Trip to the states summer/fall 2009

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Moose_DK, May 8, 2009.

1. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it was at your buddies barbeque party, right?

sorry to hear that, heal fast
  2. vermin

vermin unrepentant thinner

Oddometer:
    to bad you don't know someone in san diego that would give you a bike to ride free of charge as long as you left it in Detroit (or anywhere else). Oh yeh you do! Me. Ride it as long as you like. Just read the reports in my signature and see if you are interested. With that bone healing it is probably best that you ride a road bike anyway.
  3. Moose_DK

Moose_DK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to figure out if I could register a motorcycle somewhere in the states. I have written to a few DMV offices, North Carolina, Montana, Minnesota and a few more.
    But the only one I got an answer the sounded positive was in Minnesota.

SO I have send a few email back and forward to the DMV in Minnesota...

This is a copy/paste of the "conversation":

Q:

Name: Esben Boll
    Plate Number:
    VIN #:
    Date of Birth: MM/DD/YYYY
    Driver License #:
    Comment/Question: Hi
    I would to know if you can answer a few questions about registering a motorcycle in Minnesota.

I come from Denmark in Europe and will travel to Minnesota, more accurate Grand Rapids in Itascha county. I would like to buy a motorcycle for transportation.

I would like to know what is needed for me to register the motorcycle.

I will live at a friends house and will also be using this address for my visa.

I have an international drivers license (and the danish drivers license) and a 6 month visa for staying in the US I also I have my passport as identification.

Hope to hear from you soon

best regards Esben

A:
    Thank you for contacting Driver and Vehicle Services.

We'll need more information to assist you. Do you already have a motorcycle that you're purchasing in a different country and transporting to Minnesota...or are you going to purchase it once you're here? Do you know if you'll buy a new or used motorcycle and if you'll be buying it from a private party or a dealership?

Please reply with all previous emails included.

Sincerely,
    Jody/Operator #65

Q:
    Thank you for writing back!

I will buy a motorcycle locally in Minnesota.
    Im hoping to find a used motorcycle somewhere i the area around Grand Rapids, a new one is too expensive :-). But I do not know if it will be from a private party or a dealership, since there isnt to many of the model im looking for, for sale.

Does it matter if I buy from a private party or a dealership?? if there is a difference I can try to find a motorcycle where it will be best.

Please write if you need any more info.

best regards Esben

A:

There's not a huge difference if you buy it from a dealer versus a private
    party. If you buy it from a MN dealer, the dealer should apply for you. If
    you buy it from a private party, you'll need to apply within 10 business
    days. If the vehicle is titled in MN, the transfer of ownership should
    occur on the MN title. If there's a lien holder listed on it, we'll also
    need a lien release in addition to the fees:

Registration tax: $10.00 (This is only charged if the vehicle needs new
    tabs).
    License plate fee: $4.50 (This is only charged if the vehicle needs new
    license plates).

Public Safety Vehicle fee: $3.50
    Title/transfer fee: $8.00 + $7.25 for each MN reassignment
    Lien fee: $2.00 (if applicable)
    Excise tax/Sales tax: (6 ½%)
    State/Deputy Filing fee: $8.50

You may submit the request to any motor vehicle office. Office locations
    may be found on our web site: www.mndriveinfo.org click on Office Locations
    and then choose which type of office you're looking for from the drop down
    menu.

Or, mail it with a check or money order made payable to Driver and Vehicle
    Services to:

Driver and Vehicle Services
    445 Minnesota St Suite 187
    St Paul, MN 55101

Also, you'll need to make sure the vehicle is insured before you drive it.

Sincerely,
    Jody/Operator #65

Q:

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!!!!!!. I have been trying to figure
    this out for days.

I was told that, I could not do this when I was only living in Minnesota for
    a while and I had to be a Minnasota citizen to register a motorcycle. Also I
    was told that Iwould need a Minnesota driverslicence

So just to be 100% sure... I CAN, as a foreign citizen register a motorcycle
    i Minnesota, If have:

The title from the used motorcycle i buy.
    Insurence (of course)
    My temporary adress in Minnesota
    My international drivers license/and danish drivers licence
    My passport for identification.

Im sorry about all the questions, I just want to be 100% sure about the
    paperwork.
    Its no fun buying a motorcycle, if cant ride it too :-)

I found the adress on the Office in Grand Rapids where I will stay, Thank
    you for the link..

Again thank you for helping, its not easy to figure this out when Im living
    so far away.

Best regards Esben

A:

You can own and register a vehicle in MN without a MN license.
    Michelle#23

So from this its seems like I will have no problem to registers and insure the motorcycle I will buy.. at least from what I understand........
  4. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Esben,

Looks like MN then...
    My offers still stand. Some really good riding around here, on and off road.
    Please contact me if you're going to be around or need any help...
  5. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    I startet looking into what we could visit at our trip around the US, southern Canada, and northern Mexico if we get that far south.
    So if your know of a must see site please write here.. :dealor send a PM for that matter. :clap

It could be something like typical turist attraction like Niagra Falls, a perfect view to a mountain, the best camping site, a great place to eat or the best bar to get a beer on a hot day. :freaky

It will all be set as a waypoint on my GPS and if we get near it will show up.. (Hurra for modern technology)

So if any idears... write or shout... very loud and I will listen... :ear
  6. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I startet looking for bikes. As mentioned before we are looking for two Suzuki DRZ400s.

I have am looking on craigslist.. Not too many for sale in MN, but hey there lots of time still..
    Been writing to this guy

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1157334900.html

so that could be one of them.. its a little more difficult when you cant just go and look at it in person..

But if anyone know of a good DRZ400s for sale somewhere i MN, please do tell me.
  7. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    One piece of advice that I can give is to not plan to ride your motorcycles back to Minnesota in January. I'd say that December 1 is the latest you could plan to ride back to Minnesota, after that all the roads are covered in snow and ice. Anytime after November 1 you'd want an electric vest.

The next bit of advice is that if you plan to fly into Minneapolis / St. Paul (MSP) airport that you should plan to buy your motorcycles in the MSP area, not in the Grand Rapids area. MSP is a much bigger metropolitan area (3.5 million people) than Grand Rapids (8000 people) and has over a dozen motorcycle dealerships. MSP does not have a good public transportation system. It will be difficult and expensive to use taxi's to look for a used motorcycle from private parties. Maybe you can utilize some of the people on this list to help, but there will be considerable luck involved to buy 2 bikes within a couple of days.
  8. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Your right... if we had drive them back to MN in vinter, I think we would need to shoot a few bears and make warm jackets underway :huh

The reason I mention Grand Rapids is that I have an old friend there, where I hope we can stay while prepping the bikes.

I hope that we can find two used bikes, but I know it will take a lot of luck to do that.... but im exaggerated positive :rofl:clap
    But if nothing show up, we do have the money to buy new ones, would just rather use our "gold" underway.
    you have to remember that bike prices is actualle about 1/3 of what they cost here in denmark.
    Now im not sure about this, but as far as I can tell it must be possible to find a dealer or two who have that model in stock???
  9. Streeter

Oddometer:
    Here are three local Suzuki dealers:

Hitching Post Minneapolis
    7651 Highway 65 NE
    Fridley, MN 55432
    763-502-9400
    http://www.hponline.com/
    Summer: M-F 10-7/Sat 10-4 Winter: M-F 10-7/Sat 10-4

Kline Motorsports
    2610 N Highway 61
    Maplewood, MN 55109-1021
    651-482-1115
    http://www.kline-motorsports.com/
    Mon-Thur 8:30-9, Fri-Sat 8:30-6, Sun Closed

Heinen's
    33 Central Ave
    Osseo, MN 55369-1240
    763-425-2178
    http://www.heinenmotorsports.com/
    Mon-Thurs 9:00-7:00, Fri 9:00-6:00, Sat 10:00-3:00, Closed Sunday
  10. Streeter

Oddometer:
  11. Streeter

Oddometer:
  12. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help..
    I'll try and concact them to hear what they have to offer.
    luckelly there is still about 6 week until we leave.
  13. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    I threw some ideas at you about you buying a couple of my bikes for your trip but thought PM was better for now. I'm going to a Rally tomorrow so I will have very limited access to the internet. Take Care
  14. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    So we just bought our planetickets. We will arrive in Minneapolis Airport International Airport th 9th of july at about 6PM.

So we are a step to our journey... that will proberly go something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Translation: Artour.....Your nose is cold..!

This is on of many comics that is a part of our local motorcycel magazine.
    Artour is a guy that travels the world, most of the time with his wife.
    In this case... im not so sure that its Artor's nose that feels cold... :rofl

Now we just need our visas.:deal. then we are good to go!!:clap Just cant wait!
  15. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    Just played a little with photoshop...
    made a new route plan.. this is something like I imagene our route could be.. but much can happen and we will travel where we can meet nice people and experience your local trails, nature attractions and beer :freaky

[​IMG]
  16. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Central Illinois and it does not look as though your planning to come through our state. But I see your going through Colorado and New Mexico. I NM, maybe you can go through Alamogordo. There is the White Sands Missle base there where you can check out and climb the hills of pure white sand (actually gypsum). Then you can ride up through Cloudcroft and on to Ruidoso. Pretty scenery and a nice twisty road as you leave the desert in Alamogordo and travel up 16 miles to about 11,000 feet or more.

Then Colorado, check out Mount Evans, near Idaho Springs on Route 70 just west of Denver. It is the highest paved road in North America, 14,200 feet. Also check out Leadville, highest incorporated town in Colorado, second in US.

If you change your trip and go through Illinois and Missouri, check out the St. Louis Arch. It is pretty cool looking to go up into.

Sounds like your on your way to a great trip.
  17. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    There is an ADV get together in north Idaho July 16-19, if your schedule allows.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404998

From I-90 at St Regis, Montana. south into the St Joe forest. gravel for 15 miles then paved for another 75 miles, thru Avery to Big Eddy restaurant and campground. There are only a couple of bldgs on this road, so not hard to find.

This would make a good jump off place for Glacier Park and the NW. ADV riders from all over the NW.
  18. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well me and the Misses are nice, but kind of a hit or miss on our teenage daughters moods, but we do have beer and a Barbeque and no steps to fall down, I might take in the ADV rider in ID on July 16,18.
  19. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Things you might like to see in the northwest US along your route include highway 20 through north cascades national park, which goes past the Early Winter Spires.
    [​IMG]
    McKenzie Pass highway in oregon, and the dee wright observatory at the summit.
    [​IMG]

Of course crater lake.

Columbia river gorge, including the bridge of the gods.
    [​IMG]
    Much else to see in the gorge if you take a walk, including Triple Falls
    [​IMG]

Have fun!
  20. Moose_DK

Oddometer:
    I dont think we will get the bikes on the road to get to the Triple T ride in Idaho... But please If you see any other ADV rider get togethers please do tell us.. But I wrote it down just in case we get on the road that fast.. Lets se what happens..

We really would like to meet all of you fellow ADVriders..!
    davidji: I just wrote down the places you wrote about.. looks like places I would love to see..

and nilsso1 dont worry... Im sure I can find something to fall down from at your place.... :-) :freaky