Trippin' in and out of the Rednek Republik

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by N-Id-Jim, Apr 30, 2012.

1. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Great ride report and an awesome adventure for a brand new bike! Glad you made it home safe, happy and satisfied with your effort. Cheers!
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks ZnZ.. glad you made the cross reference to the thread.. I was too stupid to post a linky there.. ha ha. Cheers!
    zacnzoe likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    sure will do and thanks for the offer....ID is a beautiful place.

next time you come to LA, you get the same deal.....except elephants are in the nearby zoo.
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  4. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Arizona Trip.

So…. I must be getting old, the evidence points to that since I spent a month (March) down in Sunny Arizona…. That was instead of getting more ski days here at home in north Idaho. Actually, it is my Mom’s fault. She has been taking winter get-a-way trips for as long as I can remember. Then she comes home to brag about how great it was. She used to drive all the way to Florida, now she only drives to southern AZ, where she rents condo for a couple months at a time. So this year (Spring ’21) it was decided that my better half would drive south with her in late January, fly home, then we both drove down in late February to spend March at Arizona digs with Mom. Then we could all drive home in tandem about April 1.

This all started in in the Fall of ’20, so there was plenty of time to plan. I got excited thinking about having what amounts to an extra month of summer-like weather for riding. It didn’t take me long in the planning process to figure out that it would be pretty easy to tow a small trailer down there with my VFR lashed on. Then the maps came out. Where are all the places I could fairly easily ride to from the Tucson vicinity? Places on my hit list are New Mexico, Texas, Big Bend in Texas! Big Bend had been on my List for years, it is a light-year away from home but only one looong day away from Tucson. Now there’s an idea! If it weren’t for COVID, I would think about going to Mexico too.

Well… maybe… 2020 into 2021 changed a lot of things. One of them was how campground reservations are handled. I soon learned that Big Bend National Park was only operating at partial capacity. The only camp site reservation I could get in the entire month of March was for one night only up in Chisos Basin (where I wanted to be), a Wednesday in mid-March. So I took it, figuring there are other campgrounds, motels, etc. and I could work out how to manage a two or three day visit to the area. Groovy, at least I had one camp night pegged in the Park, and reserved a couple room-nights just outside the park. I visualized the incredible starry night skies, fields of blue bonnets, tasty tex-mex, and unending undulating Texas roads.

The truck canopy would be stuffed with our bicycles, camp gear, riding kit, warm weather clothes, lotsa hooch, and whatever else we deemed we might need, the overflow could be on the trailer as well. What a plan! Once we got outta the north woods winter it would be smooth sailing into warm sunny southern skies.

The clock eventually whirled around to the departure date, and we’re off ! Luckily I had the good sense to cover up the Viffer pre-trip as we slogged through a brutal blizzard in the Blue Mountains of Oregon and then miles and miles of partially melted road ice. It took three days to reach our destination in Green Valley, (we don’t travel too hard) Then me two days to clean the residue from the truck and trailer, but upon arrival the moto was mostly clean. The filthy tattered cover was tossed into the nearest dumpster back in Kingman AZ.

I took a nice day trip to see some of the surrounding desert as soon as was practical….. first over to the weird thing on the hill....

20210302_125031.jpg
    20210304_095241.jpg 20210304_102620.jpg

Then down here
    20210309_145531.jpg 20210311_174354.jpg
    Then here. 20210309_152316.jpg
    The Steakout was unfortunately closed, like a lot of things in Arizona in March '21
    popscycle and Enfo like this.
  6. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another little wander about was over to this curious canyon i had read about...this was a worthwhile trip to a pretty out-of-the-way spot.. here is a screen shot image since i failed to take a picture of any of the signs while i was there..
    Screenshot_20210314-193124_Maps.jpg
    20210314_123736.jpg 20210314_112859.jpg 20210314_112902.jpg

20210314_121053.jpg What most of the riding around here looks like: not super scenic,, at least not to me anyways....
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing a little ride up around Lake Roosevelt this weekend... 68878.jpeg
    Enfo and TheAdmiral like this.
  8. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made a rest stop here.. more later 20210717_115945.jpg
    Ladybug and Enfo like this.
  9. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to the Arizona trip..............

As expected the early March Arizona weather was great. Lovely, sunny, warm, breezy, everything you hope for. The Big Bend reservation on March 10th gave me plenty of time for pool lounging and doing some short day-rides around the local region prior to departing on the 9th. The favorable weather forecasts were encouraging and the excitement was building. Then I got the email.

National Park officials courteously informed all that the re-construction of the only road to Chisos Basin would be closed daily from 7am to 2pm, open from 2pm to 5pm, then closed again. Everyday. Unbelievable! March is the busiest tourist month in Texas, and the brilliant government project managers close the road. Sadly, angrily, frustrated, and just plain pissed off, I cancelled my trip reservations. It was hard enough getting it all worked out in the first place as the Park was still only operating at 2/3 capacity due to COVID, so there were no good alternate options to stay there, and the surrounding places I had contacted were pretty much all booked up. What a disappointment! I needed a new plan…….. so I made one up.

Eyeing the maps and having recently read stories about fun and scenic routes up in the NE nether-regions of Arizona and NW New Mexico, I started plotting out some promising looking loops. I made a few motel reservations after the local campground people told me it was still pretty cold at night in the higher elevations and campgrounds don’t open til mid-April. (I didn’t get the hint). It was 80 or 90 degrees everyday in Green Valley. I was looking forward to some cooler weather.

Detour Day 1, March 25th to Silver City, NM

It started out well enough, just a pleasant ride across the desert landscape checking out the big saguaro cacti and some of the other odd sights along the way in these parts along the way, while keeping an eye out for those wylie coyotes.
    20210323_141429.jpg 20210323_095624.jpg

Then it was onto Interstate 10, easting for a couple boring hours, which isn’t great but the wind was relatively calm and it was a beautiful morning. There is always some weird incident though, right? I was just rolling along doing my daydreaming thing, maybe five over the limit, when I start closing up on a dawdling left lane cruiser. No biggie, I just roll past on the right and give the texting woman the evil eye, and go on my way. Not five minutes later, here she comes making an eighty-five-plus mile an hour bee line in the left lane. It was one of those small egg shaped econo jobbers, it was surprising how fast it was going.. I stayed outta the way as she blew by and turned into a speck in the distance. Then I saw the dust cloud in the median.

It took me good minute to get there. Cars were pulling off onto both the shoulders, a person was running toward the overturned egg car, the woman was climbing out of the shell holding her head. Egg car shell debris was scattered everywhere! Yikes, I got the heck outta there. That was more excitement that what I really needed. I wondered if she got cut-off as she was flying by someone, or maybe looking at the phone again?? Who knows. For her it was trip over.

Having never been there, I fist pumped as soon as I crossed the New Mexico line, and the rest of the miles to Lordsburg NM were uneventful and boring. And there didn’t appear to be any visit worthy events there either, just a dusty crossroads in the western New Mexico desert. Being the first NM town you come to traveling east, there is a visitor center just off the freeway. Being a big fan of free maps, I pulled in for a look. Sorry pal, closed for COVID til further notice. No maps for you!

Well, at least I was off the damn freeway and the two lane NM 90 stretched out across the lonely landscape in front of me and up a loong steady grade for as far as I could see. Roughly fifty miles to Silver City, and it wont take long. What the highway lacked in entertaining curves it made up for in huge grades and long reaching vistas high up into the lands of enormous open pit mines. I wasn’t aware of how many active pit mines there are around these parts, but I didn’t really look into it either. The Freeport McMoRan gold and cooper mine is pretty impressive. I am always dumbfounded by the sheer scale and proportions of these types of things.. we must have one hell of an appetite for metals. I wonder how excited people would get if you flew a drone up over the pit for pictures?? Hmmmm.
    20210325_160918.jpg

I crossed a grade break marked “Continental Divide” whatever that is, and drifted down hill toward Silver City.

I found the Drifter Motel, checked into my digs, dropped off a few things, and had a snack. I think I was there by 2pm, so there was plenty of daylight left to be off to ride a forest road loop up into the mountains that I had scouted out on the goooggleeoogle maps.
    Linky, if you dare: ( used the cycling app to show the vertical )
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32....4,-108.2230811,11.26z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1?hl=en

It is about a 75 mile loop that took nearly 3 hours to ride with stops, pics, and gawking through the fence into the enormous Chino Mine hole. Also run by the The Freeport McMoRan company.. What a hole!
    Afew pics along the way:
    20210325_151835.jpg 20210325_151830.jpg 20210325_151840.jpg 20210325_152443.jpg 20210325_152445.jpg 20210325_153350.jpg

This was a greatly entertaining ride that I would heartily recommend to anyone who meanders through these parts.

Back into Silver City for the evening I found and enjoyed a decent meal at Wranglers Bar and Grill, where they were friendly and didn’t seem to be afraid of COVID at all, but many other places in New Mexico appear to be shuttered. The Drifter Motel was just fine and dandy too…
    Ladybug and popscycle like this.