1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triple B And nOObs Too - 6/25/20 Thru 6/28/20

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Ladybug, Oct 23, 2019.

?

Fajita Dinner Sat. Night.

Poll closed Jun 24, 2020.
  1. Yes, please.

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No, thank you.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm glad the two of you will be able to attend. I will check on restaurant availability and let you know probably next week.
    LC Garage likes this.
  2. KilledByDeath

KilledByDeath Wherever I go, there I am

Oddometer:
    This will be my first ADV camp, and I'm looking forward to it. My wifey type will (mostly likely) be following in the Suburban as she doesn't yet have either a working bike or an endorsement - both works in progress. Looking to head over Thursday a.m. from the southern Willamette Valley. My dad, SmilinJack, has my folk's 49th anniversary on the 26th so he'll probably come over Saturday for one night. Still waiting on Fbritt5 and one other for a yay/nay.

Regards,
    Jack

p.s.: fajitas or any other taco-esque chow are a huge thumbs up from me 20200603_163806.jpg 20200603_161817.jpg 20200603_153002.jpg 20200603_154020.jpg
  3. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    @KilledByDeath you are on the IN list with the others. Your dad the Smilin' one has his priorities in the right place. See you there.

I agree fajitas are desired.
  4. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    For some reason...I felt a very strong draw to check out this thread...Now, I think I know why. The SL350 energy is strong here....I can feel it. :1drink hmmmmm.....
  5. Professor Fate

Professor Fate Hand crafted

Oddometer:
    Count me in. Be nice to be at a different venue together with my buds!
    smilin jack and Ladybug like this.
  6. Spirit1dog

Spirit1dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Closer inspection showed a leaky head gasket, fire ring was still sealed but oil running out in multiple places. Forgot to take pictures but also had to braze the exhaust back together. 40 years has taken its toll on the old girl. Back together now and runs as good as ever.
    FFAC8868[1].JPG DBAI6972[1].JPG
    smilin jack, Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  7. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is and your SL350 would be in good company here. Bring it on over. :deal :raabia

Very nice, I'm counting you IN.

@Spirit1dog, keep those reports and pics coming.:clap
    smilin jack and LC Garage like this.
  8. Spirit1dog

Spirit1dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Spirit1dog, keep those reports and pics coming.
    First time I've had the top end apart in the 8 years its been in my stable.
    It looked like this when I brought it home.
    IMG_20130130_205908_036.jpg IMG_20130130_210005_115.jpg

This is after the first clean up semi restoration before it meet the Xr600R.
    IMG_20130609_135308_538.jpg
    This is where its at now. Put a Xr600R front end and wheel set on it. Better suspension and real brakes. Also with the 21"front wheel can actually buy tires.
    IMG_3099.JPG It all started when I paid $450 for this
    2012-07-12_17-37-47_491.jpg
  9. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:

I might just be able to stop by on my way back from something else...I will have a vintage Honda with me, but it will only be 33 years old. I'll keep you informed.
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I hope it works out and you can make an appearance with your vintage Honda. Is it a motorcycle or a car?
    smilin jack and LC Garage like this.
  11. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    It was a good weekend for beater bike improvement. I piled in my 39 year-old pickup and road tripped from SW Washington to SW Idaho where the bike I'll be riding has been hanging out with Farmer Chris. We got right to work on the Beater Bike custom trailer:

IMG_20200604_213746.jpg

Farmer Chris took care of the critical welds, while I was happy to cut my teeth on some of the less-important pieces. Once all the metal gluing was complete, the attention was turned on the actual beater bike. FC's SL has been running well, but I still had a list of things to tackle before my bike would be running.

Previously, I had made a an Idaho trip and knocked out cam chain tension, valve lash, static timing (and found that one of the coils was dead), carb freshening with new floats and a good cleaning, seat upholstery, and changed the oil. With the amount of time that had past, I had forgotten about the oil change and had just started unscrewing the drain when I thought "hey that loosened pretty easily, let me check the oil color..." Glad that I did! Knowing that one of the coils was bad, and not having a spare, I chipped away at the magical 750 number and had new pairs of coils, condensers, and points waiting.

IMG_20200605_075045~2.jpg

Having already set the point gap, and having had previous bad experience with aftermarket points, I decided to keep those in the box as spares, and swapped in the new coils and condensers. The tank got a new petcock as the old one had been farmerized with a simple on-off valve, and we tried the hot glue trick to pull out some significant dents. The tank may not be prettier, but the usable fuel quantity is back to stock. ;)

"Before:"
    IMG_20200605_124304.jpg

A clutch, and rear brake adjust later (first motorcycle I've worked on with a rear cable setup) and we were ready for some fresh gas. After several years sitting the SL fired up quickly, but was noticably underpowered. Reached down to the headers, and number 1 was still cold. Boo. The (dented up) points cover came off, and manually operating the points made for a good spark on the left side. So I left the cover off, and went for a twin-powered spin. Despite putting what I felt was a large quantity of fuel in the tank, and running on reserve, I still managed to run out of fuel at the end of the driveway. Having just fired the thing up, the engine falling flat was at first a gut-punch, but was quickly diagnosed and remedied with more go-juice.

Now we had two running, riding, stopping SL350s, so we decided to shake them down with a highway and off-road jaunt. Both bikes made the run without incident, although ol' blue had a good amount of oil down the right side. We decided to try the new trailer on for size, the plan is definitely coming together:

IMG_20200605_202412.jpg

I had originally planned on running the existing tires, even though the BBB makes provisions for safety items. However, after running around in 5th at 7000 rpm, I started having second thoughts about the front tire. Jungle Man graciously offered to hook me up with some 21" rubber, so you can look for that to be happening in John Day. Also, on close inspection, it appears that the oil was leaking from the tachometer drive seal. A 500 mile road trip later, and I was at home digging through Honda 350 parts. Skunked! But then, a dip into the 750 parts bin and:

IMG_20200608_143529~2.jpg

Eureka! There's $4 plus shipping that can go towards a new front tube. I should mention that the points cover, besides being dented, was also missing its gasket, and the inside coating was compromised. True to the spirit of the BBB, we were able to fix this up with pounding, gasketing, and RTVing.

That about sums up the weekend's progress.

Attached Files:

12. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for posting about your progress. I enjoy seeing what is happening.

Keep it coming everyone. :clap
    smilin jack and Jungle Man like this.
  13. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    So, I'm just working with my mobile phone, and my previous post looks good to me as far as the picture formatting goes. Being new, I was curious if someone who is on their desktop could let me know if the pictures are a good size, or of they're ridiculously huge. Yes, I'm from the days of dial-up.

And to help stay on topic, here's a picture of the tire that'll be getting swapped:
    IMG_20200606_122241_01.jpg
    smilin jack likes this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I'm on my laptop and they look good to me.
    smilin jack likes this.
  15. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ladybug.

Here's one more from the weekend BB improvement session. Me wishing I hadn't left my color wiring diagram at home (it's just not the same on the phone.) It took me a minute to figure out that the LB* wire is not light blue. Farmer Chris ended up bridging the gap between non-functional farmer wiring and something that'll work.

*Low Beam
    IMG_20200609_204130_01.jpg
    smilin jack, Jungle Man and Ladybug like this.
  16. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    ! SWAP MEET !
    Thursday through Sunday or whenever you want your things out.
    With having plenty of inside room we can have items you want to sell, trade or give away, out the entire time, if you want. Bring all your goodies for motorcycling and camping that you no longer use and maybe they will go home with someone else.

I'll have a couple of tables set up for the swap meet items. Things can be worked a few ways:

1. Mark all items with price, first name, and user name. If someone finds something they want they can find you and work out the details.
    2. If you want to go with the honor system set a money box/jar with your items with your first name and user name on it.
    3. Designate a couple of hours Sat. afternoon or evening where everyone will be at the swap meet tables with their items.
    4. All of the above.
    The Pavillion will be locked at night. I will have access to the key as will one or two others so if someone needs to get in after hours you will be able to find someone who can let you in. I will have a note on the door with the hours the Pavillion will be open and who to find if you need to get in. Most of the time there will be someone at the Fairground but if none of the ADVers will be there the Pavillion will be locked. You'll be able to leave your swap meet items in the Pavillion without an issue.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Saturday Night Dinner
    There's now a poll at the top of the page to mark if you want dinner Sat. night or not. Please mark if you will want dinner or not so @Apple Jam knows if there is enough of an interest and how many he will be cooking for.

We understand the concern about covid-19 so there might not be enough people interested but I hope there is because I want dinner. :dukegirl
    And AJ makes one heck of a terrific meal. The kitchen in the Pavillion makes it easy to keep all the cooking items clean and sanitary. I don't think any restaurant is cleaner than the kitchen when AJ is cooking.

Speaking of covid-19 (which I don't want to but have to) I will try to have sanitizer and wipes on hand but I don't know how much I will be able to find so if you have these items and feel better being able to use them please bring your own for your use.

I will have a coffee pot running but I won't be putting out sugar, cream, cups, etc. so people aren't handling things you might handle. Please bring your coffee cup and fixings if you can't drink black coffee. I don't like this but for now I'm working on keeping this event as safe from covid-19 as possible.

About masks, I will leave that up to all of you. Wear them if you feel more comfortable with it but it's not required by the Fairgrounds. Of course, the Fairgrounds are in agreement with the recommendations to avoid the spread of covid-19. ADVers are big with hugs and at this time please check with someone before you reach out for that normal greeting. I was at a swap meet in ID last weekend and there were lots of hugs being given all over - I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm resisting getting the hugs I enjoy getting. :(:

I'm happy we are allowed to have this campout, even if there are a few inconveniences, since I was afraid we were going to have to cancel. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. :clap

18. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Voted. I am for fajitas AND air hugs/distancing.
    Apple Jam and Ladybug like this.
  19. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    Ma and Pa are in for the whole weekend.
    I see U-turn is wearing his old government issued uniform to work on bikes.
    Jack! Glad you're going to make it.
    smilin jack and Ladybug like this.
  20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    U Turn - air hugs are better than no hugs.

Jungle Man, it's good to know Jungle Man Ma and Pa will be joining us. They're fun to hang out with.
    Vote on the poll to let us know if you will be eating fajitas - you already know AJ is a good cook.