeks post knee surgery and hoping for a decent 70.3 on Sunday. Bib is 610 for what it's worth.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Good luck. I hope it all goes well. :thumb
    smithe likes this.
  14. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, time to head to bed. Getting up early for the 8ish hour drive to Calgary.
    DeepSea likes this.
  15. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck! I'll be tracking you and some other friends. Race well!
    smithe likes this.
  16. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hope you have great race!! I've got my fingers crossed for good weather for ya.
    smithe likes this.
  17. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, weather is going to not be ideal for the bike, cold and rainy, but I came prepared. Great running weather though! Going to be fun!
    DeepSea and heysyb like this.
  18. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Race didn’t go as planned and I am going to move on from triathlon. It’s been a mostly good 10+ years of racing but the few bad spots have undone me.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Bad race or an injury?
  20. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad race, it’s a long story but I have some issues that I don’t think I can overcome.