Trip planning - 5 days out of KL

Discussion in 'Asia' started by 4Skins, Aug 14, 2019.

1. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer:
    Hey Malaysian Adventurers. I'll be coming up from NZ to the Sepang MotoGP in November. I've given myself 5 days before the GP to explore the country around KL. Wanting to hire a 150cc bike and travel light with just a backpack and not too much planning. Am staying near KL Sentral station and wanting to start riding Sun 27th Oct and return Thurs 31st.

Any advice on bike hire and route planning would be appreciated. Probably wanting to do max 200km per day. I have lots of riding experience both on and off-road so anything is possible.

Johnny '4Skins' Forsyth
    Wellington NZ
    KTM790R Adv
  2. alijanah

alijanah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I don't have experience renting 150cc bikes in West Malaysia but I guess googling them should give you plenty of choices compared to renting bigger capacity bikes. West Malaysia have excellent road system with huge major highways equipped with numerous rest stops. Smaller village roads are also excellent to be honest. The smaller bikes ride on the left most inner lane next to the edge of the major highway as the speed differential are quiet big. Cars are usually driven at a fast rate of speed on the major highways (except on speed camera zone which are posted well way in advance). The best thing is motorcycle do not pay highway tolls and also bridge tolls (going into Penang Bridge). You will find dedicated motorcycle lane on the left most side and proceed through.

As far as routes are concerned, it really depends on where you want to go specifically. For 5 days, I would definitely go up to Genting Highlands in the morning (for a bit of cool air). You can proceed down and head to Cameroon Highland too (they have beautiful tea plantation and nice scenery all around). Roads are excellent, lots of nice twisties. Head up to Penang Island via Ipoh. This is my favourite destination as the food are great with old school charms aplenty. Penang is a major tourist destination so do expect lots of traffics and people. I guess you can go to Malacca from Penang (which is a bit of a drive). Malacca is a historic town with plenty of things to see and explore. The roads are not that interesting btw as it's mostly major highways. Since Malacca is only about 100km (about less than an hour depending on your speed via major highway) or so from Sepang, you can head down to MotoGP on your last day. West Malaysia is huge and there are plenty of beautiful roads to explore but you simply do not have the time in 5 days. The ride to Genting Highland and Cameroon Highland should be on your list. If you are feeling that you need more endless tight twisties going uphill, the ride to Fraser Hills should be on your list. (if you are going to attempt this, do this after Genting Highland and before Cameroon Highland as it's on route).

Anyway, enjoy your holidays and safe ride.
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    There didnt seem to be much off road riding when i was there but some great twisty roads to be found. Take any back road you can find as the motorways are boring. As mentioned Camron highlands, Genting and Fraser. Don't be in a hurry and explore.
  4. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey 4skins,

Still looking for a route or you have that planned? Was wondering what you are interested in. Nice twisties or picturesque countryside or historical places or local culture. Some routes covers some of these but not all. Be great if you could narrow down what you want to see :-)

Jason.
  5. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer:
    Hi Jason

It got too hard so we're going to just 'wing it'. Prolly going to head north out of KL into the highlands then east a bit and down the middle arriving in Malacca on the Wednesday to catch up with some mates. I'm sure it'll all work out OK. Like they say the adv begins when the plan turns to shit. What's the worst that can happen to two overgrown teenager foreign gents in a foreign land??

Johnny
  6. Ironchef

Ironchef Warren

Oddometer:
    I have ridden there twice and to the north of KL is terrific roads but now it is difficult to obtain a rental motorcycle in Malaysia.
    If you manage to obtain a rental I would suggest (if applicable from pick up location) to ride east and then north via Karak to avoid navigating KL's expressway network.
    Frazers Hill is a fantastic ride and great place to stop and explore a night also.
    The best riding roads go up/down to the Cameron highlands.
    Route 102, 59 and 181/185 are superb. Avoid the big main highways.