Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190928_102819827_HDR.jpg

Here we go again. Man I'm an idiot.
  2. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    It's not your fault. It's an addiction. :lol3

Good luck. :lift
    tridawg likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Two weeks to go before shit gets real on the island.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  4. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    3766A326-83BB-4087-B2CD-C82134C91B55.jpeg
    It was hot. Damn hot! I rode the bike leg on a 2 man relay team. The announcer said 400 competitors quit during the bike portion of the event. The IM organization brought in air conditioned buses for people to cool off in along the route. Fortunately a friend gave me a tube of base salts which got me through the non stop 115 mile slog in 5:56.
    DeepSea likes this.
  6. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dayum! Congrats! Watched the footage and it looked brutally hot out there. Good on ya!
    fullmonte likes this.
  7. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Thats nuts.... well done!!

:clap
    fullmonte likes this.
  8. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn't IMMD but at least it was in Maryland! Can't run due to calf strain so aquabike it was. First overall male and what a cool trophy! A great way to end the season.

With about 6 miles to go on the bike a woman (who not only nabbed first female overall but was the *overall* winner of the aquabike) flew by me like I was standing still. I was cruising around 22 mph and she wasn't having any of it. Talking to her after and she said she can't swim for shit but is a "decent" cyclist. Yeah... decent. 20190930_092128.jpg
  9. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Congrats!!!!! And that is a cool looking trophy.
  10. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's a fast ride!! You beat me by almost an hour.

I heard about the buses but never saw them. It was hot though so I bet a few people were looking for em. I was talking to a lady after that said she heard Chatt set a record and that the heat index on the bike was 114. Not sure where she got that but whatever it was it was hot. I do the Hotter Than Hell in Wichita Falls Tx every August and it usually lives up to its name and Chatt felt about the same.

I had close, if not the slowest, time ever 13:30. Ironic cause it was the first full I've ever down without a wetsuit, cause I'm like a brick, and one of the fastest swims, 1:20. I looked at my watch when I came out of the water and thought it was gonna be a good day. Well that last till the second loop on the bike. I thought I was trained up but that heat killed me. Anyhow I finished which is really all I shoot for anyhow.

I see your from Chatt. First time I've ever been there. Neat town and the area around transition was really nice.
    Mambo Dave, DeepSea and fullmonte like this.
  11. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Congrats man, 13:30 is a very good time considering those hellish conditions. :clapI never saw the buses, but heard about them later on that night. I mounted the bike at 8:50 and returned at 2:46pm. The second loop on the bike was brutal for me as well. Mile 65 to 79 gave me second thoughts about doing this on such short notice. I got the call to fill in on a team last Wednesday. That section of route 193 and Cove road is bumpy. That horrible pavement combined with the headwind conspired against the wrists, hands, shoulders, and neck in a bad way. It was during this time that many people passed me who I had passed earlier. At one point I glanced down at the Garmin and it displayed 13 mph... on the flat part. Talk about a demoralizing experience.:lol3 I passed by a guy standing in the grass puking his guts out and realized things could be worse. :puke2The turnaround on Hog Jowl road at mile 79 provided a much needed second wind. It’s amazing how much smooth pavement and a tailwind can improve your outlook in a multi hour suffer fest. I came to the realization the next day that I drank at least 6 bottles of water without stopping to piss. Yikes. :knary
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:

decent.....

damm! first of all, congrats!! thats awesome.

And yes I have run into many people at these events that possess not really really abilities.... I would imagine that most of them are junkies

:lol3
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!

Great job. Your smile says it all. :thumb

Hope the calf heals up soon.
    Steve
  14. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm all about the cheesey smile.
    DeepSea likes this.
  15. KRS

KRS Sand.... My Nemesis

Oddometer:
    Did my 4th Sprint in September. #3 and 4 were both in 2019.

I enjoy it, and want to learn to swim better, and to run.
    smithe and DeepSea like this.
  16. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    U and me both. :D.

Congrats. Careful though. They can be addictive.
  17. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it bad that I am only slightly disappointed my youngest son (age 24) cancelled on me for a 3 day backpacking trip this weekend so now I get to watch the championships on Saturday? I went last year to spectate and volunteer and it was epic! The excitement is making me want to race again even though I said I was done plus the rumor mill has it that a little race 40 minutes from me will be back in '21.
    DeepSea likes this.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I think it's only bad if you'd canceled on him for that reason. :lol3
    Steve
    smithe likes this.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching most of the day. Plan to swim and run in the morning and then watch the race while installing the heated grips on my AT.

Rooting for my pal Ben. Guy has had some crazy workouts lately. Expecting a really good run.

DeepSea and smithe like this.
  20. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Checking back in and glad to see the regulars still at it.

I've been off anything 2-wheels for most all of summer due to a suffering a separated shoulder during a hockey game in July. Outside of a semi-regular running regime, haven't been doing anything too intensive up until about 3 weeks ago. I have been getting at it on Zwift on a regular basis for several weeks now and come to really appreciate indoor suffering and just how effective the training can be. I believe the shoulder can withstand some easy swimming and will give it a go this weekend at the local pool. Currently keeping my eye a sprint distance in early December, than penciling in a couple Oly-distance events and maybe even a HIM.

I really really miss riding my bikes, both pedal and motorcycles, but it is what it is. Glad to see everyone hammering it out. Will be trying to catch some of the superhuman event in Kona this weekend.
    smithe and DeepSea like this.