1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm not quite in full freak out mode yet but it's coming. :lol3 Race Day #1 is this Friday.
    [​IMG]

This race is self supported. We bring our own kayak and water support. Aid stations are by leap frogging the support vehicle and the athlete. No sag wagon with tools, tech or anything. If we didn't bring it. We buy it or borrow it from another crew. So that said, I packed just about every piece of gear I thought I might need. Here's what I brought not counting personal gear and camping equipment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Believe it or not. There is only running gear in this bag. I couldn't decide so ended up packing 6 pairs of shoes. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trip across the country has been exciting. Ended up catching the tail end of this last cold front. I sure wish people would slow the F@#& down. At least slow down when it's this slippery. This SUV with AWD and new rubber was slipping a little bit. There were countless wrecks. Here are just a few that were easy enough to sneak pictures of rolling past at near idle speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At least I survived the drive. :super Next step is to keep moving and not hurt myself. :imaposer

Bike inspection is done. Wednesday is athlete check in and interviews, Thursday is the mandatory race meeting. Friday thru Sunday is the race. Monday is the awards ceremony. They are kind and made it a brunch instead of a breakfast ceremony. :lol3

I'm now hanging out in Orlando. Enjoying the beautiful weather and just relaxing. I was even upgraded when I checked in.

The tub behind my bike is about 5' in diameter. That's gonna make ice baths tough. :lol3
    [​IMG]

If the crew gets some pictures during the race. I'll post them up. Worst case, I'll tell you how miserable it was. :lol3

Hope everyone's training is going well.
    Steve
    smithe likes this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Good luck. That is some proper suffering.
    smithe and DeepSea like this.
  3. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thank you :wave
  4. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the weather's a little better in Fl?
    DeepSea likes this.
  5. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Just a little bit. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    DeepSea likes this.
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thank you. :wave
  8. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Good luck and have fun @DeepSea

Looking forward in reading about how it all went.
    DeepSea likes this.
  9. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm excited. Got out yesterday for an easy 6 mile run here in Orlando. Today I put out 30 minutes on the bike at a sightseeing pace and an easy 4 mile run that kept creeping into more than easy. I've yet to master the taper. :hmmmmm

I'll definitely write something up after the dust settles and the muscles start working again. :deal

Steve
  10. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mods, I think there's something wrong with this post.
    An extra zero in one of those numbers? Or the 2 is supposed to be, what? 5, maybe?

Really, though - no fins, I'd die.
    Yikes.
    maineDave
  11. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You survive deep sea?
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I did. Lets see if I survive the drive home. :puke1

The closest thing to compare it to, is like a long night of drinking. There are some gaps in time, but I'm pretty sure I had a lot of fun. :lol3

I'll type up with some detail when I get back. I even have a few pics.
    Steve
    NuckaMan and fz6kd7 like this.
  13. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!! That's a hell of an accomplishment. Looking forward to the write up.
    DeepSea likes this.
  14. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of you swimmer types interested in this Hansen workout book, dibs here and PM me an address.
    If no takers, will be posted in the karma FM thread.

maineDave IMG_3058.JPG
  15. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Let me just jump right into this.

Thursday. I had an unusually restful night. Typically the night before a race I don't sleep much. This was so different. I had an alarm set. One of my crews duties was to make sure I was up at a specific time. Ended up waking a few minutes before the 0400 alarm.

Friday morning. The crew has volunteered to take care of all the loading, driving, prep, etc. Awesome, I'll gladly pass off the responsibility. :super

Here's my crew. This is my cousin on the left and childhood friend on the right. He got me into endurance sports just a few short years ago. I can't thank them enough for so much hard work. Taking the time away from their family, pets and careers. :wave
    [​IMG]

I was excited and relaxed at the same time. Knowing I had to pace myself over these next three days. It never felt like a race. More like long training days but without the luxury of stopping and enjoying the view. The clock is still ticking. :deal

Here we are all making are way into the water. We each had our own swim support. It's a little tougher than I expected to find a specific kayak. My cousin volunteered many months ago. We found each other pretty much at the same time. It helps that I'm slow in the water. "Just look for the sleeveless one in the back." :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Day #1 10K Swim
    Here we are before the squall rolled thru. :yikes
    [​IMG]
    I have to admit. Swimming was pretty much sidelined for the majority of 2019. According to Strava, I got in 28,531 yards all year. :lol3 Even though I was working off minimal training. It went extremely well when the weather was calm. Breathing off both sides, catching an easy/smooth rhythm came almost straight away. Until the squall came. :photogThen I was more interested in breathing air instead water. Timing the strokes, to breath on the top of the waves. Yes that flat lake turned into probably 18" chop. At one point my cousin got blown away from me with a single gust. She was a trooper and much tougher than she looks. :thumb For some reason the cameras were stowed during this weather event. The next pic only shows the overcast not the misery some people described. :lol3 I'll admit it was bumpy, which made it slow. Slower than it should've been. I think everyone made the cutoff except for one person.
    [​IMG]

Transition was pretty informal. Get out, get dry, get dressed and get gone. There is a mount line, but your crew can also help in T-1. I sat on a park bench to change. My crew grabbed my bike. Turned on the computer and got everything else ready to roll out.

Day #1 92 mile bike ride
    I treated the day 1 ride like an easy training ride. Getting out of the water 2 hours under the cutoff. Gave me a large margin for the daily 12 hour cutoff. Knowing Day 2 was my biggest challenge. It was our strategy to conserve cycling muscles. Aside from being behind the fuel curve getting onto the bike. Day 1 went exactly as planned.
    [​IMG]
    Yes that's a mirror on my helmet. Something I'm not used to and didn't really help much. It's in the rules, so it's in place. :deal

Day #2 171 mile bike ride

This was the day I was most concerned about. When I applied for this race way back early in 2019. I thought Florida was completely and entirely board flat. Then I found out that wasn't quite true.
    [​IMG]
    I learned about this not quite the week before the race, but deep enough in that it was too late to change my training regime. My strategy was to face one obstacle at a time. Nothing is a problem until it's a problem. Same mentality works at home and working. Why not here? I never looked at the data screen on my bike. Just the Nav page. No bonus miles. Keep the perceived power low enough to not kill my legs, but finish within the 12 hour cutoff. My crew had instructions to have me pick up the pace if needed. No need to save your legs for Day 3 if you DNF on Day 2. :deal
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of the race officials. :lol3 Seriously it said official on the back. Maybe I'll volunteer for this next year.
    [​IMG]
    The ride went very well. No mechanicals, no bonus miles and no drama.
    [​IMG]
    I even finished an hour faster than expected. :lift

Day #3 Double Marathon Run
    This was the day I was looking forward to.
    We got an earlier start for the run. With less equipment to lug our wake ups were about the same. Just much darker on the starting line.
    [​IMG]
    Unlike the Day 2 start where we were gridded up 2x2 based on the Day 1 bike split. The run was a mass start. Some took off like it was a half marathon or 10K :jack. I saw most all of them with in the first mile. It was exciting and very tempting. I treated it like a trail run that had very little trail. Easy peasy and save the racing for later in the day. Plus my hip flexors and glutes were a little tight from 10.5 hours on the bike yesterday. The first 10k went like clockwork with about an hour split time. Then I warmed up. Looking at my watch I was turning miles into the 9ish min/miles. No effort at all. Still jogging some of the hills. My half marathon split was around 2:10. Which coincidentally was very close to my first ever half marathon. The day was looking like a 9ish hour day. Perfect.
    Again, Florida is NOT completely flat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To quote Mike Tyson "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" :lol3
    I wasn't taking in enough fuel and especially enough salt. This snowballed. I went from being towards the front of the pack to nearly shutting down. This put me in no mans land before the end of the first marathon. :umph Mentally it wasn't going well. Not quite going to a dark place, but a feeling of despair. Then we hit the clay road. Hot, Humid, but lots of great people. Another team, with extra crew members and a vast amount of experience, picked me up to help. These guys, paced for me. Helped me diagnose what should've been obvious. Although when your brain shuts down, nothing is obvious. They got me back on track and back in the game. That nine hour finish was long gone, but making the 12 hour cutoff seemed doable.
    [​IMG]
    Once off the clay road, approx mile 39. I changed my shoes/socks and lost my pacer. They offered to come back if I needed them. Then I caught up to this gentleman from Costa Rica. We suffered together for the last half marathon. Guilting each other into running instead of walking. Vamos.
    [​IMG]
    What a feeling. Everyone that raced or crewed, stayed until the end. We suffered together and have a bond that is hard to explain. The type of people are like the ones you meet at Ultra trail races. They are quicker to help you rather than pass you. Some very incredible athletes with amazing stories.
    This gentleman beat me out of the water by close to half an hour and is the same age as my father. Very inspiring. A side note here. He has finished Badwater 3 or 4 times. :eekers
    [​IMG]
    This is everyone except for one last runner on the course.
    [​IMG]
    I'm the hooligan in the middle kneeling without a shirt on.
    One last picture. This is me at the awards ceremony trying thank everyone and not swear too much. The latter was tough.
    [​IMG]
    We all had so much fun. If you get the opportunity. I highly recommend it. When I signed up. I thought this would be a one time bucket list thing. Try to finish and just see how it goes. I'm already looking at the next one. UMAZ for 2021 and with this finish. It qualifies us for Ultraman Hawaii World Championship (planning for 2022).

Stats:
    swim 4hr 11min
    mile ride 5hr 41min (this includes T-1 time)
    171 mile ride 10hr 32min
    mile run 11hr 11min
    miles Total Race Time 31hr 37min
    24th Overall of 35 finishers

Calories burned according to Garmin devices 22,000 over the 3 days

The whole thing is still sinking in and alcohol has never tasted better. :drink

Steve
    NuckaMan and fz6kd7 like this.
  16. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats sir very impressive!!!!!!! :clap

Heck of an acomplishment. Is the trophy an anvil?

People think I'm crazy for doin ironnmans. Guess it's all relative. :D.
    DeepSea likes this.
  17. DeepSea

Oddometer:

No trophy. A medal, hand towel (sort of), framed card with the finish time and a finishers jacket. I should mention that the jacket is lightweight and can be worn almost year round. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Funny that you called it an anvil. I learned about a different type of ultra triathlon while researching this. The double anvil and triple anvils. From what I can tell it's double or triple the distance all in one shot. Not a stage race. Then there are the Deca's and double decas. Ten Ironman distance events in ten days, or double that. :eek7 Your right though. It's all about perspective. What I thought was possible only 3 years ago is completely different now. Next year I'm sure will have a different outlook.

If anyone wants to do it. I'd be glad to help. Whether it's preparation, getting a crew lined up, or just talking to an average person that sucked it up and finished. We are all capable of so much more than we think.:deal

Steve
    NuckaMan likes this.
  18. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Nothing else to say but amazing stuff @DeepSea

We all salute you
    DeepSea likes this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:

I'm volunteering to crew for the inaugural Ultraman Arizona next month. Try to get some photos from it as well.

Here's one more of myself and the crew.
    [​IMG]
    Trying to be aero. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    So happy I survived day 1
    [​IMG]
    Talking to the race director. She was so much fun. They put in a lot of effort to make the race enjoyable and light hearted.
    [​IMG]
    This is me after the 10k swim (notice no hurry to get on the bike). I didn't realize she was recording this. Thought she was taking a picture with her phone. I must've been delirious. :lol3

Steve
  20. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just reading your race report made me tired! Just amazing! Way to get it done!!!
    DeepSea and fz6kd7 like this.