1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triathlon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fifthcircle, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Now that does sound fun. :lol3

I'd probably be in rough shape that weekend. Of the three races I have left for the year. The toughest of them is the previous weekend (Oct 10-11). Old Cascadia 100M LINK. It's a 100 mile trail run with 25,000' of elevation gain in the Oregon Cascades.

While were talking about self abuse. I started looking at the Oregon Double Anvil LINK.
    It would be much easier on my crew than UMFL was. Instead of following me around in a rented van. They stay in the park and wait for me to come back around. The downside is you do a ton of laps inside a park. I don't particularly like training that way (laps). Racing might be different. :dunno Anyone ever do a race with multiple laps? I signed up for the Brazen Dirty dozen LINK. It's a local 12hour trail race that is a lapped course. Lets see if I hate it or not. :wave

Hope everyone is doing well,
    Steve
  2. patriciagon

patriciagon n00b

Oddometer:
    hello, i really like this blog, I have always liked sports, especially riding a bicycle, I'm from Venezuela
    upload_2020-5-13_12-29-41.png
  3. patriciagon

patriciagon n00b

Oddometer:
    Since I was 10 this sport has fascinated me and I always watch videos of triathlons and other races, it is very important to see the documentaries
    upload_2020-5-13_12-31-13.png
  4. patriciagon

patriciagon n00b

Oddometer:
    As always I like to prepare to ride a bike, in
    123movie I found some great videos for the preparation before the races and after

Attached Files:

5. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are we so quiet, o yeah Corona.

They were going to try to pull off Ironman Lubbock this past weekend. I had signed up and was planing on leaving Saturday morning. Got a email Thursday morning saying it was cancelled. I was following the facebook thread and several people had already headed out on Thursday. Feel really bad for them.

Doesn't speak well for the rest of this years races. Kinda sounded like Lubbock was being watched to see what may happen with later races. Doesn't bode well.

As of today Ironman Tx, which was cancelled and re scheduled for October, is still on. If it gets cancelled I just hope they do it earlier rather than later so I can be lazy.

Hope everyone's staying health.
    DeepSea likes this.
  6. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    That seems to be the theme. I had a trail race set for the 4th of July. It was cancelled on Friday. Lucky for me it's local. So, no harm no foul. They are giving 100% credit for any of their races. Not a huge event either, but sometimes I'm surprised who travels to where and why.

Here's a triathlon for you. The Guardsman. There's a bit of climbing, higher altitude and it's self supported. Definitely not an easy course. There is still swim safety provided, so that may be the deal breaker regarding social distancing/gathering requirements. Like a handful of Race directors they are still optimistic it will go. :lol3 I was going to register, then the very next day I hurt my forearm. Lifting something heavy with one hand. There was a loud pop and some pain. Called my chiropractor/sports doctor and he determined it's likely a "radial pop" (or something that sounded like that) but could be a partially torn tendon. Taping it like you do for tennis elbow has helped a lot. Still thinking about registering though. :lol3

Stay safe everyone.

Steve
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    2020 has been challenging to say the least.
    Is IM Texas still happening and are you going?

Does anyone else have races going on?

A quick update from my end.
    • The Guardsman in Utah was canceled until 2021
    • The Old Cascadia 100M trail race was canceled until 2021 after being pushed back until Oct
    • There was a convenient Olympic distance Triathlon (Shaver Lake "Mile High" Triathlon). This outfit does 3 Tri's a year. One in July, August and September. A friend of mine did the one in August and loved it. I have a job in the mountains East of Fresno. We were set to lodge in Shaver lake mobilizing on Sept 20th for work starting on the 21st. The starting line is less than a mile from the cabin (not even warm up distance). Bringing a bike, an extra wetsuit and driving the night before was very doable. Now there are big forest fires running thru the area. The race and the job haven't been canceled yet, so I'm hoping things turn out. Feeling a little guilty about my concerns with lots of people losing everything.
    • About 2 days after the 100M race was canceled. I found this race LINK. The Pony Express 100M. Much different than the planned mountain race. Only 3,000' of elevation gain with 4,000' of loss. This week I got an email that says everything is still a go. With the small field of entries, a staggered start and self supported (no aid stations), there is a high likely hood it will happen. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :lol3
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Steve
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  8. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well its still on as of now. I deferred to October so I'm paid up so the plan is to go but it wont hurt my feelings if they cancel it. I haven't swam in months and haven't really done many long rides so it'll be interesting. As long as its wet suit legal I can just float along but the rest of it will be tough. Planning on doing a long run in the morn.

I have a feeling it wont happen. They're planning on the full Saturday and the half Sunday and the Baylor Bears have a home game on the same Saturday so I just don't see how the town can handle all that. UT plays this weekend and they're only allowing 25,000 in the stadium but even if Baylor does something like that that's still alot people in town and road closures to go with it. I get they're trying to do everything they can but I sure wish they'd hurry up and make up their minds.

Those fires are horrible. Really feel for those folks. Hope the race goes forward but like you say about feeling guilty it is a small thing if it doesn't considering what else is going on.
    DeepSea likes this.
  9. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. Following!

Been biking more seriously for a few years. Ran and swam in high school, figured I would tie it together. Have done a few friendly sprints with a friend over the past year. Purchased a cheap TT bike on FB a few months ago so I guess I'm a real Triathlete now. I've been getting grief from my cyclist friends for a while now for my sleeveless jerseys and lack of tall socks, so I guess it fits.
    Whodatschrome, smithe and DeepSea like this.
  10. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    "I've been getting grief from my cyclist friends for a while now for my sleeveless jerseys and lack of tall socks, so I guess it fits."

:lol3 Welcome. I train alone 99% of the time, so I don't take much grief. :lol3

Here's a LINK to the Strava ADV tri club, in case your into that sort of thing.

Steve
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  11. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome and I added you to the group of 4 or 5 of us.

I haven't been as active as I would like to be but until the smoke rolled in from the fires my pool was open and I have been swimming 2-3 times a week and it's been fun. Haven't been running or cycling much, my season ended last week wen they pushed 70.3 Indian Wells to next year. I am deploying and will be gone until mid to late August next year but am signed up for 70.3 Maple Valley, 70.3 Indian Wells and will be doing IM AZ between the two of those. Training will be interesting while I am gone but I can run and pedal on a spin bike some.

Hope all is well with everyone during these weird times.
    DeepSea and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Here's one more for you that would fit into that schedule. :D Ironman California LINK. I'll be watching for them to put the course up on the website. If your interested in the race. I could probably get up there and pre-run the course and send you the GPX file. It's about an hour from my house. Plus I typically drive thru there every other week.

Good luck with your training and deployment.
    Steve