Trippin' in and out of the Rednek Republik

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by N-Id-Jim, Apr 30, 2012.

1. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out came the multi-meter and the manual... Testing was done... In the morning i would buy a repalcement battery first thing. And we would be off !

With the bike buttoned up we were off to blast southward up the Anatone grade, then down and up the Rattlesnake. I saw the new Bogan's but we didnt stop in on this leg of the ride. First stop was at the Chief Joseph overlook. I never get tired of this..an ice cold beverage with a view. You can see it was still a bit smokey, but getting better.. Oh, we are ever the optimists ! 20200918_125849.jpg

Thinking of a stop at the Terminal Gravity Brewery in Enterprise we remounted our steeds for the scenic descent into town. Too bad my bike wouldn't start. It looks like the Oregon wander was at its terminus. At least we did make it into Oregon, and we got to rip up and down the rattlesnake... But at 60 miles out it was time to re-route the plan... Re-ride the very fun and twisty curves again, and hope i make back to Lewiston.
    Enfo, popscycle, mka and 2 others like this.
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the bump-start leaving the Chief Joseph overlook, there would be no stopping on the return rip to Lewiston... which is ok since that is one fun stretch of road anyways. I was still grinning inside my helmet as we burned rubber down and up those glorious grades. Of course in my mind i knew the few watts being generated and remaining electrons in my battery were slowly being gobbled up by the ingition, fuel injection, and those watt thirsty headlights... my dash started going dark and the f.i. was surging on the five mile stretch from Asotin to Clarkston, and there is no place to park along there,,, hardly any shoulder on that stretch of road, and i really needed to get over the snake river bridge too. dang it.. Over the span i went and made it to within 4 blocks of the goal.. Had to push the viffer the last four blocks, but made into the barn!

The Friday start to the long weekend ride didnt go exactly as planned, but we are not easily deterred so we hatched a new concept. We put the battery on the charger and i extracted the 20 amp headlight fuse. In the morning we would just make the run back to Coeur dAlene to make a bike change and start again !
  3. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning it was raining. Perfect. Ride 120 miles in the rain on a motorcycle with an electrical defect, and the headlights disabled. That sounds like my kind of plan. After about 40 chilly miles we got clear of the rain, and i had Ben's bike to follow for a saftey shield. We made it a quick ride, I repacked my gear into a small backpack and we re off!

Instead of the anticipated Oregon weekend ride we settled for a romp in SE Washington with WallaWallaWa as our goal for the evening.. Of course we ended up have a great ride in spite of a few minor setbacks... how can you not? Heres a few pics:

Looking down the Palouse River near Washtucna - the sky is showing some promise of clearing up
    20200919_165006.jpg
    The confluence of the Palouse and the Snake off the fun Hwy 261... the great wide open !
    20200919_173617.jpg

20200919_174454.jpg
    The choo choo bridge across the Snake River at Lyons Ferry... one of my favorites... No choo choo tho

20200919_174729.jpg
    Lower Waitsburg Rd... i think... this is always a joy.
    20200920_090319.jpg
    McKay-Alto Rd going to Starbuck
    20200920_091908.jpg
    Pit stop... to let giant ag equipment roll by...
    20200920_091938.jpg
    Starbuck
    20200920_094258.jpg

Well..... all is well that ends well !

Cheers!
    Enfo, mka, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  4. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carved out a few hours on Saturday to take a quick scoot up into the CdA Nat Forest.. took a few pics for you all along the way.. this could be about the end of the season as the forecast is for mountain snow starting this weekend.

Above and looking south into the Coeud d'Alene River basin, Kilarney Lake area.. sorta..

20201014_134810.jpg 20201017_124254.jpg 20201017_124433.jpg 20201017_124442.jpg
    popscycle, NSFW, yokesman and 2 others like this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice picture of the river and valley. Yup, won't be long and we'll be stuck inside watching videos. ...but I'm still getting out until that "S" word stuff hits...and stays.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  6. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our low temps are forecast to be in the teens by the weekend... too frosty for my tootsies!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed......i need to go back to page 1 and catch up.

thanks Jim for sharing your travels.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  8. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Viffer is on the trailer, headed for Tucson on Saturday, made a reservation in Big Bend.

Film at 11 !
    Ladybug and popscycle like this.
  9. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok,,, so I didn't do a very good job of getting the Arizona rides posted, but they really did happen, i promise! I will do better !

But First.......
  10. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The California Trip.

So…. I did it, I pulled the trigger. I bought a new motorcycle. Sight unseen. So I had to retrieve it from the dealer some 1300 miles away. I put all my gear in a u-haul box, and went to the airport. A few short hours later Eduardo’s pick-up truck was out in front of the San Diego airport baggage carousel, tossed the big box in the back and we were on our way. The 30 minute ride gave us time to chat, and for me to think about how this whole deal was unfolding. Over the last couple weeks of digital question asking, picture looking, deal-doing, and planning, my itinerary for a four and half day coastal ride on a new-to-me bike was manifesting itself as reality. I was excited. I thought about how lucky it was the fuckers at the much closer dealership in Seattle had sold a bike out from under me at the last minute. How it can be so different from one dealer to the next, I will never know, but the guys at Escondido BMW are awesome.
    20210616_121246.jpg

In less than two hours the transaction paperwork and quickie orientation session was done, I was cinching up my helmet chin strap, shaking hands with Eduardo, and the u-haul box was in the recycle bin. Fortunately, the enormous pile of shit I had decided was necessary for the trip home somehow all stowed away in the top and side cases. I mean, you just never know, right? But I was prepared! Time to commence with the first mission: get north of LA. With the tank topped up, I circled a few block to access the I-15 North ramp. My first ever ride on a BMW, I bought sight unseen from way outta town. My first thought was: “man, this thing is smooth….. and pretty damn fast too !” The 1170cc boxer easily shot me into the brisk flow of maniacs on the southern cali freeway.

The first few hours were not pleasant, there is no sugar coating it. It was hot. Fucking hot for this Idaho kid at 102-F and rising. The afternoon traffic was plentiful. There we a lot of slow downs and snarls and a couple wrecks thrown in for fun just to bullocks things up. I had 72 miles of it on 15, and 50 more on the 10 to get over to the 101 just south of Thousand Oaks. Every time the traffic slowed way down, I got to test my lane filtering skills while smelling the fumes from all the dope smoker’s open windows, and watching people text furiously on their phones. So I had that to think about as I zigged and zagged thru the lanes, every one here is stoned and texting…. Cool! Not cool, it was hot! AS I made my way north on 101 I saw the Mulholland Blvd exit and I was off the death slab to fill the tank. Needless to say there were no pics taken on the freeway ride, but soon I was grooving on Mulholland, and spiraling down Deckers canyon rd to the beaches! I made it to the coast!
    20210616_171119.jpg 20210616_172816.jpg

My plan was, as a simple mind would have it…. Simple…Just ride up the coast for four days, and throw in a few fun canyon road detours along the way. My motel accommodations were ambitiously spaced, so I would have to not dilly dally too much in order to be home late Sunday afternoon. So far so good. My Wednesday morning flight got me from Spoane to San Diego by 11am, by 2pm I was out of the dealership and on the road, by 5pm I had made it to the coast. The 100+ degree freeway temps had cooled gradually to a refreshing 67 degrees by the shore My evening destination was a short ways up Hwy 33 from Ventura to Oak View. The late afternoon shoreline ride was sublime. I think I was in the barn by 6:30
    20210616_172842.jpg
    Enfo, BigDogRaven, rjnutt and 4 others like this.
  11. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Oak View to San Fancisco

Its funny how a few degrees of change in latitude can change so many things. This aint Idaho anymore Jimbob! Even though the California COVID restrictions had eased, some places were still sealed off with plastic bubble wrap and skull-and-crossbones signs saying: KEEP AWAY! In other places it seemed like business as usual. The Oak View motel was decent and pretty normal, a half block away at the Thai restaurant, it was carry-out only. No problem. I got good food and good rest. The morning route was up Hwy 33 into the Los Padres National Forest.. What a great ride up a long twisting canyon on smooth well banked pave’ for 30-ish miles to the Pine Mtn Summit..
    20210617_075231.jpg 20210617_081211.jpg 20210617_081331.jpg

Then down.. and across a high plateau of pistachio farms and strawberry fields forever. Maybe an artichoke farm or two as well. I joined route 166 and headed west toward the coast again via Pismo Beach and then to Morro Bay… to say hwy 1 along the California coast is a bitchin’ motorcycle route is a vast understatement. The road itself is endless tight curves, over hills and through creek draws, all the while affording spectacular views. I rolled up by the iconic places of San Simeon, Ragged point, and others ‘til stopping at Lucia Lodge for a quick lunch break. Fish and chips on the deck overlooking the bay. The $30 platter was mediocre at best, but the view was a million bucks worth. I motored on through Big Sur (major hoonyaak spot), and Monterey. Tourists be damned, I still had to stop quite a few times for pictures and to just drink it in. The beautiful beaches, parks, light-houses, and lush vegetation seems to go on forever.
    20210617_111824.jpg
    20210617_112530.jpg
    20210617_130255.jpg
    20210617_130349.jpg
    20210617_135636.jpg

Off the beach it was into the chaos of Watsonville, where a serious wreck just up ahead of me closed the road and forced me onto a confusing alternate time wasting route. And then Santa Cruz. After escaping all that crap,, it was back to the beaches for a bit. Right up until I spied Gazos Creek Rd….That is where I made my next scenic detour into the canyons…..sorry I was pretty busy so no pics ! It was up Gazos creek to Pescadero Creek, then onto 84. These are storied moto roads for good reasons. Narrow redwood tree lined steep twisting canyon corridors. And I have to say that my steed is duly impressing me, this Bavarian machine handles every bit as well as my Viffer or SV1000 for that matter, and it feels effortless. The big twin’s endless torque virtually eliminates rowing through the gearbox. (Not that I dislike making my viffer howl.) At the corner of 84 and 35, of course, sits the famous Alices Restaurant. I had it in my craw that could be a thirst slaking stop, but the enormous crowd of people there at 5pm deterred me from even entering the parking lot. I rode on. The fun continued down 35 back to the waters edge near Half Moon Bay.. By now I was getting antsy to find my San Francisco accommodations, so it was back to the 1, kind of… as I got all directionally twisted around and back on 35, then the damn 280, found the 1 again and straight down the main drag almost to the Golden Gate Bridge, with a right turn on Geary Ave. My hotel, Geary Parkway Hotel… recommended… was 2 blocks from Hwy 1, and in the midst of several great places to eat drink and be merry. Which I did.
    20210617_202207.jpg
    Enfo, BigDogRaven, rjnutt and 5 others like this.
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The coast does have beautiful views. I had to look up what hoonyaak meant haha. Too bad you have to drive so far to get a motorcycle. Lucky you, you had to drive a long way to ride it back home! :-)
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    great start and on a bitchin bike...awesome.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  14. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on a great bike and a great ride!
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  15. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3: San Francisco to Fortuna

I knew today would be a long one in the saddle, so I tried to get going early, out of the hotel parking lot by 6:30. Hopeful the sun would be shining on the big bridge to afford some nice bright and early photos was another reason. Pleased to be across the busy bridge and into the viewing area on the northeast side by 6:45am, I got a few pics snapped and tried to be patient for the foggy haze to lift off the city-scape across the bay. Patience not being my long suit, I motored on happy with the shots of the bridge structure.
    20210618_064832.jpg
    20210618_065550.jpg

Studying the map details I spied a couple roads right out of Sausalito that looked like they might be pretty entertaining. Shortly after catching the Hwy 1 turn, it was onto Panoramic Blvd. Even though there were a LOT of mailboxes and driveways along here it was early enough to still be fun zipping around the tight curves. Next up was the State Park exit for the look-out structure at the top of the hill. It was four miles both in and out. It was a bit disappointing at the end of the road parking area to find there really is no good view there. It was a scam! I checked out the vistas at a few of the wide-spot turn outs and called it good. Wishing I had skipped this detour and just stayed on the 1, it was time to wind my way back down to the mother road and meander north.
    20210618_073151.jpg
    20210618_073824.jpg 20210618_075324.jpg
    Those initial peeks of the Pacific never disappoint. This is high above Muir Beach.
    20210618_105230.jpg

There were views like this, lots of them, all the way up to Fort Bragg.
    20210618_105410.jpg

I would have to say the miles between Ft Bragg and Leggett were, hands down, the most entertaining riding miles of the trip. A brilliant section of thrillingly curvy pavement through amazing dense forests. At Leggett my route rejoined the mostly 4-lane Hwy 101 north, then up to the very cool scenic redwood forest byway…
    20210618_143306.jpg
    20210618_143318.jpg

Then I needed a break, I had a great time here chatting with a couple of local tour guides who helped me with directions to the Mattole Rd. Just a bit further on up the redwood drive I found the turn-off.
    20210618_145432.jpg
  16. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thirst slaked, I was off on my quest to find the Lost Coast. Along the way I rolled through Honeydew, and Petrolia, and past a few growing operations….
    20210618_163459.jpg 20210618_163553.jpg 20210618_163625.jpg

I found It !
    20210618_165231.jpg

The entire length of this road out here is so rough and deteriorated and full of holes and heaves and humps of bad patchwork, I was worried I could easily ruin a wheel, so I took it pretty easy. It makes for a looong ride around to Ferndale.
    20210618_170854.jpg 20210618_165755.jpg 20210618_175309.jpg

Ferndale…. Finally:

I rolled into my hotel in Fortuna, by 630pm, glad to be off the bike, I was off on an easy walk over to the busy friendly Eel River Brewing Company. The beer was cold and the food pretty good.
    20210618_194724.jpg

Couple shots of the Eel River after dinner.
    20210618_210131.jpg
    Enfo, BigDogRaven, doc4216 and 7 others like this.
  17. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Fortuna to Astoria

Today’s ride will be quite a few more miles than yesterday, even without the slow slog to the lost coast, I tend to stop and take pictures frequently, and the string of slow speed limits through all the towns and hamlets along the way makes it impossible to make any time.. sooo at 6:30am with the tank topped up… the 101 north was my route.

It was pleasant in the cool and thin morning mist, the first day of any fog or dampness to speak of…
    20210619_080145.jpg

The riding northward is fairly uneventful to just get through Eureka and Arcata, the road is nowhere near the actual coast and there is really nothing to see there when just passing through. The coast just north of there is pretty though, up by Trinidad and Orick, if a bit foggy this morning, and lotsa really big trees too.. Then the elk, real wild elk that aren’t really very wild.
    20210619_082053.jpg
    They sit right next to the road munching whatever grows there (weed?) and glare at you as you take pictures.. then its away from the coast again and riding through the groovy twisty curvy hilly redwood forests again… until sweeping down by the beautiful beaches coming into Crescent City, which you don’t see much of as the 101 just sort of skirts town proper, and I wasn’t ready to stop yet or spend any time just looking around, so maybe I will catch it later on another trip…
    20210619_093201.jpg

The fog had pretty much burned off by now and the sky was clearing so it was nicely warming up and the views were improving.. Almost done with California, I stopped for a final picture at Clifford Kamph Memorial Park – which is a cool little stop-off, and they have some basic tent camp sites too.. the beach view was nice.. This would be a great place to spend a night in a tent, if I had camp gear and more time.

Into Oregon: Leaving Cali was easy for me, everyone headed south, however, had to stop at the Ag inspection station, the line looked annoyingly long, I sailed on north….. Riding the Oregon Coast has its highlights and pretty beaches to be sure, but the road is not really very entertaining for the sporting type rider. Either riding long stretches of fairly straight highway through the woods or meadows or geezer putzing through the endless string of small towns is what constitutes most of the time spent along OR 101. Since I had already reserved my room in Astoria, I stuck with the coastal route, but it was tempting to go get lost in the rural winding mountain roads where I have whooped it up before…plus, I really need to make it home tomorrow, or that is what I have convinced myself of.

Some pics along the way….
    20210619_123827.jpg 20210619_161139.jpg
    The short scenic detour down and around to Umpqua River Light House at Winchester Bay was a winner.. (I had a fantastic Mexican lunch here too !!)

When I finally rolled into Astoria after a looong day, I was happy to have stuck with the plan.. this is a place I will definitely return to again, and am surprised I haven’t made it here before now…
    20210619_190610.jpg 20210619_190344.jpg 20210619_190358.jpg 20210619_190455.jpg

A loong day
    20210619_183334.jpg
  18. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok.... to wrap this up...............

Day 5: Turn and burn from Astoria to Home

It is Sunday June 20th, Fathers Day, there are burgers to grill and eat! Its 480 miles home via the chosen route. I peeled outta the less than impressive Columbia Inn by 545 am. (That is a place I will not return to) Astoria was awesome, a return trip there is guaranteed, just hope to pick a better accommodation next time. Around the spiraling ramp I launched onto the long spans of the bridge across the mouth of the Columbia River to Washington State.
    20210619_190617.jpg

A right turn sent me east on Hwy 401 along the north river bank for a scenic and flowing ride. A future ride will swing left on the 101 and out to yet unvisisted Long Beach. Since the cheap motel didnt even have coffee, and nothing else in town was open yet I had to depart town with no caffeine in my veins, which goes against all my principles. So after about 20 miles I stopped at the first convenient gas-food-minimart I saw to swill down some fresh hot brew and eat a nasty old breakfast sandwich out of the hot case. With the belly needs quenched, the ride along the Columbia was great.
    20210620_080610.jpg

The route leaves the river bank and swerves around in the deep forest passing through teeny hamlets that you don’t really even notice for a bit before joining hwy 4 which eventually returns river-side and rolls along into Longview WA. The I-5 passes through here, as Portland is just to the south. My alternative to the interstate is 411 north along the west side of the Cowlitz River up to Vader and 506 and east to Toledo. These are great little stretches that allow a brisk pace and very little traffic. Zig-zagging about on some farm roads, Jackson, Tucker, and Classe popped out onto Hwy 12. I pumped some more ethel in Ethel and headed up the hill toward Packwood. Hwy 12 is fast and on Sunday morning I motored right along. .

My objective today was to swing up Hwy 123 over Cayuse and Chinook passes, Then down to Yakima. It is a brilliant ride from Hwy 12 up the narrow winding route over the summits, and you get tremendous views of Mt Rainier..
    20210620_111854.jpg
    20210620_111957.jpg 20210620_112146.jpg 20210620_112628.jpg 20210620_112643.jpg

Off the top of the hill, after taking some pictures, it is a really nice ride all the way down the American River canyon to Naches, then into Yakima for fuel and a McDoodle. After standing in the hot sunny parking lot eating my junk food it was time to burn a laser trail home. The fun is over, except for going fast across the desert. Hwy 24 through Moxee past the hops farms, then out into the long straightaway desert stretches that surround the Columbia River, across the spooky Hanford Reach out by the Area, then up to Othello, over to 395, freeway to Ritzville, I-90, Home at 4:30!

The route:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46....068b634!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

The end !
    Enfo, BigDogRaven, eaglescan and 5 others like this.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    damn...that's one of the best ways to enjoy a new bike that's perfect for elevation changes and twisties. riding northbound on the pacific coast is fun except you have to watch out for oncoming vehicles and following a driver in front that will slam the brakes to make an unpredictable left turn. not that easy just pulling off the road and stop for the view.

Mattole Rd you're right, full of holes, bumps, and uneven surfaces. it put the final blow on my leaky fork seals.

you made it and that matters most!
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    NSFW, Yea! you are right about the cages with no brains inside! Lotsa those to keep an eye on! Thanks for riding along. If you ever get up this way be sure to give a shout, I have space for weary travelers.
    NSFW likes this.