1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Maybe they did a downhill "course"? :dunno :lol3

A friend of mine from Florida asked me to help with a Virtual Duathlon (1.5m Run 10m Bike 1.5m Run) on April 25th. It's a fund raising thing for the Gary Sinise Foundation to help hospitals, first responders, and military purchase protective gear. The weather here has turned nice and the motivation is coming back. :super Great timing.

Hope everyone is staying healthy. :deal
  2. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to check that out. I'm still riding and running just not as much as I was. I'm justifying it by saying that if it wasn't for Corona IMTX would be two weeks out so I'd be tapering anyways but it seems that I've been tapering for the last month or so. :D
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  3. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't type, that should be a 5k on the end of that sprint not 3k.
    DeepSea likes this.
  4. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @smithe Still a great effort! Nice work!
  5. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to train to IM levels if you aren't going to race, I don't think it's really all that healthy but what do I know? I feel like I have been tapering all year :rofl
    DeepSea likes this.
  6. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your right. What do they say, 45 minutes of moderate exercise 3-4 times a week or sumin like that? I think we all probably do a little bit more than we need to, :D
  7. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Today's "sprint" went well.
    1.5k run 5:55 6:08 pace (I ran just slightly over)
    20k bike 24:41 30.4mph @195w avg power (I was getting some drops to 0 from my power meter so not sure about this number, I spent a lot of time over 250w and except for the drops I never saw less than 220 and even pushed 308w for a bit. I didn't expect anything out of my run off the bike because my legs were jello, my avg cadence was 108, I am usually in the 80's.
    5k run 21:32 6:55 pace, super solid run and I was sure my legs would give out at any moment. I felt better than last week and could have kept on going, I negative split my miles.

Next weekend is a half IM, 5k run for the swim, 56 mile bike and of course 13.1 miles of running. On the fence about signing up, I have not been training the bike enough, or heck the run for that matter.
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Great job. :lift
    smithe likes this.
  9. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

They changed it up, the upcoming race is an Olympic again. 3k run (swim) 40k bike, 10k run.
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that. I set up my account and only saw the Sprint. However after seeing how many watts you pushed I don't no if I Wana play. :D.

Nice job!!
    DeepSea likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Well, I knocked out the second marathon of my life this morning. 20 years after the first. Instead of running with thousands of other people as I did the first time , this was a solo effort. The idea popped into my head to do one early last week and then my friend sent me a picture of his garmin summary from a 200 mile ride, so I figured I should hold myself accountable for something. Temps heading into the 90's later this week so today was the day, with a max training run distance of 14 miles, no real tapper or training strategy other than running 3 times a week, 9-14 miles per run. 7:30 pace is a comfortable pace for my longer runs so that was my goal, not knowing how bad my body might react past mile 20. Up until mile 16 my pace was around 7:20 which was pretty easy , and then it slowly started to drop. At about mile 21 things got pretty ugly, but I struggled my way to complete it. Basically did two 13 mile loops, quickly stopping half way to refill my water bottle and to grab clif bar. Carrying a bottle for 26 miles sucked. Ended up with a 7:39 average pace which considering how slow the last 5 miles were is OK. If the damn pools were open I wouldn't be doing this sort of thing.

Attached Files:

UngaWunga, smithe and DeepSea like this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Great Job!:lift
    swimmer likes this.
  13. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work!
    swimmer likes this.
  14. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And you didn't have all the other people around so you may have been a little faster running with others. Congrats!!!

Second tri of the year that I had signed upa paid for has been canceled. Memorial day no go. at least they'll refund my money or let me put it towards other events. IM is still sitting on our money. :dirtdog
    swimmer likes this.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    One of my friends talked to one of the pro German triathletes. Seems like their pools are starting to open now. Wish we were in the same circumstances here.
    DeepSea likes this.
  16. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jawjaw (Georgia) is opening gyms up today. Maybe the rest of the country will soon follow.

They're opening gyms and barbers two things I'm starting to need pretty bad.
  17. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I wouldn't be going to a gym in Georgia.... They're opening some businesses and not others due to political reasons. No harm in holding off for a little bit more.
    swimmer likes this.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I will be getting into a pool ASAP when they open because they are all outside here but the gym can wait a bit after opening. My wife would insist on me waiting even if I wanted to go right away. I've made a set up at my house that gets me by for the time being.
  19. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This weekend is definitely the 70.3 virtual race. I work this weekend so I will probably have to miss it even though I am tempted to fit it in.

This past weekend's olympic went pretty well for me, I was faster at all 3 doing the exact same courses and settings on my trainer, :28 faster on the 3k, 10:51 faster on the bike and 1:02 faster on the 10k.
    DeepSea likes this.
  20. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So IMTX was moved to Waco on Oct 17th. Its the same weekend as the Waco 70.3, full Sat half Sunday. Evidently it will be the first time this has ever happened so if you've been thinking about doing a full and a half the same weekend here's your chance. They also pushed the start time of the half back to 11 AM so you can sleep in too.

Paging Deep Sea to the courtesy phone.