Trippin' in and out of the Rednek Republik

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by N-Id-Jim, Apr 30, 2012.

1. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to up load a short camp fire video and I flailed... sorry ... you will have to shut ur eyes and remember what it was like when you were a boy scout, or whatever is acceptable today.. ha ha
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    DAY 2...
    I think I slept pretty well in the tent which is always good. I only had to get up once to pee. Daylight comes early on June 16th so I was up and out of the tent by 5:30. I scavenged around to get the fire going again, picking up pine needles and pine cones and small twigs. Then I rooted around looking for a suitable fire-starter, to overcome the bit of dampness. I found an alcohol swab in the first-aid kit and that gave me a bright idea. I have officially added alcohol swabs to the camp necessity list. What a great little fire starting trick. It didn't take long before I had a nice little campfire going strong and the jet boil was steaming, ready for me to mix up the morning’s first cup of coffee. That is always such a wonderful thing.

With hot coffee in hand I sat by the fire as the Sun came up strong over the hills to the east and brightly lit up the surface of the lake. What a glorious place to just relax. With some hot oatmeal and plenty of hot coffee in my tummy I am ready to set about organizing my gear for the trip to Dixie. Dixie is the point of the trip, after all. Like a well practiced soldier, in no time I made fast the gear onto the bike, finished the coffee off, doused the fire, and rolled out into a cool crystal morning.
    20190615_064121.jpg 20190615_122710.jpg
    TheAdmiral and klaviator like this.
  3. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I mention jet boats? Just up the river from Orofino was a crowd of people and I pulled into a riverside turnout just to take a little break, and one of the fellas said: “you think this is a good place to watch?” And I asked: “what are we watching for?” He said: “the jet boats! there's a big jet boat race today.” Anyway the long in the short of it is, there happened to be a jet boat race on the Clearwater River from Orofino upstream towards Kamiah, and I watched a few of the big super-boats go by doing about 80 knots. That was pretty impressive. But once I have seen three or four, I have seen enough, and ride on. For a short bit I ride upstream alongside a racer at 65 mph and he keeps his gap. Those are fast boats.
    20190615_100341.jpg

So I motor on up highway 12 into Kamiah and top up the tank for the outback route to Dixie. I was looking for a sign as I thought the turn onto Highway 13 was in Kamiah, but it was actually at Kooskia, a few miles further up the road. Oh well, I didn't have any trouble finding my way. Riding Hwy 13 south up from Kooskia, you are heading up the south fork of the Clearwater River and it is a spectacular stretch, to say the least. Along the way I soon pass through the little teeny towns of Stites, and Harpster, and Golden. The road writhes a snaking path along the Clearwater River for about 70 miles all the way up to Elk City. The entire ride along the river was excellent with almost no traffic, the road surface is reasonably good, the sky was blue, the melt water was gushing down the steep canyon cascading over the rocks and rapids. It was absolutely beautiful. My mission was to go to Dixie though.

20190615_153112.jpg
    TheAdmiral and klaviator like this.
  4. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So just before arrival in Elk City is the turn off on the Red River Road which is the path to Dixie. The red River Road kicks in Bucks and twist and turn like a drunken f****** Bronco it was really a great ride but it was very slow because it was very rough and bumpy in the curves which were extremely tight, and Dixie is 30 miles up this road. I figured it would take a good hour to get up there and I knew it climbed way up to the Dixie Summit which is something like 6500 ft above sea level. The ride up was very scenic and I stopped and took a few pictures long the way of course and noted some of the signs to interesting places one of them being the Magruder corridor.

Red River:
    20190615_134515.jpg 20190615_132951.jpg 20190615_122726.jpg

Well as it turned out just beyond what's called the Dixie Summit, the road turn to fairly rough gravel and I still had nearly four miles to go to Dixie. I ventured on for a ways on the gravel but I lost my nerve and decided it would be best to turn around. It was disappointing to not make it to Dixie but I decided sometimes the better part of Valor is discretion, and I really didn't want a flat tire or some kind of incident in the middle of nowhere…. I don't think I had seen it car in at least 20 miles.

20190615_125454.jpg
    tjzondrz, klaviator and Suncoaster like this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really that much to see in Dixie. If you have a dual-sport or dirt bike beyond Dixie gets interesting. Glad to see you back posting as I've always liked your travels.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Like TheAdmiral said, glad to see you back posting. I hope you are able to do more now. Riding and camping is a huge stress reliever.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Admiral. Sir.. i have some more stuff to get to .. hopefully pretty soon.. :):D just got back from a long weekend of car travels to Pocatello, Gooding, Bliss, Hagerman, Tuttle, etc.. had some nice days down there in the river canyons..

10-4 Ladybug,,, you just said a mouthfull about stress relief.. more soon
    Ladybug likes this.
  8. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rest of the Dixie tune:
    Somewhat disappointed I turned myself around, climbed back up to the Dixie Summit, took a few pictures and decided I would just enjoy my time and gently Cruz back down the mountain along the river and venture on into Elk City and maybe find some lunch. That turned out to be a good play as I had a fantastic cheeseburger at the Dixie mercantile.

After my cheeseburger and brief tour of Elk City I decided the best plan would be to just motor on back down the river about 30 miles to a campground where I stopped in to take a little break earlier in the day. The campground looked promising with a water hand pump, picnic tables, camp fire rings,… all the necessities. And as an added bonus, it was a beautiful spot along the river. So I made my way, retracing my steps along the river counting the curves, watching the rapids, and just enjoying a beautiful day. Upon arrival at the afore mentioned campground I found a nice open site right along the river… and that is where I met “The Neighbors”....

At Castle Creek Campground on the South Fork of the Clearwater River I scored a spot Riverside and wouldn't you know it, That Guy across the way is friendly and in casual conversation I learned that he has been a contractor in the plumbing business in Spokane for a number of years. We had common contractor-guy threads.. Well one thing leads to another and pretty soon I am sitting around their camp with him and his significant other and a whole bunch of kin folk of his significant other, all from Grangeville Clarkston and Asotin. And pretty soon it escalates into a good old time roaring drinking party and then we have a huge family style spaghetti dinner in the campground. It was pretty great!

Thomas is his name, I think,. the plumber guy from Spokane. Anyways, it's always a small world as two of the people were from Wisconsin, I’m from Michigan, and they talked about the old days in the Midwest and mosquitoes and catching lightning bugs, and all kinds of fun stuff like that. Of course there was a fair amount of drinking going on as well, and all of the usual s*** talk about golf and hunting bigfoots and skiing and motorcycling and you name it. So as luck would have it, the drunk-cousin talk turned into some heated arguing between a couple guys, and pretty soon they were shoving and rolling on the ground wrecking lawn chairs and getting all grass stained.. it was hysterical. Women screamed at them to stop and things calmed down.. Then it was time for me to go.. It was kinda too bad as I didn’t get any good pictures of the festivities, lest they think me rude..

It was really a lot of fun and a nice little diversion. After all the time fully engaged with the extended family party I still had not set up my campsite and it was getting dark, so I made my way back and got everything organized. With the tent, sleeping bag, and all of the comforts set up I decided it would be nice to just go sit by the river. So with a little wine in my cup, I took my camp chair down and parked it right next to the river on a sandy beach to just watch the water flow by and watch the sky transform from glowing sunset to star lit. I did see a peculiar hatch of bugs that has me wondering what the heck they were as they working all about the waters edge. I don't know if it was a fresh hatch of something or what the heck it was… anyways it was a little odd. The length of the day caught up with me and it was time to check out the inside of my tent.

Here’s a few pics of the river next to my campsite:
    20190615_164008.jpg 20190615_164347.jpg
    20190615_165404.jpg
    In the morning it was time to head back to reality… Did I mention how green it was and how blue it was and how brilliant the water looked and how stunning the steep canyon walls the tall trees everything about it the breeze the Sun the day was stellar.

Cheers !
    dammitdave, TheAdmiral and Ladybug like this.
  9. couchtater

couchtater hunting wabbits

Oddometer:
    What a great thread! I just read through all 17 pages. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    My wife and I fell in love with Idaho this fall, can't hardly wait for the high country to open up in the spring!
    N-Id-Jim and Ladybug like this.
  10. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the kind words couchtater ! i have good intentions of getting a few more posts done soon of travels i made this past summer..