Trippin' in and out of the Rednek Republik

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by N-Id-Jim, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jorrie

jorrie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    N-ID-JIM should you ever come my way look me up, we so some amazing riding here.
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    More coming soon! The weather is finally starting to moderate. Man it has just been pure shit here all spring.. To help myself cope with the mental funk i made a little impulse purchase..

hope to have some more stories soon........
  3. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea. So...... the spring weather finally arrived after two record levels of precipitation in back to back months.. So all of our construction project schedules are delayed by mud bog condidtions,, then when it finally dries out everyone is behind so scheduling is difficult.. So... what do you do when life gets frustrating?? I just like to get out for a ride!

We spent one cool weekend bashing ourselves half to death riding the bicycles up by Lake Koocanusa.. but it was nice........ The Libby area is very cool...

A gushing Yaak River Falls too;

Then i got out on the motor bike for a nice little campout weekend while my other half (better) was coaching high school track down in Boise.. I try to take advantage of these breaks. So I did a meandering ride from Coeur d'Alene down along the lake... I decided to ride the Honda as the new blue hot rod isnt really well fitted up for travel,.... yet. The twisty road along the east side of Lake Cda is alway good for a few grins, as is the bitchin highway south out of St Maries, and then over the Scenic White Pine Highway Divide. These are some of my favorite local roads, and i had them all to myself. Then i made bee line toward Kendrick, Idaho, but stopped short here first just to drink in the view.

A shot for PNW Buttercup... the swallows were swarming!

Since it was 2pm before i got rolling out of my driveway, i decided that Hells Gate State Park in Lewiston would be far enough for me today.. Following another route I have bicycled many times over, I rolled into town over Web Ridge Rd and then past the old Round-Up Grounds and on down Tamany Creek Rd, which drops me right at the gate to the park. It was a glorious and warm afternoon so i was not in a hurry really.

I always seem to have good luck gewtting a decent site for tenting in this park, so I got set up and took a little walk up into the hills....

Nice views....

Sun fading....

Back to camp to visit with my buddy Evan.... he he he....

See ya tomorrow.. Cheers!
    klaviator and TheAdmiral like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode all over the Palouse this last weekend. On our big loop ride day, we rode past Hell's Gate up Tamany as we headed to Waha. We took a break in the shade under a tree at the Roundup Grounds. Don't get up this way much but with the girls living in Lewiston and Moscow now our trips have become much more frequent. This was the first with the motorcycles. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Hell's Gate. When I lived in Lewiston I use to ride my bicycle in there all the time. Need shade in the summer you know.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Nice to see ride reports getting active again.:clap
  6. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nice update!
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very Nice Sir Admiral.. i love riding out on the Palouse. A green spring day is especially fine. I have ridden both bicycles and motorcycles out to Waha many times. The views from there are great and the ride back I to town is even better! We visit Lewiston frequently, maybe we will cross paths in the LC valley one of these days.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  8. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:

The next morning I went here..
    klaviator likes this.
  9. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So........... After a glorioous Friday evening at the Hells Gate campground I awoke Saturday morning to a somewhat overcast sky. The morning was mild and non threatening, so as usual, I putterd about in camp making a morning fire, sitting around with coffee and hot cereal, yada, yada, yada. The cloud cover thickened a bit while i wasnt looking. Soon the whole kit and kaboodle wasa rolled up and stowed onto the viffer and it was time to roll out.

I had envisioned the possibility of blasting down to Enterprise, which is always a fun ride. I knew in my head there were miles of this:

But before i had made it five miles down to Asotin the temps were sagging lower and light rain was tapping on my visor......... Undeterred, i snaked up away from the river on the switchbacks of the Asotin Grade and was instantly met with a much colder air mass as I motored south toward Anatone. If you have never been by Anatone Washington, then you should program it into your gps and get there.

The light rain persisted. It was at the rate that makes you think: " It really isn't too bad, but maybe i should just stop and pull on my rain gear just to be safe...." Ha! Never! It's not that bad! So I ride on, getting colder each mile as I climb up to the Rattlesnake summit, thinking that soon I will descend into warmer temps and all will be right with the world again...

The road was wet enough to urge caution on the many wrap-around curves leading back down to the bottom of the Grand Rhond River canyon. Still I probably rode faster than i should have but it was fun and my grip seemed good. Down to the bottom, at the bridge where Boggan's Oasis is perched, I saw the two grungy KLR's nosed into the lot and i figured it was a good time and place to warm up.

Boggans is awesome. I cant believe how many times I have burned by here but never before had stopped in. After some friendly idle chit chat, a delicious omelette, and a gallon of coffee I was ready to go............ but where? I didnt have enough time to wander too far............. gotta get back to work you know..

The KLRistas mentioned they had come in via Troy Oregon, I had been there once before, so I settled on getting there for a look-see.....

When you see this................ you have just passed by Troy:

The ride out along the river is nice, slow and bumpy, but nice. Troy is maybe fourteen miles or so, one way, from the Oasis. But it is a picturesque canyon ride. Even in a steady rain. As soon as I got rolling away from Boggans I had to stop on the roadside to put on the rain suit. Onced at Troy I poked around and took a few pics.....

The road bridge toward Minam(goes past the steep road sign)

The old truss bridge is pedestrian only now...

Looking downstream from the steel bridge:

Looking downtown, such as it is....

I was glad i didn't wait to have breakfast in Troy as the cafe and the motel were all closed. I ate there once before and it was good... Maybe the summer season will see it going again?

I made a gray and wet contrail from Troy back to much warmer temps in Lewiston. After a warm up and a visit with friends I traced my home via the Waiwaiwi landing and the Palouse...... sorry no more pics today, i have posted those here before.

Cheers!
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is Waiwaiwi Landing on the same road as the Wawawai County Park? If it is we rode down from Pullman to the river road and on in to L-C. I lived in Lewiston for 5 years and had never been out here. Matter of fact, I discovered I hadn't explored much of the area at all.

It's been on my radar to ride out to Troy from Boggans for many years. If we make it to the Jamboree (rain & cold forecasted) it's on, otherwise, it'll still be on the wish list.
  11. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep the Landing is where the Wazoo crew boats are stored, the county park is right there too.. I like that parks and have had lunch ther a time or two..

Out of Troy there are great dual sport rides which would be awesome loops to ride from Enterprise...even though it may be a bit muddy this year.... Hat Point would be awesome too...............have fun!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  12. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sooo it has been a long summer, a summer of discontent, of sorts..

In July during a local mtn bike race, while negotoating a rather unremarklably ordinary stretch of trail I had ridden numerous tmes before, at speed, i managed to slam my front suspension to its limit on a tree root and instantly cartwheel over the bars.... immediately knowing full well i would land on the back of my head and shoulder and that my left clavical would probably be broken by the time i slid to a stop.. I had manged to do this before so i knew the outcome beofre i hit the ground.. I was pissed before i hit the ground too... i was stupid bad luck. And at 57 i just dont bounce like i used to, oh no ... i hit like a sack of crap and splattered all over the trail. Bike season over.....just like that. Months of discomfort to look forward to. I picked my self up and had to ride one armed the mile and a half to the end of the circuit, get my stuff loaded up and be driven to ER.

Just to not bew outdone, Twelve days later my GF wadded her mtb. The result?? A shattered humerous and humeral head, Surgery, just now starting PT.. UGH!

Needless to say we have not been out much on the bikes since then... but we did do a couple cool hikes. The best one was up the Kokanee Glacier Trail in BC over Labor Day weekend..

This is a moto thread though so I wont bore you with tales from the trails...
    I finally resolved to get out on the motorcycle last weekend for a little overnite scoot to a place i have spied on the map for years,, but never went out there... Dent Bridge.. Dent Bridge is about 16 or so miles up a squiggely line on the map to the north of Orofino Idaho.

My new to me Suzuki SV hadnt really been camp tested yet, so that meant trying some experiments with how that might work out.. so I fussed around in the garage with some soft luggage bags that had been on the shelf for a while.. it looked promising enough... what could possibly go wrong?
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh my, double ouch. Wishing you two a full recovery or best that you can at our ages.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thoughts Admiral..........

Anyway, prior to my mishap, I have been thoroughly enjoying the new blue sv.. what a terrific and friendly ride it is...so i have wanted to ride it over longer periods to discover if it would make a good traveling companion.... and to perhaps warrant fashioning some custom hangers to put some hard luggage on it.. yea I know, its a sport bike you idiot!

So having decidied i had healed up long enough to venture off for the weekend, I lit on Saturday morning hoping to see some skies that were not totally choked with forest fire smoke.. The smokie skies around here lately.. that is whole 'nother tale............

After 60-ish twisty miles of romping along the east shore of lake coeur d'alene down to St Maries the camp gear lash up appeared to behave ok..

So off i went making my way along familiar roads south to Kendrick where i turned up the Southwick Road, which is a curvey, hilly, bumpy, shortcut road that gives up great views of the Clearwater River valley.... up we go... notice the pretty blue sky.. :)

My next stop was at the Big Eddy Resort and marina on the west side of Dworshak reservoir just behing the damn big dam...
    Big Eddy:

Big Pine Cones

The Big Lake

The Big Dam

The ride up to the Dam and Big Eddy is a worthwhile excusion in and of itself.... the road up there is awesome on a bike, and there is a free campgound too... From there i cruised back down through the big bends and into Orofino proper.. Orofino is kinda fun, it is home to the Idaho State Hospital... and the local high school sports teams mascot is the Maniacs!

After fueling up in town and filling my little cooler with ice and a six-pack, my heading was northerly along the east side of the reservoir.. Up the Dent Bridge Road. Now this is the route I had until now failed to explore. I moved to Idaho in '91 and it took me 26 years to see this, shame on me.. This is terrific moto road for all of the way up to Dent Bridge.. It leads out into the remote hilly hinterlands of the North Fork of the Clearwater and after about sixteen mile you come to this view point... to me it is remarkable to find such a structure out here in the middle of nowhere..

Down the switchbacks and across the bridge the rout continues on out to the Corps of Engineers managed park known as Dent Acres.. A brillianly designed campground with all the amneities of water, power, showers, boat ramp, etc.. Being a week beyond Labor Day, it was agood time to visit.. I pretty much had my pick of nice camp sites all of which afford a view of the lake...

And another nice view of the lake
    https://jimwilly.smugmug.com/Day-Trippin-17/i-G8pngbR/A

I enjoyed a relaxed night with ice cold beers under a huge clear sky full of stars.. If you get out this way, Dent Acres should be on your list of places to see.. Hopefully there will be more excursions to report soon ...I am thinking pretty hard about working on that luggage idea now too.... Cheers!
    klaviator likes this.
  15. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno if you all had heard, most around here probably have.. It is such a bummer, it was a cool place, it is probably gone for good, but one can alweays hope.. The milkshakes were legndary.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn shame. I hope they rebuild. What a great bit of road in there.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So i guess it has been almost 2 years since my last installment to this thread. Busted my arm in 2017, then decided to build a house in 2018, busy at work, yada yada yada.... you know all the stuff that happens in life.. But I did manage to get in a couple nice trips this year, and posting up the memoir has been in the "good-intentions" pile for a while now.. So maybe i will start with my little trip to Dixie..
    20190615_122710.jpg
    klaviator likes this.
  18. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just needed to make a quick get away from the stress cycles of grinding and grinding at work and more of the same shit at home with the landscaping and all the chores of the new house, etc, etc. Everything was all wadded together like big cloud of doom over my head. So I brought out the Honda VFR and aired up the tires for a little getaway trip, alone, to just clear my head and camp and sit and think and have a little quiet time for myself. And maybe a drink or two.

On Thursday afternoon, with a clear weather forecast ahead, I was all set to go. The bike was packed and aimed toward the horizon. Friday morning I rolled out of the garage by 700am, but not yet free as I tooled in to work. I had hoped to get outta the office and on the road by noon, but of course that turned into 1 o’clock, and then 1:15, and all kinds of screwing around trying to finally get organized to leave and get on the road. It always seems like such a hurdy-gurdy hassle just to get going, but I finally did. Just need to make one more quick stop at the liquor store now!

I escaped Coeur d'Alene with everything on board the VFR. Fueled and stocked up and fully self contained for a couple of days of just getting away. Picking a path that always makes me smile, I headed out on the I-90 freeway to the East over Sherman and Fourth of July passes taking in the soaring views of Lake Coeur d’Alene, then took the Idaho Hwy 3 exit and motored on down the road towards Harrison and St Maries. Though it is a familiar route I have trapesed over many times, along the way I tried to mentally note anything that would be of interest for another possible excursion later on, and I did notice that down by Rose Lake and Black Lake there's a couple of access points for kayaking that we might want to try to visit later. The riding was nice, even if it was a bit windy but I was able to make good time cruising down to St. Maries, which is a routine stopping point for me.

No stopping today, I just turned left at the stop sign and continued on 3 down south toward Santa, Idaho. Some of my favorite routes are along Idaho’s byways in these parts. Idaho’s very rural and lightly trafficked Highways 3, 6, 8, and 9 all zig-zag through forests, up over mountains, along rivers, and around lakes. It really doesn’t get much better for motorcycle riding, especially in mid June when everything is as green as it gets, the rivers are gushing with run-off, and the sun is smiling down on me through a sky of cobalt blue. I rolled south in a more soothing state of mind. I drifted along in bliss through Clarkia and Bovill and the other quaint hamlets along the way.

I mistakenly thought there was fuel in Kendrick, but there was not. I had to go on down to Julieta which is a few more miles but not really a big deal. I filled up and bought some fried chicken on a stick which looks like it will be a nice little snack for later on.

20190614_174545.jpg

Conveniently I was also able to buy a big 20 oz coke and fill up my small cooler with ice.. cuz I just happen to have a bottle of whiskey along with me, and coke and whiskey sitting in the campground is a pretty nice amenity. Back up through Kendrick I haul ass up the switchy Southwick grade and pass a few campers along the way and just enjoy the undulating and zigzaggying road to the turn off of Freeman Creek Road, which brings me to Dworshak reservoir.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The riding was beautiful today. It's June and the hills are green and it's not too hot out. It was just a sublime ride of about 175 miles from home, away from the office, to Dworshak Lake State Park. The Southwick route across the prairie along the scenic rim high above the Clearwater River is very nice, though it is lumpy and bumpy and curvy and twisty and hilly. It ends with a huge steep descent of about 2 miles of 10% grade down numerous single-lane switchbacks that drop you into the state park.
    20190615_091427.jpg

Fortunately, the park is not full, and I scored a beautiful tent site right by the lake. Now it's time to have an ice cold whiskey and coke sitting in my folding chair right next to the water's edge looking across the sparkling reservoir which is full to the brim. Many others come here in boats to fish and while the days away out on the water. I enjoy watching the boaters sail by.

20190614_171244.jpg

I am such an idiot because even though I've come in here and unloaded my gear and changed my clothes and set up my camp chair at the waters edge…. I still sit here and think: oh my gosh there's all these things that I need to do! I should get things done. I need to get this done and get that done and get ready… And then comes the realization of oh my god I am so stressed out. Take a deep breath, chill.

Finally I am sitting here by the water with a nice ice cold cocktail trying to relax and trying to recall some of the things that I saw and felt along the way while enroute here. It was a good trip and now I'm going to work on setting up camp and getting organized to just have a relaxing evening. I think I will go scavenge firewood now to compliment the bundle I bought from the Rangers.
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try to make a fairy spartan and tidy but comfortable camp for myself..

20190615_054931.jpg

I burned the campfire wood until the day faded slowly to darkness. In mid-June the dusk hangs on stubbornly before giving way to starlight. I was up until maybe 10 p.m. Oh my that is late for me. It was so nice to just sit and relax and try to only think about the sounds of the water and the birds in the trees and the breeze. I didn't run out of whiskey and coke yet, but I tried.
    klaviator and Mike Ryder like this.