1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip to India - advice please

Discussion in 'Asia' started by YetiMoto, Aug 21, 2006.

1. YetiMoto

YetiMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently working on a group trip to India and thought I would post here to see if anyone had any input. I have done some searches and PMed a few people, but thought I would see if any suggestions were out there in the general forum.

Here's the deal - I have 2 weeks this coming fall (late Nov) to visit one country in the world on a bike. I do it every year with a group of friends (done Europe too many times to count, Thailand, Peru, Mexico, etc.) and this year we have been eyeing India. The country is so big, however, that we are having trouble finding out exactly what makes sense to do in the time we have...

We will probably fly into Delhi. My biggest questions:
    1. what are the best loops/routes? people talk about the northern route, but I am not sure it is possible in Nov. Is there other good riding out of Delhi? What would you do in 2 weeks (if you are someone who lives there)
    2. Anything I need to be aware of other than the funky shifting kick-start Enfields and their maintenance issues. I hear horror stories and raves about the riding - parts of both sound great... any caveats?
    3. I am thinking about bringing my wife as a passenger. She has been on a couple of the trips we take, but I prefer to have her along with less dirt... are the roads bad enough that I should plan on being on my own?
    4. Any other tips (rental recs? places to go? etc.)

Thanks (in advance) for all the input (and thanks to those who have already PMed me). :ear

YM
  2. nelsonmcewan

nelsonmcewan n00b

Oddometer:
    I spent 3 weeks on an Enfield Bullet in Rajasthan Oct 2005. My lovely wife rode pillion. An "organised" tour with 20+ friends, 15 bikes. I have a trip report I'm happy to fwd. A few sample pics of raods too. Send your email address to me at nelsonmcewan@bigpond.com .......Nelson
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
  4. jollyrodger2005

jollyrodger2005 DIRTY OLD MAN

Oddometer:
    Hey Yeti..while your over there mate could you drop by a few telemarketing places for me...I have a few things i want to give to them >>:puke2 :topes :ken :annie :pot :fight :gun2 :2guns
  5. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    IMODIUM :rofl :rofl

You WILL need it!!
  6. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    :oscar
  7. YetiMoto

YetiMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice... been there, done that. Now come prepared:lol3 Thanks for the tip though...

8. mujiburrahman

mujiburrahman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    India sound like a great place to ride
  9. Aargee

Aargee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there Yeti, I'm from South of India; Welcome to our country :)

I promise to help as much as I can :)

I've not been to Delhi, however, I'm familiar with most part of the country except North East & I can get you any information that you need.

There're lots of places that you can get from Delhi, but it depends on where you prefer to ride. Usually people from Delhi ride up north towards hills. And not to mention, pls forget Leh during Nov, if you've any plans on it as it is unpredictable as when the passes will be closed. But trust me, its a bikers road, dream & most of us desire to ride there every year & still most us unable to & some of them unable to complete & only a few succeed. But again, 2 weeks is little crunchy on time to make to Leh.

Other popular biking route is to ride Spiti Valley in the snow.

Are you planning to rent? If so, then you have Pulsar's from Bajaj Auto Ltd (BAL) or Cruiser style Avenger again from BAL. But don't you worry, unless you have the latest Classic 500, most road side mechanics know how to fix RE. If you're riding on mountains then the only issue it can occur is spark plugs going black sooner & you need to lean out; and the tappets ofcourse. But rent a model after 2005 & you'll have less issues.

Can you specify which part & the any specific incident pls?

Road side pollution is much common in India, not sure if you mean that. Or do you intent to ride at Leh? So it depends on the route.

If you keep yourself towards west side...Delhi-Rajasthan-Gujarat-Maharasthra, then, you're more than good on safe, fast & good national highways. Except the East side (Assam, Nagaland, Mizoram, Sikkim, where we're strangers in our own land), you're more than safe in our country.

For 2 weeks, you could do small circuits around Delhi for 2-3 days & then head towards Rajasthan (seasonal time). Pls see my trip log http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727815 that I did recently to give you an idea on what you could expect at Rajasthan. Infact, I missed out so many other places too.

If you're looking specifically from Delhi, then, here's a real deal - http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/184343-post.html

Let me know if you need any more inputs & I'll be glad to help.

Edit - Just came across this - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143104, you can ride from Delhi to Himacal (covering the hill stations, Kullu & Manali for hill stations.

Or ride to Uttakhand for Jim Corbett National Park; I'm sure Agra will be on your list.

Pls talk to your group & let me know if you're interested in Rajasthan visit, I'll make some custom itinerary for you to ride from Delh-Agra-Jaipur-Sikar-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Jaipur & back to Delhi or if you'd like to include Gujarat & Maharashtra, I can suggest few places too. Let me know what you need. Tks.
  10. JezNZ

JezNZ n00b

Oddometer:
    G'day Yeti,

I don't know if you're still looking for advice but I thought I would put my two bobs worth in, just in case.

A friend and I did a Punjab-Himachal Pradesh-Haryana-Delhi-Rajasthan-Gujarat-Maharashtra-Goa ride in early 2010 over 7 weeks on Enfields. His was an Enfield Bullet 350 Standard (1996) and mine was a rented Enfield Bullet Electra (2005). It was the best bit of driving I've ever done.

1) It would probably be too cold to go further north than Dharamsala (one of my favourite places in India) or Dalhousie, but Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand were among my most favourite places because I love mountain riding, even if the roads are a bit rough. These teo provinces will be really cold too, for the most part.

I haven't been to Sikar, Bikaner or Jaisalmer, but I heard great things about those places and no doubt the Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Sikar-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Jaipur & back to Delhi is a great ride, and probably the best bet for a 2 week winter drive in India.

2) We did have silly little problems with the bikes. My clutch cable was always fraying off inside the case. The speedo cable broke soon after it rolled off the lot. My mate's bike had battery problems and often had trouble starting. Despite the little problems, the bikes were easily fixed by the roadside mechanis, which were everywhere. They went the distance and gave us an extraordinary ride. If I were to go to India and see the rest of that amazing country (and I am planning to) I would definitely go with the Enfield. There's a reason why they're so popular in India. It's a real bike, when it's working:D.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3) The roads in Rajasthan are fairly good, but there were an abundance of potholes on most roads that weren't National Highways. We tended to keep our speed below 60 kph just in case. The roads should be fine for a pillion passenger.

I rented from a local dealer in Punjab, not something I would recommend doing; my carburettor nearly exploded 200 kms after I rolled off the lot. He had replaced the carby with an ancient piece of crap. Caveat Emptor. We met a Kiwi guy, Chris, in Delhi who rents and exports Enfields. His website is http://www.bulletwallas.com/Pages/. He has been doing it for years and knows what he's doing.

Some places to go, based on some awesome experiences:

The Golden Temple at Amritsar
    McLeod Ganj near Dharamsala
    Rishikesh
    Delhi
    Taj Mahal at Agra
    Jaipur
    Jodhpur

There are bucketloads more great places to see in India. The problem is choosing between them:thumb
  11. Timthai

Timthai Never still

Oddometer:
    I've not ridden India, but I've spent a lot of time there... there's some great advice on the previous replies.

Out of delhi, The Delhi - Jaipur - Agra triangle is a must... that will take you a maybe 4-5 days if you stop to see the sites. Then you need to decide whether to loop south further into Rajasthan from Jaipur... some great places, but flatter countryside... or head north from Delhi.. Dharamshala is a great place, or the other hill station to visit would be the head to Dehradun and up to Musouri. You could also consider heading to Himachal Pradesh and up to Shimla. You may be able to link a couple of those in a loop, but you need to allow yourself time and not cut it too fine.

The hill stations will be cool in in late November. Brisk, but tollerable.

Inia is an amazing place... I plan to ride it in the next year or so.

Let us know what you decided and post some picks when you get back!

Cheers.