Trip to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 2up ADV, Nov 15, 2019.

1. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    Planning a ride to Canada. Leaving from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania then up through Niagara Falls and would like to go across the lake on the Tobermory Ferry. I don't know anything about Canada but I thought about working my way over to the upper part of Michigan. Open for suggestions I'll have nine or ten days for this adventure.
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    That's certainly plenty of time to enjoy your planned trip at nine or ten days.
    Niagara Falls area crossings can be very busy during peak times, likewise the traffic in GTA and Kitchener/Waterloo area.
    Might be a good idea to route a bit left of those towns.
    Once you get past that area the backroads open up nicely for more relaxed riding, all the way up to Tobermory.
    Manitoulin Island is a lovely ride, with very little traffic and Highway 17 is a peach for sightseeing.

Some general thoughts:
    - leave your sidearms at home, you will not be allowed across the border if you bring
    - American Express credit cards are not accepted at many vendors
    - Check the ferry schedule so you know what to expect
    - Haven't used the ferry in many years, so not sure if you should book your spot ahead - hopefully someone else chimes in about that
    - Enjoy your trip, take your time, let us know when you're going and how it went!
    OnOff, Maggot12 and Steve G. like this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second Vikingtazz's suggestion to check the Tobermory ferry schedule. I planned to take is on a trip back in May. Got there at 1:35. Last ferry for the day left at 1:30. Instead of visiting Manitoulin Island, Saute St. Marie (stay on U.S. side), then riding down Michigan's Tunnel of Trees https://mynorth.com/2017/05/m119-tunnel-of-trees/ , I had to backtrack as I needed to catch the Muskegon ferry to Milwalkee the next day. It's beautiful up there. Have a great trip!
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    Wow, A lot of great tips I didn't think of. We will probably be doing the trip the end of August so we have a lot of time to plan. It does help the winter months go by a little more quickly though. Thank you for the ideas so far keep them coming.
  6. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading to the Tub....Tobermory, you will be traveling through Bruce County, here is a little tourist guide that will help you some.
    https://explorethebruce.com

Of course if you're passing near Kincardine you'll want to check out our Saturday night parades.....every Saturday July and August

[​IMG]

https://www.kspb.ca

I highly recommend Rachaels Bakery in Lion's Head....best place for a Ruebens sandwich and a beer, IMHO. Not fancy and not expensive.
    https://visitlionshead.ca/profile/rachels-bakery-and-fifties-diner/1527/

If you're planning of doing some off bike hiking, the Grotto is worth checking out, very easy walking paths to get to it, but very rocky if you want to climb down to it
    https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/bruce/activ/experiences/grotto

Something unique are all historic lighthouses in the Bruce
    http://www.brucecoastlighthouses.com/lighthouses/

This is my backyard, if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask

brian
    Millwright98 likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Made that trek clockwise in 2015 and took the ferry 3 times that year, never booking it.
    I kept along the coast on the east side of Michigan from Sarnia to SSM. It was a great ride and we camped along the way.
    The ride into Manitoulin is very nice.

Your ride from Niagara to the ferry will be straight and flat.
  8. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    Reuben's are my favorite sandwich and we love the local places. When I actually get into the routing I may have a few more questions.
  9. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    Would you go the trans-canadian highway Route 17 to Michigan or explore Canada and come back another route?
  10. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Your current routing takes you through the flatlands of Ontario. Which if you want to do the Tobermory ferry, is what you're stuck with.

If you look east of Toronto about an hour, and stay north of the border ten miles, that whole area on the map north and east until Brockville is great riding. Paved or gravel. Up to and over the border into Quebec. The exception is Algonquin Park, as it's restricted riding to the main highway through it, really.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    If wanting to get away from the straight/flat ride of SW Ont, maybe ride south east of Lake Ontario and cross into Canada around the Kingston area.
  12. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on what you're riding, research the 'back way' from, say, Guelph to Creemore and beyond. It ain't ALL flat and straight.

As for beyond Manitoulin, check out Elliot Lake and beyond, including possibly Thessalon to Chapleau, the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve. The ride from Wawa back down to the Sault on the Trans-Canada is pretty nice too .
    SSBB and BackRoader like this.
  13. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    You might as well Circle the Big Lake. Make a trip out it!
  14. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    So many great suggestions , thinking about riding around Lake Michigan. I don't like being out on the big roads definitely stay to secondary roads and some dirt.
  15. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there's one thing the trans Canada isn't, it's a big road. Most of it from Sudbury to Kenora is pretty much 2 lane.
  16. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    I thought it was pretty big road just don't see another way. Might go up the coast of Michigan first then across Canada then into Tobermory area, my wife really likes the idea of that Scottish parade on Saturday nights.
    Candubrain and gpfan like this.
  17. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw, come on. Be brave. Pack your passport. Take a risk - we hardly ever bite :rofl
    davesride, MTBRALPH and sturgeon like this.
  18. terrysig

terrysig Plays with atoms in spare time...

Oddometer:
    Following!
  19. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    The Trans Canada cuts through amazing country side... rock cuts, lake and river views. Only about one tenth of the traffic you see in Michigan. And wait until you see the price of fuel? You’ll be glad you’re on a bike!
  20. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what Lee Valley Road is like South of the trans-canada highway. Then maybe River Road out of Massey. That's how I would route it being from Pennsylvania or is it just best to stay on 17