Trip Planning for a Chile/Argentina loop

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'm not wedded to a certain route....I could always park the bike and do a bus to the southern tip of Chile. If I'm riding for a couple months, a day or two in a bus is kinda nice. I'm a flexible person, routes change, just go with it.
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yep, my post is a data point, nothing more. I'm not claiming my experience is the sole possibility so I don't know why anyone would think that. And not using electrics b/c they will eventually fail is interesting logic for a motorcycle rider considering the failure rate of parts. I use paper maps, gps, and a compass when I ride and guess what? All three mediums have been wrong at one point or another. And the GPS has been the most reliable compared to paper. Not even close. Being prepared is all about redundancy, you better have some in your plan no matter where you travel.
  3. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down in Ancud, there is a Perguin rookery. This is one of the few times on the tour that time pressure prevented us from doing everything we wanted. We rode down to a place that said "penguineras" but had done no research on the place. We didn't really find anything (other than an amazing coastline and beautiful New Year's morning ride) but one of the local fishermen offered to take us out to the penguins. This was during a morning that my father-in-law and I had gone out early to explore and realized that we didn't have time to take the man up on his offer.

In checking into things, it turns out it would have been easy to do but we just didn't have the resources on hand and time just didn't permit it.
  4. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Oh, if you're riding Chile, be sure to pick up the COPEC map (you get it at the COPEC gas station). It's about the best paper map you can get for Chile.
  5. SUD-MAR

SUD-MAR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think March and April would be good months for riding as you will be avoiding the School break (holidays) which starts as from end November to early March. During January and February a lot of Argentineans go on holidays also tourist from all over the world visit Argentina in summer, so roads become more dangerous and all places are crowded and expensive.

Personally, I would prefer riding as from say mid February to end of March or even mid April

As to weather, March/April are months somehow unpredictable you will have all types of weather along your ride in Patagonia, thus better to be well geared. Nights will be for sure cold all around Patagonia.

Here you can see all the roads in Chile:
    http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/mapas.html

Here you can see all the roads in Argentina: just click on "MAPA DE LA ARGENTINA" a new page opens and then click the number so to see the map.
    http://www.aca.org.ar/servicios/cartografia/frame.htm

A nice web page with a lot of tourist info of Patagonia, Chile and Argentina
    http://www.interpatagonia.com/index_i.html

Saludos & Buenas Rutas
  6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    The penguins all leave some time in the late fall. I rode all the way there and didn't see any at all. They were gone. All just... gone.
  7. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Slippery buggers!
  8. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do March/April. I can end a job I'm working on and have plenty of time to ship my bike.
    I have the idea that I'll pack for cold and just put up with some hot weather if I encounter it.
    I'll spend some time on these links thanks!
    I'll go dark starting Aug 10th as I'll be on my Portugal ride...here is my post.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725070

But I'll be in touch after I return end of Sept and continue. I'm pretty decided based on the great info /responses I've gotten here (thanks everyone) and am 75% decided to do this ride. All I need are riders to go with...
  9. Vladtux

Vladtux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, Im local from Santiago , Chile :D welcome :D

The best months for me are between oct-nov-dec, the rest are so cold or too much rainy. If you wanto start like march-april, maybe you can start for the north of Chile-Argetina and enjoy the desert then goes to the south :)

How say Misery Goat before you can buy one copec guide, there are all the route in Chile, just check this is web version

http://www.chileturcopec.cl/node/16

Here is Chile is very quite, the police are safe (no corruption) and are really friendly with girl's drivers, plus if they are riding a motorbike :D jejeje

If you have another question or dude just send me a PM

And good luck with trip!

Vlad
  10. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Interesting you offer these months, everyone else is saying Dec-Mar. What is the rainy season there?
    I went to New Zealand around Nov and didn't see the sun once....don't want to make that mistake again.
  11. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're looking at a huge area, several thousand miles from north to south, with several main weather patterns and innumerable local variations. For example, January is early rainy season in the Andes of Bolivia and northern Chile--the salars flood, there's spotty rain and snow on the passes as described above, and even major blizzards from time to time. However, that's the warm season in the far south, and it's an agreeable time along the Patagonia sections of Ruta 40 and the Caraterra Austral up through the Lakes District too, because their storm track has shifted south for the summer. In fall and winter that stormy weather migrates north 10 degrees or so, giving lots of snow through the southern Andes, but generally more stable, drier weather back in Bolivia. I've heard the wind dies down in Patagonia too, but maybe that's just a rumor.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Beware all sweeping generalizations, including mine. Having said that, November/early December probably offer the best combination of dry in the Bolivia/northern Chile/northern Argentina Andes, with relative warmth and fine weather in Patagonia and the Lakes.

However: did I mention the wind? Heh heh.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
  12. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Very.
    I guess I'm a bit ambitious. My first ride was 9 countries in 6 weeks. :)

Wind. Yeay, well I know how to deal with that...learned the prefect bike position for that and it helps to have a heavy bike which the Tiger is.

If I do Nov/Dec then I might have to put this off for another year as I'm doing a month long ride starting next week. Shoot.
    Maybe I can do 2 rides....
  13. chelo5sur

chelo5sur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I m living in PuertoMontt since 20 years
    and i could say that rain season ussually begins end of march till half nov , but you can get HEAVY HEAVY rain all
    year round.
    If you come in march i Think it s better move to the south and ride to the north later,
    could be good , but also very rainy ,more than cold

Chile is more rainy than argentina ,
    i m just talkin from Puerto Montt to the south
    just an opinion

From Puerto Montt to the south we get around 1000kms road , more of them gravel , called Carretera austral
    nice landscapes , forest , river , glacier, springwater etc...
    good luck
  14. mrtuc

mrtuc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can know Argentina and Chile from north to south by pavement roads in good conditions at any time of year without any kind of extra risk. People are generally friendly and willing to help.
    There are no wars or guerrillas and so, no region of tension. Nothing to avoid, except (as in all the countries) some parts of the big cities.
    Argentina has hundreds of touristic regions as Cataratas del Iguazu, La Quebrada de Humahuaca, Los Valles Calchaquies, El Valle de la Luna y Talampaya, Los Esteros del Ibera, La Patagonia , El Glaciar Perito Moreno, etc, etc quite distant from each other (you can find a lot of information of this palces on internet). There are other fantastic places that there are not in the tourist circuit, where you must arrive by dirt roads ( Quebrada de las Flechas, Viaducto la Polvorilla in the “ruta 40” look thishttp://viajeros.freeservers.com/ ).
    As Markh said, you're looking at a huge area, several thousand miles from north to south, with several main weather patterns and innumerable local variations (As an example, where I live, Tucuman (in the north of Argentina), there are now 28 cº, and in Usuahia (in the south) there are 3º), that’s why there is not better or worst season to visit “all” Argentina.
    You can download free maps of Argentina , Chile , Uruguay and Bolivia for Garmin GPS (you need to have the program MapSource) from www.proyectomapear.com.ar
    If you need advises for the north (Tucuman, Salta , Jujuy , Catamarca) I can help you.
    Marcos
  15. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    This has helped me decide that this is not a single ride.

I'll start working on 2 different 3-5 week rides.

I'm in France now and still tracking to make Portugal by end of the week. So EXCITED (and somewhat exhausted)
  16. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Portugal is great, with fun riding, good people, lots to see, and cheap prices. Enjoy!

Always good to see people staying engaged here rather than posting a series of questions and then vanishing without a trace. Hope to hear more about your various trips.

Mark
  17. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    I am back from my ride to Portugal. Still posting my RR but will be done soon.

I am now available in January and on to do a ride in S America. My current client assignment is ending a few months early. That's full summer so less worry about snow and rain.

If there are any seriously interested parties to do a ride early next year....I'm all ears and open to whatever time length and route.
  18. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! somebody there said wind... let me tell you, 50 MPH winds with up to 72 MPH blasts. February will be one of the windiest months in Patagonia.

At the bottom (South) you could expect a city every 200 Kms with nothing in the middle, absolutely nothing and some times the only gas station is out of gas, so keep a full rotopack handy.

I live in BA and have several friends in Argentinian Patagonia, and a Few in the north so feel free to PM me if you need some assistance/guidance or if you want to keep my cell handy just in case.

Maps are available and very detailed and being you a "paper router" I would recommend you the "Atlas de Rutas" map book, you can buy it at any ACA (Argentinian Automobile Club) station (Don't care, you will note the ACA stations in every city as they are always huge)
  19. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Now THAT sounds like an adventure. I'll ship my Tiger 800 XC so hopefully the extra 150lbs (over my F650 BMW) will keep me from being blown right off the road. Thanks for the warning.

:clap
  20. Manolito

Manolito Patagonia guide

Oddometer:
    110km/h winds today, and some snow a few days ago..... What can I say?.... Patagonia is like this :rofl:D