Trip to the states summer/fall 2009

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Moose_DK, May 8, 2009.

1. Moose_DK

Moose_DK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody

First of... I'd like to present ourself.

My name is Esben and I'm 28.
    My girlfriend is 24 and her name is Camilla.
    We live in denmark, you know the small country that Lars Ulrich from metallica and NFL kicker Morten Andersen come from.
    Now.... I cant kick a ball and I dont have any musical abilities, but I am adventures.
    [​IMG]
    My Girlfriend on her lowrider DRZ400.

[​IMG]
    Me and my vintage/SM XL350

My girlfriend and I got the crazy idear that we will take about 6 months leave from our studies and go travel. :clap

We dont really have a plan yet except that we will leave denmark some time late July 2009 and retur in January 2010.

Im hoping that some of you that live in the states feel like give a helping hand with the planning and maybe would like a visit a some point. :freaky

We dont have a route planned out yet and dont have a place to start out yet.
    We will buy 2 bikes and fit them for travel, then we plan to travel in the northern states and maybe also see some of canada and reach the westcoast at some point. Then travel south to stay warm.

Any advise is welcome!!! but I do also have some specific questions:

1:
    we are at the moment looking for two streetlegal Suzuki DRZ400S or Kawasaki KLX400 since my girlfriend doesn't have that long legs and she already have a DRZ400 with a lowering kit that we can use take of and use for a bike in the US.
    But how do we find two bikes, is there som good online sales sites for used bikes and maybe someone know some dealer that might can help.
    Most importend we need a place to start! so if someone have the room, time and feel like having us visiting for a week or so in late july while we get the bikez ready, please write us

2:
    We dont have a place to start out yet, that will depend on where we can find two bikes and maybe a place where we can make them ready for travel (service, bigger gastank and bags)
    So if you can help with that please contact me.!!!

3:
    how about the weather, I gues it mostly warm the first few month, but when should we plan on riding south?

Now thats all for know folks. BUT... I will be online just about every day until we leave so please write. send me an PM or write here.

All advise and help is much appreciated. :ear

Best regards Camilla and Esben
  2. dusty308

dusty308 wanderer

Oddometer:
    hi guys,
    sounds like a great trip you have planned and there is so much to see here especially out in the western states. not sure about where to get the bikes, there are dealerships everywhere so i don't think that should be to much of a problem. as far as the weather goes here in Connecticut it can start snowing as early as November but usually in December and we have cold icy weather through until February or March. When my friend and I went cross country in June of 2006 we had everything from 106F in Nevada to 21F and snow in British Columbia Canada, so it really depends on where you are. I'd be glad to help you with any questions that you have and when you get here pizza and beers are on me (unless I'm on the road). :thumb can't wait for your ride report. good luck
    cheers :beer
    josh
  3. Capotourer

Capotourer CapoNoMore

Oddometer:
    Ok maybe I can chime here. Congrats on having the time to actually be able to make such a long journey. I hope you realize that the trip you are about to do is a lot of miles. If I can give you any piece of advise at all i would probably not try to make an attempt of this caliper on 400 cc bikes. You will definetly need something a little more street oriented. I would probably at least step up to a 650 cc bike. Perhaps a BMW GS 650 or a KLR 650. Better yet one of the best 650 out there for both street and light off road duty is a Suzuki 650 V-strom . The difference in weight and hp will give you more comfort on the long roads you will ride and still give you the ability to go off road in any case. If you came to Florida let us know. There is lots of ADV riders on either side of the coast then can help with rides or accomodations.
    As far as websites to go on to try a) www.cycletrader.com or www.craigslist.com just be careful with craigslist, never send any money to anyone and only to business in person. The most secure and reliable other piece of info is to stick with www.advrider.com and see what is for sale on the flea market. You will be amazed what comes up for sale from time to time. Good luck and keep us informed of your journey.
  4. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Esben and Camilla.

I don't know Lars or Morten, but we now know you.

I sent you a PM with a search engine for used bikes.

I was looking for bikes this winter and a lot of DRZ at the $2000-2500 level. They are up a bit now.

If you want new, consider the new Yamaha. If used, the DR350 cruises nicely. It has e-start and that 6th gear. I wound up with a DR and am quite impressed.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    assuming you're flying in to the east coast, so you're looking for bikes there. i wouldn't be afraid of a pair of late model drz400 for your trip. pretty inexpensive used, you already know the bike, have the lowering link, and would only need to carry one set of spares.

get both bikes delivered to the same location and have everything else shipped there. if everything is ready to go, you would only need a day or two to prep the bikes and be ready to travel.

since you would be starting in the east, consider a tour of new england and the canadian maritime provinces before heading west.

you are also likely to find help in the east coast regional section on this forum.

traveling with your blond girlfriend will make all the arrangements a little easier. if you run into any difficulties, you know you can always yell for help on this forum. the inmates here are ever helpful to fellow adventure travelers.
  6. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trip of a lifetime!! If you want to visit the Grand Canyon, Arizona, Las Vegas area let me know. It's just my wife and I in a big four bedroom house here in Tucson, AZ, so you could stay a night or two here if you want. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

PS: The Rocky Mountain area of the US is just awesome, as is the Oregon and California coast.
  7. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Well bought a map today at got it up on the wall. Now I startet looking through some threads here on ADV trying to out what to see. :eek1

My girlfriend startet looking into what is needed to get our visas for the trip.. Hopefully we wont get to many problems with that :-)

Attached Files:

8. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Over on the MCUSA forums we get questions like this a lot, and there is usually one problem to which I've never yet heard a satisfactory solution:

How does a non-resident alien register and title a motorcycle purchased in the US? I know in my state (CO) if you try to register a vehicle the first thing they want to know is your address and/or see your driver's license to show proof of residency. If you can't demonstrate that you are a resident of this county, I don't think you can register a vehicle here.

Considering that some states have very strict laws regarding things like emissions, safety inspections, etc, and other states have very lax laws, people used to register their vehicles in other states using either bogus addresses, PO Boxes, etc. But with all the cracking down on that kind of thing that has happened in the last few years, I think it would be a very difficult thing to do.
  9. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are some of the places that you have on your must see list
  10. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    well its not really that long yet

But generally we are most interrestet in the nature and we want to camp as much as possible.
    The rocky mountains, yellowstone, and other national parks is at this point where we want to go.
    But im getting more and more stickers on my large wall map.

But i do thing think the trip will be a "that road looks nice, lets try that" kinda trip.

We are still not sure where we will start, since it depends on where we can find the two bikes.
  11. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    I'm in Asheville, NC. Near Charlotte, NC. Just mentioning it as there are direct flights from Germany (Munich) to Charlotte at reasonable prices.
    Probably a little further south than where you would like to start your trip bet there is a pretty big ADV/riding community around here and you should be able to find plenty of help, and bikes. If I can be of any help (including place to work on the bike, place to stay for a few days) just shoot me a PM...
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with whoever it was that suggested bikes of the 650cc size or bigger. You're going to be covering a lot of miles on your trip and a 400 would suck for long mileage days. I'd personally look at a couple of Wee Stroms.

I've ridden all over California and Oregon so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions regarding either of these states.

Last, there are a lot of great people on this site. I'd recommend figuring out where you're going to start your trip and get in touch with people from that area to help you find suitable bikes. You can find bikes anywhere with good local knowledge.

Have fun and take tons of pictures!!
  14. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.. Thanks for your advise..
    The only place im 100% sure where I wanna go is Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
    I went to school there i 1999 for a few months.

now about the bikes.. the reason for choosing DRZ400s is that my girlsfriend already have this model... The Supermotard modet, but close..
    She has realle realle short legs and we already have a lowering kit for the bike.
    We know how the bike works and shes used to drive it..

To be honest i would like a bigger bike, but I also would like that we have the same model.

as for a place to start, I think your right that we need to deside.
    "come on esben... DESIDE!!!!!" :huh
  15. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    The DRZ SM (Supermotard) is available in the US too, there are three of them for sale right now within 20 miles of here...
  16. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    The reason for not choosing the SM model that we intend to drive offroad also.. and after trying the SM model offroad we desided that would not be a great idear...
  17. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    No as you all know there is no excact plan yet.
    but im thinking that the trip could look something like this.

[​IMG]

but as said, it depends on where we find bikes and an adress to start from.
  18. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    A perfect route, except maybe that little loop in N Dakota. I think I would bypass that, but hey, it is your ride. :lol3
  19. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thnk that is when they relized they forgot their wallet back at the gas station
  20. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    F... I just broke a small bone i my foot last night.... I took a wrong step the stairs and fell..
    So now its 6 weeks with my lower leg in a plaster cast!!

but hey... now I have time to plan the trip even though I would rather ride my bike :cry

but the trip is still on!! I should have a week or two after getting the cast of before we will leave for the us.. So I hope there isnt gonna be any complications