Trip Report: Eastern Oregon Ride

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by AndrewH, Apr 22, 2003.

1. AndrewH

AndrewH Hare its whats for dinner

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all you folks who responded to my plea last week, "Where to go in eastern Oregon."
    Here's a little trip report. A fantastic time was had by all....well, me, since I was alone.

Loaded the bike, warmed it up, got on, plugged the helmet into the walkman, pushed the 'on' button and what a surprise. The radio station had just started playing AC/DC "Back in the Saddle Again!" Muy Bien!

Got out of Boise Friday night in the middle of rush hour on Easter weekend. Argh.
    I84 to Caldwell
    19 to Homedale
    201 to Adrien
    Left on first road north of Adrien to Owyhee Reservoir Dam. Beautiful descent into watershed.
    After playing a bit it was getting close to dark so I camped at McCormick Campground. Unnecessary as the river downstream of the Dam had great campsites but I was already there and the green grass was pretty and cushy.

Saturday I played at the reservoir and the dam for a bit and headed back up to Adrien. Took the northern road through Owyhee. Road isn't as fun as the southern route but another road = another view :). Great ham and cheese omlet's and conversation at the Mirage? across the street from the volunteer ambulance/fire station in Adrien.
    From Adrien I headed to Succor Creek Road, dropped the tires on the R to 20psi front and 23psi rear and headed down to Succor Creek State Park. Incredible views on the way to the park. Lots of really cool dirt paths which lead up long hillsides to the butte's. Great riding. Hiked up 1 of the butte's as far as I could. Called a buddy on the ham radio to tell my wife where I was going. Miles and miles in each direction on such a clear day. Wow.
    Succor creek road down to right turn to Leslie Gulch. Another incredible spot. Wow. I wanted to go upstream along the reservoir 3-4 miles to the hot spring but the lake is already too high as the road is under water upstream of the boat ramp. Lots of catfish were being caught! Ton's of them. The bass were biting but not nearly as well.
    Oh, saw a heard of wild horses out in the distance and one rattle snake coiled on a rock bathing in the sun. I've seen rattlers before but the horses were very cool.
    Note to self: next time don't forget the binoculars!
    Back to Succor creek road, right turn to hwy 95 north of Jordan Valley. North on 95 back to Homedale. Topped off tires at Les Schwab and rode up through Adrien, Owyhee, OW DAMN!!!!! Got stung by a bee on side of my neck just below my jaw. :cry
    Shut it down in a farmers driveway. I'm dancin and prancin to get my helmet and suit off as the damn critter is still stinging me. Little bastard got me twice just below the helmet and above the aerostich collar. Yep, I'm alergic and discovered I had forgotten my extractor kit. So I pulled out the leatherman and scraped the skin with the knife, then dug out my tool kit and found my spare fuel line. I stuck one end in my mouth and the other end on the sting and started sucking. I must have been quite the spectacle to the passing cars! Swallowed a benadryl and got back on the road.

Went up to Nyssa and hung out at a gas station for a bit in case I had a reaction to the stings. No? Heck with it, back on the bike to Ontario, Weiser.
    I love this countryside. Farmland is beautiful, hills are green (for awhile anyway).
    From Weiser I continued up 95 and went to Mann Creek Reservoir. Camped on Mann Creek about 8 miles upstream of the Reservoir. Great camping. The reservoir reminded me of Hawaii; steep hills around lake, everything is 'very' green. Woke up and did a brutal hike Sunday morning up the hills above my camp site.

I got back on the bike around 10:30-11am and continued north to Midvale, Cambridge, Council, New Meadows, McCall and down to Donnelly to visit my wife and her friend who were spending the weekend at the family cabin. The three of us stopped at the new hot springs...well newly constructed...the hot spring's been there for a very long time. Gold Fork Hot Spring. Great spot $8.00 to get in. Perfect destination for a day ride up to Donnelly.
    Hwy 55 all the way home which was just dandy. End of story. This was a fabulous and much needed trip.
    525 miles total.
    Perfect weather: 30's at night, 60-70 during the day. No mechanicals. Yeehaw.

Got home and discovered I blew the seal on my right fork. :doh Damn BMW bastards cant send a bike out with gaitors. :bash Gotta pull the forks and get some new seals pounded. Gonna see if R100GS gaitors will fit.

All in all, a perfect weekend. I highly recommend the whole ride...go to Leslie's Gulch and Succor Creek before it gets hot as I'd imagine that's a nasty spot in the summer.
  2. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb

I love that area...
  3. Frogger

Frogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent trip report! I've been all through that country on my GS I was around some of those areas on Sunday - I rode to Silver City (didn't quite make it because of snow), then onto Adrian and Owyhee Dam before returning to Boise. The few pictures I took from Sunday's ride are here. Don't know if you've made the trek from Murphy to Jordan Valley via Silver City...if not, wait a coulpe more weeks for the snow to melt and try it. I love that ride.

I have a couple of questions for you. The first is with regards to the Gold Fork Hot Springs - what are the facilities like? Multiple pools? Decent changing areas? I've heard about these "new" hot springs and would like to take the girlfriend up, but not if it's going to be a place where guys are standing behind trees changing into/out of their swimming suits. I would assume for an $8 entry fee, they should be pretty good, but wanted to hear first-hand.

Secondly, you say that you had to stop at a Les Scwab to top off your tires after dirt riding. I carry a mini-compressor that works off the bike's 12V system. I can foward all info in you're interested. Makes it much more convenient when alterring tire pressure.

Again, great report!
  4. AndrewH

Oddometer:
  5. Claim Jumper

Claim Jumper will work for knobbies

Oddometer:
    Did you see any sign of that huge pot plantation up at mann creek reservoir? We were surveying out there five years or so ago when they busted the biggest growing operation ever in Idaho at the reservoir. The DEA guys stayed in the room next to ours at the motel and partied all night breaking bottles and such. They can't have been to observant however or they would have smelled something suspicious coming out of our bathroom!

How did the bmw do on the gravel stuff? miss the KLR at all?
  6. AndrewH

Oddometer:
    R did great on the gravel roads once I dropped the tire pressure...and surprisingly the Metzler 330 and 550 did great but the ground was totally dry. The narrow handlebars took a little getting used to. The gravel road speeds were certainly slower than if I were still on a KLR, R100GS, XRL, or Elefant, but all in all I was very happy with it's performance. No complaints. I'm sure it will get better too once I reinstall my twin clicker. The lower CG feels like a distict advantage on the loose stuff.

Oh, one thing. The 18" wheel is not nearly as nice on the unpaved as the larger wheels but all was fine.

Just like you Chris to tell me about a pot plantation AFTER I get home. Ha. No, didn't see anything but there must have been one hell of a party upstream as there were cars hauling ass up and down past my campsite all night.
  7. Claim Jumper

Oddometer:
    yeah they pulled like 10,000 plants out of that area (according to the newspaper anyway) there has to be a few that "got away" they are weeds you know....

Sounds like fun. I was busy watching my 2 yr old while my wife pukes-ain't pregnancy a bitch!

I did get up 8th street to the snow drifts though. Still can't go along the ridge road all the way. Couple of feet of snow in places up there in the shade.
  8. Claim Jumper

Oddometer:
    workin down in Hagerman this weekend (archaeological excavation at the fish hatchery). In between gettin blisters and mosquito bites I'm gonna do some explorin' on the KLR. Gotta check out the new knobbies don't cha know....

Glad you had a good time.
  9. AndrewH

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to side with your wife! Last week you were "working" in Hell's Canyon, with the KLR. This week your "working" in Hagerman, with the KLR.

WTF? Where you going next week? "Oh I'm sorry wife, I'm going to be "Working" in Elk City. But of course I'm taking the KLR. No honey, I don't love my bike more than you."