1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Trip Planning Needed DC to Toronto and Back

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CinKo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. CinKo

CinKo I Break Stuff

Oddometer:
    Need some middle-end destination help for a trip from the DC area up to Toronto and back.

This is a planned 4 day ride about 240-270 miles a day as I have it now. We are leaving Thursday May 2nd and getting back Sunday the 5th.

The issues is, I had a route planned but when booking the hotels today: option number 1 and option #2 to stay at on the return leg home, were already full. At this point the destination we had is not really worth driving too as it was a non-sight seeing spot, and we were just going for that hotel on the water.

With that said I want to rethink the drive back from Toronto and I am really interested in hearing anyone's suggestions here. I am leaving Toronto Saturday Morning and need to be back to DC area on Sunday evening. What location is best to hit in the NY/PA area as a mid stop for Saturday night?

I either want the drive to be worth it, some good back roads or nice open views and then I am happy with a small town hotel stop. Or the Hotel is in a fun area with things (ie drinks) to be had.

I should note, I'm on a Ducati 916 so I would like to make sure I'm keeping the ride time in focus so venturing from Toronto to New York City in one day may be approaching impossible in that riding position for me. Would like to keep the days 250-300 if possible but definitely not exceeding 400 in any one day, or I may become a paraplegic.

Posted A map image of the planned map. I should point out we will be heading from SE DC to Annapolis the night before (or early in the morning. Checking gear and leaving Annapolis at 9-930am on Thursday. The red line is the route we will be taking into Canada. The blue line is Googles suggestion as shortest path back, and more than likely... the dullest drive. And last, the greys are probably the maximum borderline route options back.

The loose itinerary as of right now is:
    Thursday we will leave Annapolis and be driving up to Ridgeway PA and stopping for the night. Next morning (Friday) we will hit the roads through the national forest /state park and stopping at Niagara falls around lunch time Friday. After lunch we will head to Toronto and stop there Friday night. Saturday we wake up and head... well where do we head??
    Trip.png
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    You might want to look at rts 120, 144 and 44 in PA if you actually want to have fun on a motorcycle.
    CinKo likes this.
  3. CinKo

CinKo I Break Stuff

Oddometer:
    Okay, just got a path that takes 44 out back down. It looks like at the end of 44 would be a good mid point. Anything in the circled area a good place to stop at?
    Trip2.png
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    By "stop at," do you mean a place to stay overnight or for a rest along the way?

If the former, I am sure they could find a nice room here for you:

https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/lew/

Williamsport has a bunch of modest motels.
    CinKo likes this.
  5. CinKo

CinKo I Break Stuff

Oddometer:
    lol! I sure hope that's not the way the night ends.
    I would be quite happy going the rest of my life without another night in the Gray Bar Hotel.

I'll check Williamsport
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    If you can spare the time, you might want to visit Centralia. Maybe get a teaberry shake at Danny's Drive in in Ashland. And, if you are into coal, visit the tourist sites in Ashland.

Rt 61 has some fun parts from Shamokin south.
  7. CinKo

CinKo I Break Stuff

Oddometer:
    Got it all booked, thank you and I really appreciate your input Riteris