Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it worked out and find that it's only temporary.
  2. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear. Hope you thing sorted.
    smithe likes this.
  3. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. In the plus side my wife kicked ass and had a 29 minute pb for the 70.3 distance.

In Banff for the week now so the trip isn’t a total loss for me.

58739464220__282753A9-D860-40BA-9EF5-098800A992AC.jpg IMG_6637.jpg IMG_6665.jpg
    DeepSea likes this.
  4. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    smithe likes this.
  5. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Banff is a good consolation prize. Do the icefield parkway if you've got the time. Amazing.

You gotta get back on the horse though. Being able to ride that path in courde de lane and not taking advantage of it is no wano espically when I sooooo wana go train on it for a month or so. :D

And congrats to your wife!!
    smithe likes this.
  6. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on Ironman Lake Placid
    tridawg likes this.
  7. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a very good consolation prize, just got home after spending almost 2 hours in a line at the border and numerous other stupid lines for no good reason. We had a great time hiking and seeing as much as we could. Will be going back next summer for sure to do things we didn't do this time.

I have a gravel bike that I prefer more, I have road tires for it too for pure paved rides. We just got unpacked and my tri bike will get a couple good pics and put up for sale tomorrow.
  8. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One last go at it for the season. Anyone doing Atlantic City 70.3 today? I'll be the guy at the back #1951. If anyone's racing today have fun!
    DeepSea likes this.
  9. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checked in on the tracker. 5:31!!!!!! Not to shabby sir!!!!! And that ain't back of the pack.

At this time in two weeks I'll be half finished with the ride at Chattanooga, at least that's the plan. That'll b it for me but like a masochistic we must be I already signed up for IM tx in April.
    DeepSea, smithe and heysyb like this.
  10. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks dawg. Saw a lot of Tri Dawg people out there. Didn't know it was a club!
    Yeah, not my fastest and not my slowest. The calf issue I had during Lake Placid reared its ugly head and that put a big damper on the run. That and it was hot and humid after 50 miles of rain on the bike. No real complaints. Mrs. Syb got herself a 16-minute PR! There was much celebrating.

Good luck in Chatty. And yes, we're a bit sick in the head, two 70.3 races are already booked.
    "No really, I can stop anytime."
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  11. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't know there was a tri dawg club either. Just made it up when I signed up for advrider casue triman was taken. :D

Anyhow congrats to you and your wife. That's a good time regardless.
  12. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread! I hope someday to do an Olympic or Half Ironman.

Had anyone had problems with other racers moving their equipment?? I have had the hardest time with people moving my bike on the rack before a race. This has happened three times to me now and its drives me nuts. Each time it's lead to an argument for obvious reasons.

I always get to transition right when it opens so that I can get an end spot and inevitably someone get there late and just feels as if its ok to move me off the end and put their stuff where I was.... entitlement at its finest.

I've been doing sprints for about ten years but really only got into doing them after having kids, which means I may never be able to train to the level to get to a half ironman.

My frame is a little big for a race of that length - I'd need to drop some weight for sure. I'm 6'3 225 at the moment. If I dropped 20 more lbs, I would have a better chance at it.
    DeepSea likes this.
  13. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy!!

All the ones I've ever done have your number on the racks so no one should be moving your bike unless your on the wrong number. Sometimes the officials will re rack it if you rack it by the bars and its suppose to be by the seat or it's racked on the wrong side.

Sounds like the ones your doing are just first come first serve?? If so that does sound like a recipe for arguments.
  14. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Curious what you mean your frame is a little big for a longer race?

Ironman 70.3 Calgary has number ranges but not actual spots, my wife's bike was moved at the race last month! She was pissed.
  15. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't know they did that. I'd be pissed too.

Think by frame he means he's a big boy, no offense eatpasta. :D
  16. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I was thinking bike frame!
    For what it’s worth, a very close friend of mine has completed 4 or 5 half Ironmans this year and competed IM Santa Rosa with me last year, he is 6’4” and 290lbs or so.
  17. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have done three local events for the past 10 years or so and they do not assign you a spot on the rack so I always just get there early. So yes, it is a recipe for arguments. I emailed the organizers and they told me that there's nothing they can do about it unless a race official witnessed it. Ultimately it doesn't really matter as I'm slow and it didnt effect my time, but it the entitlement pisses me off to no end

Im 6'3 and I hover around 230. I'm usually one of the biggest if not the biggest guy waiting to dive in the ocean

:lol3

No worries. I like be able to flat foot a GS

:thumb
  18. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Thats a big boy.

My biggest issue is that with two kids and juggling two and three jobs, I just dont have time to train. I showed up, cold turkey to the last sprint.

It was fun but I was about 6 minutes slower than my slowest time.

Once the kids get a bit older and I get a few more annual raises at my current 9-5, I will be able to put a bit more time into it
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I haven't had anyone move my bike or gear yet. Although I've had people shove a bike into a spot that wasn't really a spot. Can't figure out why they would do that. Getting wrapped up into other peoples stuff surely isn't going to gain any time. :dunno

One of the things I do to prepare is walking thru transition. Walk from the swim out into T-1. Looking for markers that won't move and where my bike/row is in relationship to them. Mentally go thru the whole transition process in front of my bike. Then walk to the bike out. It helps me focus, ensures that I haven't forgotten anything and keeps things more fluid during the race.

Two kids and three jobs is quite the "workload". Good luck. Hopefully you can take some time for yourself in the near future. Maybe get the kids involved in the sport. Then training can become family time. :deal One of my boys is 26. Getting away for a run with him is always a good time.

Steve
  20. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Ive had that issue as well, when I get back from the ride, there's no place to put my bike. I have to stash the bike elsewhere and come back and put my running shoes on....

:umph

Ive carried my son across the finish line with me since he was two. This year I carried my son (now 6) and my two year old daughter across. This year after we finished I asked him to promise to me that he would carry me across the finish line someday.

He almost did the run along side me this year, but he's not quite old enough or interested enough. Maybe next year!

:thumb
    Mambo Dave and DeepSea like this.