1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    :D

Thank you. :wave
  2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I was at a Xmas party at my brother’s house in Roanoke. Several of his friends from the local Tri club were in attendance. They told me about the bike course (inside knowledge) and I was thinking that is going to be a rude wake up call for the unprepared folks. Make sure you have your bike geared for climbing because a 53/39 crank coupled to a 11-23 or 25 cassette won’t cut it on that course. I would suggest a compact or mid compact crank with a 11-28. This advice is worth far more than the price.
    DeepSea likes this.
  3. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to post. IMTX got cancelled so you guys may already know but if your planning on any races might check into em before you commit to it. Doubt they'll take your money now, course with IM they might, but it might effect any training you were planning on if you were thinking about a couple races a yr. IM still hasn't said what they're gonna do with my registration fee and/or the race.

I sign up for the half in Lubbock every year right when it becomes available. it's not till June and I've already got an email from them saying they're monitoring the situation. Sure hope it all comes to pass by then.

Anyhow hope everyones staying healthy.
    smithe and DeepSea like this.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow will mark two weeks since I last swim. That's my longest break from swimming in at least 15 years. Feels horrible but can't complain compared to what many others are going through right now. Still running 3X week plus 2 bike rides. Put together a cheap home gym set up as well.
    DeepSea likes this.
  5. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and me both. Last time I swam was right when all this started. I jokingly ask when I got there if I could swim and the lady said yeah but no more than 250 people in at one time. Ahh the good old days.

One thing though is as terrible a swimmer as I am when all this over I'll pretty much be right where I was.
    DeepSea likes this.
  6. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    For swimming, take a look at these. https://nzcordz.com/strechcordz/. They work really well. A good friend of mine set her IM swim PR swimming once a week in the water and all other swim training with these. It's definitely not the same as being in the water but they sure help with not losing so much swim fitness.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have some elastic chords similar to that that I have been using. One of the exercises I have been doing is similar to the one in the video, but I tie the chords off a few inches from the ground and then lay down on my floor a so that I am reaching back behind/above my head and grabbing the handles. I can then do long intervals of this swimming motion without being hunched over like the guy in the video. You still get the feeling of little resistance at the start of your stroke and then increased resistance as you pull through.
  8. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I'll have to look at it some more. I've been kind of blowing off non-work emails lately. There has been some serious lack of training motivation these last couple weeks. With work now under control and the weather improving. Hopefully things go back to semi normal very soon.

You ought to post after you finish. I'm sure we could all use some motivation. :lift
    Steve
    smithe likes this.
  10. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have almost no training motivation right now, the only thing that has been keeping me training is my wife is motivated. I signed up for this virtual thing with some friends hoping it will help a little. First 2 races of the season are already postponed and I suspect the way things are going IMCDA 70.3 in June isn't going to happen either.
    DeepSea likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    My schedule right now is Mon and Fri, home "gym" workout, Tues, Wed, Sat, 1hr to 1:45hr run, Wed and Sun 2 hr bike rides. I don't quite feel fit without swimming but I have goals.
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    That's great the missus is keeping you going. Mine has a list of honey do's that keep getting bigger. :lol3 Today the sun has peaked out for the first time in quite a while and I feel different. I'm going to ride the wave and keep it going. Get out for a run or ride and get back on track.:lift

With the downtime, I've been working on a new hydration/fueling strategy. Putting together bits and pieces of whats worked and what hasn't. With this extra time before the next race, will be some good testing time. I'm a lot like my border collie. I need something to focus on. :lol3

Good luck with the motivation. It's definitely contagious...either direction.:deal

Steve
    smithe likes this.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Have you ever had problems with your sinus's in the pool? Towards the end of last year. The indoor pool at our gym got noticeably cleaner. It also would set off my sinus's for 2 days (it didn't before then). Totally stuffed up like bad allergies or a cold. Tried Vaseline in the nostrils but still had issues (slightly less). I'm guessing they switched chemicals or started using a whole lot more. I'm to the point of trying a different gym, even though this one is just a couple blocks away. They have an outdoor pool that I plan to try, but its not heated. :vardy Apparently I'm getting softer as I get older. :lol3

Steve
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I haven't swam in an indoor pool in probably over 20 years. The only time I have sinus issues are frequently after swimming in the middle of the day. Doesn't seem to matter which pool I swim in but I often having sneezing fits an hour or so after a day swim. I usually swim early morning. It's possible a reaction so sunscreen though I don't have any reactions to sunscreen when i am not swimming.
    DeepSea likes this.
  15. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motivation to train? What IS that? I had 6 races scheduled for the this year but don't anticipate actually doing any of them. I'm trying to figure out if I'm headed for weight watchers or AA meetings when we return to 'normal'. Whatever that may wind up being.

Btw, weight watchers is leading since I've decided to say to hell with my liver.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  16. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  17. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the "race" which you can split up over the course of 3 days. I did the parts out of order, I ran the 10k yesterday and did the 40k bike today with the "swim" 3k run off the bike. Splits were.
    10k run 44:45 7:06 pace
    40k bike 1:07:51 22mph @192w avg power
    3k run (swim) 12:29 6:39 pace

I wasn't super happy with the 10k. I have, and can, run faster off the bike. I blame the heat cause I need an excuse for some dumb reason, it was about 70 degrees out and I am used to running in the 40's. Bike felt really great, right about where I hoped to be. The 3k off the bike felt pretty good.

Next weekend I think is a virtual Sprint race.
    DeepSea likes this.
  18. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's still pretty quick!!

Congrats!!
    smithe likes this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Nice work. :thumb
    smithe likes this.
  20. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. It was sort of fun and is giving me a little drive. One bummer is in the standings you can see that people are gaming the system on their smart trainers. Non pros in my 50-54 age group averaging 37+ mph on the bike isn't very realistic especially when you see their run performance. The pros aren't that fast! From what I understand of some apps you can change your weight so it makes you much "faster" because your watts to weight ratio is really high.

Anyway, it's still fun and I am racing for me. This weekend is a "sprint", 1.5km run, 20k bike and 3k run and I plan on doing this one all on Saturday. https://app.ironmanvirtualclub.com/en/
    DeepSea likes this.