1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph 900 - two up comfort n handling?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by MTMike, Sep 3, 2020.

1. MTMike

MTMike n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Triumph 900 riders. Would appreciate feedback on the 900’s comfort n handling for occasional two-up adventures, mostly pavement, occasional dirt n gravel roads. Thanks in advance!
  2. noodlelegs

noodlelegs where's my helmet? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second that motion.. I guess this is a one up only machine.
  3. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In comparison to what?
    If you compare it to an Africa Twin or a BMW F850GS, it will probably be quite similar.
    If you compare it to a Tiger 1200 or BMW 1200GS it will of probably lose (at least on road), but this is hardly surprising.
    I only have a Tiger 800, but i think two up riding is fine with it.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is your definition of occasional 2 up riding?
    Is it just Joy rides around with the odd smooth gravel road so she can be like "yay" and take a couple photos?
    Whats your weight and her weight / size?

I have a tiger 800, so size and handling are fairly similar.
    Im a bachelor so I take a lot of different women for occasional rides.
    You'll typically find something between 5'2 - 5'7 and ranging from 105lbs-125lbs on the back of my bike. Now I've had a couple of 150 ish lbs on the back and the bike wasn't loving that haha.

For simple rides around town, the bike is perfectly fine for it. So no issues with that whatsoever.
    For longer distance... i find I'm a little restricted, I cant move around as much to keep comfortable, she's limited in room so she isn't super comfortable so I find a 600km day is about as far as you'll wanna go with stops here and there.
    Neither the 800 or 900 are sprung for that kind of weight so its not going to handle it as great, but allow extra stop time and avoid large bumps, dont corner like a racer and it'll be fine.
    I've also done some mild gravel roads and it handled it just fine.

So its really up to you and your passenger, personally I find the tiger 800 is fine for what I need when it comes to a passenger however for a comparison... few years back I rented a Harley Road Glide Special with a passenger touring back and after 800km... both were still comfortable and good to go.
    Xchemie likes this.
  5. ride200mi

ride200mi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I tried one of the new 900's. It sits and feels like our current XRT 1200. Somewhat a different feel in the front due to the 21 v 19 wheel size. But seating, we didn't feel much different.
  6. MTMike

MTMike n00b

Oddometer:
    Very helpful, thank you! I’ve been riding a 2007 VStrom, usually solo but sometimes two up for multiple day/night outings. Worked well but looking to upgrade my bike. Was just curious about the 900’s two up plus gear capacity n handling. Cheers!!
  7. Captain_nd_coke

Captain_nd_coke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the triumph advertising the GT PRO with two up riding in twisties I thought the 900 could take it. I did a test ride last week with my wifey (shez 130#) and it was better than my 800 '16 roadie.
  8. DCOURTS1984

DCOURTS1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    prospective 900 buyer reading this entire forum and still trying to figure out if I'm riding street 80% of the time, am I a complete idiot for going with Rally Pro vs GT Pro. Gut tells me GT Pro and RP im just being persuaded by looks.
  9. AdamDaze

AdamDaze 2015 Tiger 800 XCX

Oddometer:
    On the 800, the rear seat is incredibly spacious for my partner, but one thing to consider is that neither of us are fatasses. We could actually just about fit another "her" in between us. Plenty of room. The rear pegs were shite slippery rubber though, and replacement options are few.

I've toured on an R3. The Tiger is a armchair in comparison, particularly with a backrest equipped givi topbox.

In the 800 series the top model (XCA) had a crucial difference in a larger alternator and heated seat. Good to cater to a pair of heated vests/gloves. Not sure about the 900.
  10. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that the Rally Pro has sealed wheels, I'd jump on that in a heart beat. The only thing I dislike about my XCA is the tubes.

If being honest... out of my 25k km per season I maybe do about 2k km on gravel or "off road" so I'm barely even 10% off road but still, I wouldnt switch to the road version
  11. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which Triumph 900?, T100? Street Twin or Street Scrambler (2017+)? I can speak to the Street Scrambler. Street Twin will be similar in many ways except for the low exhaust and maybe under the hood tuning on the engine.

Need a better pillion seat because stock is atrocious. Bench seat is better. High exhaust is hot on pillion leg. Stock shocks are kind of middling for added weight, and upping preload to setting 5 (max) per manual for two up makes it a very stiff ride. Max load is something like 475 lbs but if you are heavy and rider is heavy and you have gear, you will bottom stock shocks out easily. The 2019+ Street Scramblers have better front suspension than 2017/2018 but the rear is the same. With upgraded rear shocks from Hagon or Ikon for prices around $450-$550, you will have better comfort and security.

If your combined weight is 350lbs with all your bits and bobs I think you'll be fine for brief excursions, but the solo seat with pillion must go. Many after market seat options, some specifically made for two up.