Triple B And nOObs Too - 6/25/20 Thru 6/28/20

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Ladybug, Oct 23, 2019.

?

Fajita Dinner Sat. Night.

Poll closed Jun 24, 2020.
  1. Yes, please.

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No, thank you.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    Got this thing up and in rideable condition today!

Attached Files:

2. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Possible BBB ride for Little Red, it's even the right color;
    [​IMG]

If we buy this, we would have this for Little Red, the SL100 for Teeny and I would have my SL350 for the BBB. His asking price is over the limit, but he said he's negotiable. And it runs. And it's plated with a title.

:D
    Jungle Man, Baroquenride and Ladybug like this.
  3. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    We picked up the '74 DT125 for $600 and we're pretty happy with that. It will run but the carb is flooding over badly. Took out the battery for charging (it's relatively new) and started other repairs. Will pull and strip carb tomorrow, then start ordering bits and pieces. Here's how it looks now;
    [​IMG]

All repairs on this and our other projects can be found on this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/last-chance-garage.1344788/page-19#post-39884957

4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm glad you got it. :clap
    LC Garage likes this.
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Hoping little red will ride it. She had made good progress until hurting her knee. She'll need encouragement. Hint hint.
    Ladybug likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    There is a pit chick that I promised last year that I would help her learn or relearn to ride at a girlie pace. It would be good for us to do a weekend where I can get out with the girls and help them to re-establish their skills. Camping and riding practice when things open up again. I need the practice too so we'll make it happen. :thumb
  7. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Gentleman of Liesure

Oddometer:
    New Kawasaki Bushwacker, got it with the original 1971 Title. Runs....and came with basically new tires. I will be rebuilding the forks, the seals leak.

My SL100 project is going to be a lot more work than I envisioned.
    92DB94CC-DE15-4401-B22D-510F95CE0A10.jpg
  8. Jungle Man

Oddometer:
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    If only I had more money and mechanical skills. :tb Those vintage Hondas bring up a lot of very good memories.
    LC Garage likes this.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Update on this event:
    As far as today this is still happening.
    Today I spoke with Mindy at the Fairgrounds and right now they can only have full hook up campers there but she is hopeful by the end of May that will change.
    If they are able to open their restrooms and allowed to have a group of up to 50 people at the end of May we are good to go.
    Mindy and I will touch base the first few days of June to determine where we are. If it looks like a cancelation is in order, it will be done then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can do this. Too many things have already been canceled and we need to get together for some fun.

Right now we have 23 INs and 4 on the fence so we are well under 50 so if you have a friend you want to invite, do it. :D
  11. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good for us, we took the #2 Ascot for a 125 mile shakedown run today to Clallam Bay, Forks and Lake Crescent, it did great, just a few minor issues to sort out so we are planning to be there with the old truck and older camper and a pair of VT500 Ascots in the trailer behind. That will be our first significant outing in a long time. We hope the bathrooms are open but we can do the self-contained thing if we must.
    LC Garage and Ladybug like this.
  12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    If they aren't able to open the bathroom we'll have to cancel. I hope that doesn't happen.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
  14. Jungle Man

Oddometer:
    LC Garage and Ladybug like this.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Little Red just made our RV reservation at the Fairgrounds, we will get here on Thursday and can help set up. :D
    Jungle Man and Ladybug like this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    That's great. I'm looking forward to this happening.
    LC Garage likes this.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The BBB & Noobs Too Rebel; possible group project bike at the gathering, possibly a door prize too? These questions can only be answered by our fearless leader Lady Bug. Our job for now (Lady Bug, Jungle Man, Twin Duro, Teeny & Orrin) is to make the bike a runner worthy of more attention and a return to its former glory.

So here is a video from today's first efforts toward resurrecting this bike. The story (if I understood correctly from Jungle Man) was this '85 Rebel was purchased used in '91 as a bike for a fellows wife and was taken to their field for a test ride. There was apparently a crash, tempers flared and the bike was left in the field for the next 29 years, only to be rescued by Jungle Man. The video is unedited as I have no idea what I'm doing and just experimenting;

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-4FFsbB2/A

After the video, I cleaned the starter solenoid connections, put PB blaster in the cylinders and found one of my used (but still decent) SL350 chains and it fit enough to roll the bike back and forth in gear to try and get the pistons broke free (no kick start). No luck today, but after a good soak will try again. Fingers crossed.

Jungle Man likes this.
  18. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    WOW! Teeny and Orrin did a great job cleaning it up. Amazing what is still working.

Cory has the seat and has some ideas. Once we have the thumbs up that you think it can become a runner Cory will get to work on the seat and I’ll get to work on getting the needed parts.

Once we know for sure we won’t have to cancel we’ll come up with a plan for what we are doing.

Are there any updates on other beaters?
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    I'm bummed to report the Rebel is not fixable. Not fixable in the sense that the cost to repair it would far exceed its value.

Since Rebel's do not have a kick start and the electric starter would only click, decided to pull the left hand cover and use the stator bolt to try and turn it over and assess how "stuck" it really was. This is what we saw;
    [​IMG]

This was cleaned up to a reasonable extent and with the solidified starter chain removed, the starter was still frozen. With a wrench the motor would turn over, but made ominous crunchy sounds. Not good. I set aside my worst fears and forged ahead but my instincts said this motor was done.

Took starter off and apart, cleaned up and reassembled. Before and after;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With starter reinstalled and tested (it worked) and the starter sprag loosened up (it was frozen as well) began cleaning the starter chain, which literally fell apart as I wire brushed it. At this point I had t be realistic, if the chain was rusted completely thru, what shape would the crank and bearings be in, let alone the transmission and clutch?

So with regrets, throwing in the towel on this one. Looks like it is just a parts bike.

:(
    Jungle Man likes this.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    GOOD NEWS ! ! !

Yesterday I spoke with Mindy at the Fairgrounds and we are good to go with our plans. She is giving us the large Pavillion for the price of the smaller meeting room again so we have room to distance. Also, the fact that it was spotless when we left last year made a difference. Thanks to everyone that pitched in to put the tables and chairs away, sweep and mop the floors and everything else that was done. You're all the best.

Because bathrooms are an issue for cleanliness with corona-19 we talked about spray bottles of disinfectant will be provided and after taking showers we can spray down the shower stall and before using the shower. Similar to what gyms are doing now. Basically keeping things clean which I'm sure we won't have a problem with.

Since everything has been on hold waiting to find out if we could even have the campout I haven't made any firm plans so everything will be thrown together basically last minute.

I will be at camp probably Wed. afternoon or at the latest Thurs. morning.

@LC Garage will be at camp Thursday and has volunteered to provide instructions on how to get beaters running. I believe @Kootenai Rider will be doing a tire changing demonstration. He is good at tire repair/changing and makes it easy, even trailside.

If you have been working on a beater that you can't get running and are stumped as to where to go next, bring it to the campout and let all the knowledgeable people

Would everyone repost if you are coming or not? I have the IN list on the first page but with everything going on in the last 3 months I'm guessing some people have changed a lot of their plans, I know I have. Thanks :D

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and the cool motorcycles that will show up. :clap
    LC Garage and Jungle Man like this.