Trip To Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Americas' started by goathead666, Jan 30, 2008.

1. goathead666

goathead666 Blazing

Oddometer:
    My friend and I are planning to take a trip to Glacier NP from San Diego this summer and would like to know what the best time to make a trip would be. Obviously there will be "schools out" traffic but this is the only real time we can get off work as well. Roughly 11 days to do the trip in as well if that helps.

Riding across the deserts on the way up will suck but not much we can do about that.

Rick
  2. okbob51

okbob51 okbob

Oddometer:
    The big issue at Glacier is when Going to the Sun Road opens. During some years it opens in early June and other in years snow, avalanches, construction, etc. postpone the opening until late June and even as late as July. They have a website that gives fairly up to date information but it still is difficult (if not impossible) to plan far in advance...especially for a June trip. July and August are usually not a problem as Logan Pass is usually open. It is a great ride but, also plan to ride Beartooth Pass on the northeast corner of Yellowstone. Glacier offers some excellent hiking. Dress warm....it is always cold at night.
  3. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Run up through California; then cut over northern Nevada, southern Oregon, and Idaho then into Montana. Some great routes, not really much longer and mucho cooler than crossing lower Nevada, Arizona, Utah, etc.
  4. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I had more fun riding eastern Idaho and central Montana than I did Glacier.

Going to the Sun Road will be a mess of traffic in July and August. Beautiful though.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were in Glacier last year, Labor Day weekend, but we came in from Canada. We stayed in the eastern part of the park, at the Motor Lodge, but there was plenty of room in the campground there, even on Labor Day weekend. The weather was nice during the day, rain at night, and windy the next day as we rode over the Going to the Sun Hiway. Very little traffic on the Going to the Sun road.

For our route back, we went south through Missoula, then Lolo Hot Springs, Hiway 12, then 13/95, then we crossed into Oregon and did some riding around eastern Oregon, which has lots of scenic and low-traffic roads.
  6. Hayden#69

Hayden#69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved Glacier and did it in July. I really enjoyed the dirt road that goes up the west side of the park out of Apgar Or was I in West Glacier:huh Hummm either way, youll find it. Remote and if you hit it early in the morning there is a good chance to see Bear, wolves etc. I saw a bear within 30 mins. My first in the wild. Looked just like the one on my sisters bed when we were little. I couldnt believe how perfect the color was. I about peed my pants when I saw it:eek1 She was frigging HUGH.

Hayden
  7. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I know a guy who has been there three times and still has not ridden through. Rained out twice and smoked out by forest fires once.
    We went the last week in August. It started raining as we pulled into Kalispell. The next day waited at the entrance half a day but to much rain and no visibility so we waited until the next day. Perfect, sunny warm day.
    Have some flexibility/extra time if you can.
  8. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my case 4 trips to the GNP and hwy...2 were fogged out, and one was too much ice on roads so gates were closed...finally took one of the neat little buses on my 4th trip, and throughly enjoyed the bus. For the record...narrow roads, and if you are afraid of heights and have bad weather, I'd suggest riding the neat little red bus. :evil