Trip Planning - Southwest

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by MarkSu, May 20, 2002.

1. MarkSu

MarkSu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure into which forum to put this, so I'll start with my fellow GS'ers and let it get moved as appropriate.

I have to attend a conference in Scottsdale, AZ in mid-August this year. I am considering taking a couple of days before and after the conference and riding my GS down there from Seattle. MapQuest says it's about 1500 miles each way -- going through Salem, Sacramento, LA and Phoenix.

I have never ridden in the Southwest or Southern CA. Other than the obvious stuff -- "It'll be hot." "Carry plenty of water." "Find a way around LA." -- I'm wondering if there are any other significant factors I should consider before committing and telling my employer not to buy the plane ticket? I assume people still ride down there in the heat. . .yes?

Any feedback from those familiar with the area would be appreciated.

MDS
  2. epilido

epilido Thawing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in north west phoenix. I have been thinking of going up to choppa's house in july. I think that the route through idaho and utah would be a much better choice. Interstate 90 -82-84-15-to utah road 89 in kanab then page flagstaff and down into phx. keeps you outa the bad nasty hot stuff across socal and arizona. If you come thast way savor the cool temps in flagstaff prolly in the 80-90 range midday and then into the blast furnace of arizona in august. you could see standard temps in the 110 or higher area. my gs hasn't had any problems with the heat unless you get stuck sitting somewhere. Just holler if you wanna go for a ride while your down here.
  3. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    Hey!!! I resemble that you MF!

Epilido has the right idea. Maybe longer, but safer. Stay away from the deserts, Nevada, Ca Mojave, etc, during August. ESPECAILLY from LA to Phoenix!

I was dumb and did Phoenxi to LA in July a couple of years ago. DUMB, dumb, dumb. To be honest, I didn't pack enough water. Amazing how much one can drink and still piss dark yellow (not good), and have headaches, cramps, etc.

Remember to wear long sleaves, pants. Direct sun is a killer.
  4. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    Dood!
    Scottsdale in AUGUST! You've got to be kidding me.
    Tip-if it looks like a ghost town it's because all the natives have gone to San Diego for the month.
    I agree 100% on any route that keeps you at elevation as long as possible..
    Also muy importante-when it rains down here don't go trying to cross the street when it looks like a river runs through it-the desert don't soak up much water, and it'll drown yer ass just crossin' the street...now, lessee....we also have scorpions, rattlesnakes, venomous spiders, and gila monsters so take you rest stops in developed areas.
    When you stop for gas fill your riding suit with ice and water for that lovely evaporative cooler sensation....Finally, if you're not peeing CLEAR you're not drinking enough water..
  5. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Two laws of inland summer riding:

High and wild = Cool (That's a good thing)

Low and civilized = Hot (That's a bad thing)
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Great! I'm gonna be there too. Just not sure which date. I realized today that I've got a company-forced week of riding from June 30 - July 7. I was planning to take a week of vacation on top of it, which means I'd need to be back home in SJ by July 14. That leaves me with a blast back home on July 13, missing Mrs. Choppa's famous breakfast and a SS1K. Not gonna do that.

Yes, I realize I've already moved the location of the ADVrally about 1000 miles to the Northwest, but I think I'm also going to have to pull in the dates.
    Is this a stoopid idea?

I knew it got hot in the Mojave Desert in CA, but I never dreamed it could frequently be the hottest place in the country. It really sucked hot last week when I ran down through Riverside (what river is there, anyway?). It was me, retirees in their a/c'd caddy cocoons and reptiles. What a fucking hellhole. I can't imagine that place in the middle of summer.

Which is why it's better to be in the Pacific Northwest in the summer. Deserts are not very hospitable places to live, imho. Hell, y'all even get snow in the winter. So furnace in the summer, and freezer in the winter. No thanks. I'll live here where it's perfect all year round

:1drink
  7. MarkSu

MarkSu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, especially the route recommendation from Epilido. I was checking out the map last night and came to the same conclusion: Seattle-Boise-Salt Lake-Flagstaff-Phoenix. Looks like a great ride. Might take an extra day and hop over to Las Vegas for a night.

MDS
  8. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark...if you need anything while you are in the area, let me know.

Jinx.....the first thing we Arizonans do, to pointed headed intellectuals, is cut their heads off and plant
    them upside down in the desert....when you coming down?
    [​IMG]
  9. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...its just terrible down here. By the way....did you sell your bike... to get that environment friendly scooter...comrade?
  10. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    "Arizona-Hell's Waiting Room."

Goddamn Jinxster! That is funny! Mind if I use it?
    :rofl :rofl

BTW- You are absolutely correct. We ARE all assholes down here, and we are way too slow to figure out how to adjust our clocks every two years....

It just boggles my mind how a moldy, pale, rain-soaked simpering mama's boy figgered all that out by hisself...oh, by the way no offense intended for the sweeping generalization--don't go wetting yerself or nuthin-:arg

cheers!:1drink