Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Take care of that shoulder and good luck with your swim. :lift

Today I'm doing some bike maintenance with the race playing in the back ground.
    Tomorrow is a long Bike/Run day (80/4).
    Next Sunday is my first and last Triathlon of 2019. It's a very well run event in Marin. Nice, almost completely protected salt water swim. A closed hilly/twisty bike course and run with just a little bit of climbing.

What's everyone else up too?:ear
  2. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Sub-2 hour marathon and another WR Kona finish.

Damn, what a weekend for endurance sports.
    heysyb, DeepSea and smithe like this.
  3. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An incredible weekend for sure. Running over 13 miles per hour for 2 hours is just insane. I did a downhill point-to-point 1-mile race on New Year's Day one year and I puked at the end. I was A) running no where near 13 MPH and B) it was only a mile. Doing that consistently for 26.2? That's other worldly.
    Kona looked like it was a great mind game for some racers. Jan was kinda just hanging out on the bike like, "Well fellas? We gonna do this or what?" And that man's run is like poetry in motion. For the women's side, I know Lucy wanted to roll the dice and last year that bit her on the behind at mile 103 of the bike. This year it was Anne Haug on the run. Haug was 8 minutes back at the start of the run and beat Lucy by 6 minutes - a 14-minute gain over 26.2 miles. Her form looked amazing from step one until the finish. What a powerhouse.
    And then the Chicago marathon women's record getting beaten by 80 seconds! Brigid Kosgei destroyed that course. She also said that women running sub 2:10 is the future!
    What a weekend to have flu-like symptoms where you sit on the couch all day Saturday and Sunday.
    I've actually been cheating on my tri bike and getting out on the motorcycle. With my season over it's time to enjoy the other two-wheeled passion. Of course, I've already signed up for 3 races next year so we'll see how much love the moto gets.
    @DeepSea you mention bike maintenance and from my last two rainy races I guess I should give the ole bike a good once-over. How'd the 80/4 day go? That Marin tri looks beautiful although, you're in CA so that kind of goes without saying. All my races and training this year except for Mirror Lake were in murky, cloudy, creature-from-the-black-lagoon type of water. I'll probably be glowing from the New Jersey water I swam in and digested.
    @NuckaMan rest up that shoulder. Speedy recovery! Movement is the new RICE formula so keep it moving as much as you can. Zwift is pretty darn cool and due to some calibration issue my wife will be going slower than me however, she flies right by me on some training rides. WTH Zwift!? :-D.
    Anyone hear ride a Felt bike? I have an older Felt and am looking at the new sexiness that is the IA line. I do find myself without a money tree though...
    I do need to get an off-season training plan because when I was training I'd eat a whole pizza by myself (tall skinny dude with hollow legs). Yesterday and because it was a Monday, I ate a whole pizza by myself. That's not going to end up well.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  4. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. DeepSea

Oddometer:

80/4 went well. Ended up turning a 7:14 min/mile off the bike then suffered thru the last 3. :puke1

Marin is a beautiful place. Just like the rest of California. It would be a great place to live, if it weren't for all the people. :lol3 The water clarity there is different all the time. Depending on where things are in the tide cycle and how much water is exchanging. It can be bluish to very brown. Never clear and tropical though. Water temps are pretty consistent of mid 50's to low 60's. Definitely not tropical.

Speaking of Felt bikes. With this next race being more technical than straight/flat. I'm using my road bike.
    [​IMG]
    Add one water bottle and it's Race Ready.
    [​IMG]
    Today was a shakedown ride. Yesterday I cleaned her up and installed my "good" pedals from the TT bike. Rear brakes are rubbing just a touch on steep climbs, but otherwise it's ready. Here's the closed road by my house that I train on quite a bit. No cars except for the occasional rancher or city worker. Biggest hazards are glass and rattlesnakes. :yikes
    [​IMG]
    It's about 3.5 miles (one way) of some relatively flat and straight with some twisty and climbing on the other end near my house.
    [​IMG]

Steve
  6. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DeepSea that is one purdy machine! I too have a tendency to go out just a lil fast off the bike. but it's all in how you recover, right? :-D
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, do any of you tri folks want/need either of the following items I'll be throwing up in the flea market? I have a Kyocera Dura Force 6560 $50 shipped, and a Ram X-Grip with 1" ball, $20 shipped. Want both? Let me know and we'll work something out. Figured I check with this gang first before posting. Let me know here or via PM.

And if this isn't kosher for any reason let me know and I'll certainly get rid of it.
  9. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's a really nice machine.

No, that was much faster than I would normally go off the bike with hills involved. Even in a race. It was a planned 2 fast miles then 2 slow miles. Ended up being one really fast (for me) mile, one sorta fast mile and two painful miles. :lol3 But you are correct. It's how you recover, regroup and continue. :thumb

So which three races did you sign up for?:ear
    heysyb likes this.
  10. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Virginia Roanoke 70.3 early June, Mussleman 70.3 (IM just took them over) in Mid July up in the Finger Lakes NY and then the Big George 70.3 in Lake George NY. My wife and I attempted the Big George in 2017 but with torrential downpours and sub 50-degree weather they cancelled the race due to many athletes (including me) getting hypothermia. Aero bars + shivering cold = no fun. They run a nice event up there and the scenery is spectacular. I may be more off my rocker than normal and sign up for IMAZ in 2020 to round out the season next year. A lot of variables though. Like sometimes I want to stay up past 8:30 pm some nights. :-).
    Who else has races planned?
    smithe and DeepSea like this.
  11. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Three halves and a possible late season full. Nice. :thumb

I haven't done any 2020 race planning aside from the one I have already in the works for Feb. Figure I'll start the planning sometime in Dec/Jan. It helps me with motivation when I really don't want to go out in the cold.
    smithe likes this.
  12. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing triathlon related since I am still thinking no more tri but who am I kidding? For now the only race I am paid up for is a 100k gravel race in Iceland next Summer. I am going to sign up for a local duathlon when it opens, 5k run, 40k bike and 10k run. Watching Kona has me fired up to figure out my issues in open water and get back at it.
    fullmonte and DeepSea like this.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Iceland? :super A place I've never been and would love to see. Definitely would love to hear about it and pictures would be a bonus. :nod

If you'd like help with the open water issues. Give me a ring or shoot me a PM. My number is still the same.
    Steve
    smithe likes this.
  14. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been on my list for a lot of years, finally taking the plunge, sadly not until next summer but there will be pics!

I may do that, still gotta wrap my head around if I am going to do tri's or not, I am close though...
    DeepSea likes this.
  15. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on, you know you want to.
    I was able to get some good help with my own issues around OWS and it was extremely beneficial. Then I just kept going to OWS practice and worked through my anxiety. It wasn't quick-and-easy but it made me more comfortable in the water. Not sure what issues you may have but I'm confident that swimming more in open water - with some coaching/assistance - can be helpful.
    smithe likes this.
  16. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The short version is in '12 I was almost drowned at IMCdA, head hasn't been the same since and sometimes I just have panic attacks which sucks considering I have completed 2 full IM's, a few half IM's and even a 1.76 mile swim only race.
  17. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy shit! Sorry to hear that. I don't know what I can offer but I'll follow @DeepSea 's lead and let you know I'm always happy to have a chat if you need.
    DeepSea likes this.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Here's one last picture before this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    Race ready. :super

Steve
    NuckaMan and smithe like this.
  19. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Every time I see Felt, it reminds of last winter when I was on a solo mountain bike ride, while I was slugging up a hill and up behind me comes a small group from Felt's XC team on a training ride. They blew past me like I was standing still. Their team manager/support rider had to be on a e-bike to keep up and he was working for it too.
  20. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry you went through that. I think anyone would understand your mindset after going through a traumatic experience like that. If this helps you any....

My cousin is a retired special operator from the Navy. And even within his former colleagues, some guys were simply not as comfortable in the water as others, regardless of their training and some guys had near-drowning experiences during training exercises. From what my cousin told me, to rebuild their confidence, they simply had them float in open water for periods of time, even with a life-vest on for the first few times. They would slowly integrate light paddling, head submerging, rotating in the water and eventually get into swimming. I think the idea was simply to get them to be comfortable in the water once again and it was a slow process.

Hopefully you can get comfortable in the open water once again. If not, totally understand as I'm sure your experience is a extremely difficult to forget and move on from.
    heysyb and DeepSea like this.