Trip plans

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by sdmotor, Nov 24, 2005.

1. sdmotor

sdmotor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I just sat down and mapped out a trip to and through Alaska based largely on Elefant_900_Rad's recent report (Thanks E9R!). My plan is to ride up there, ride the state and ride home. I'm going to do all of the main highways and a couple not so main hwy's but nothing to crazy since I gotta ride home at the end. It will be a little over 10,000 miles and I estimate 18 riding days and an overall time of 22 days or so if the weather is good. 8 days are lost to the "commute", the rest is mine. Here is a short list of places I want to see:

Fairbanks
    Anchorage
    McCarthy
    Circle
    Chicken
    Eagle
    Deadhorse

These are the main places with a few sidetrips to the hot springs (Manley) and anything else that grabs my attention. If any of the places listed aren't worth the time please let me know. When is the best time of year to be there to have decent weather (read not butt ass cold)? Thanks for the help. In case anyone is wondering I'm going to budget $3500 for the trip. I hope to do this as a birthday gift for my 40th but early October would be to late to be there, right? :dunno
  2. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a trip like yours in 2003, starting from San Francisco. After you work out the heart of the trip, Alaska and the Yukon, most of the actual miles will be in your approach and return, so don't waste them on an I-5 slog.

I carefully tracked mile distances from SF to Dawson Creek for every conceivable route. The funny thing was that going through Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper via the Icefields Parkway only added a couple hours travel time compared to the most direct route.
  3. sdmotor

sdmotor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. My plan is to ride 395 most of the way and then start my trip from Dawson City.
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Hi sdmotor
    At one time or the other you will be coming through Wasilla drop by the Abbey for a beer I also run a shop with full bike repair here and have camping space. just let me know when you in this neck of the woods # 907-376-6919
    Cheers,Mike
  5. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    SD,

Here are a couple of suggestions. Take different routes up and back south. Go up the coast and take the ferry from Port Angeles WA to Victoria and ride up Vancouver Island then take the boat to Price Rupert and up the Cassiar Highway and then go home on the Alcan (or the other way round). Somewhere along the line make sure to take a spin across the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxon. As for the best time of year is probably mid June to mid July. Let us know when you are up here, there is usually at least one of the locals looking for an excuse to go for a ride.
  6. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    You might want to try for Petersville.
    Early May can still be cold, mid July to October can be very wet. October is way too late in the year, mid September is about the latest you want to be here in AK. As Northrider said, let us know when you'll be in the area.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I agree, and mid September can get pretty unpredictable. Earlier is better. June / July is where you want to put the bulls eye.
  8. sdmotor

sdmotor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help and tips. I am going to try and move some time off for a june/july trip but it now looks like I may be in the middle of a promotion process at work which takes a couple of months to complete. I may have to put the trip off until '07. I'll know more in the next two weeks. I'd really like to do this next year though if I can.