Triumph Explorer / DMC M72DX Sidecar Rig - I found my dream rig, now please help me get it together!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by TripleDaddy, Sep 13, 2020.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    davebig likes this.
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    It is what it is, things change but very slowly, I would be wiling to bet no one in that outfit had any structural welding experience period, the term certified welder is a hideout and actually means very little unless you know what he's certified in !
    This is Merica and if I say I sincerely believe something it's absolutely true !!!!!!
    I believe Strong Bad and Bobmws are the two smartest inmates on this forum and that sidecar building is not as easy as DMC would have us believe !
    No end caps on the connection arms :fpalm Did they have drains ? Railing builders in welding shops everywhere would laugh WTF !

DMC-MS-TRIUMPH-1200 EXPLORER Complete (bike side) motorcycle to sidecar mounting kit for Triumph'S 1200 Explorer. Also available for left-hand side mounting. Handcrafted in the USA! $895.00
    At least the robust square tube subframe looks to have mitered corners :hmmmmm
    To be fair some of Claude's welding looked awful but never failed and was always overbuilt , the winch mount he did on blackie was a mess my welder buddy said wow your not going to leave that on there are you ? We built a new one.
    My take on sidecar building now is ask allot of questions don't buy shit you don't need, don't pay any of them to build trick one off stuff (you may not see your rig for years) . Question everything !!!!!! Except about Stong Bad and Bobmws !:-)
    A minor rant are you guys happy now ?
    Bobmws and chefchil like this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I was actually happy before the rant. But, yes Dave, that was a good rant. I'm happy.
    Bobmws and brstar like this.
  4. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the rear suspension seems to compress too much (more than I ever experienced on a Ural) when I make right hand turns and weight shifts to the left. I'm 210 lbs and the bike is rated for a weight capacity of ~440 lbs of payload. I'm guessing the sidecar weighs ~250 lbs, so we are likely at the upper limit of payload for the bike. It handles and feels fine except on hard right hand turns.

I'm planning on this rig being mostly for highway and the occasional gravel road adventure ride. Not planning on using it for hard-core off road riding; I'd rather get a light dirt bike for that.

My first thought would be to upgrade the spring on the rear shock and use it until the rear shock needs service, likely years from now. That would make it a ~$100 upgrade instead of a ~$700 upgrade for a new rear shock. It likely wouldn't be as nice as a fully custom rear shock, but would likely be more than adequate for my intended use.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20201101-071820_Chrome.jpg
    Bobmws and brstar like this.
  5. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is what I did.
    That part works well enough for now.
  6. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Also, can anybody help me source this exact terminal and extraction tools? I want to make my heated grips install as nice as it can be, and don't really want to cut out the old terminals just because I can't find them. They look like Molex 2 pin locking bullet terminals, but I can't find a part number anywhere.

Not trying to debate whether these are the best, just trying to find compatible replacement terminals, so I can cut off excess wire and not have a bunch of cable zip tied under my gas tank.

20201101_074416.jpg 20201101_074434.jpg 20201101_074455.jpg 20201101_074518.jpg
  7. PaulRS

PaulRS Dutch fool

Oddometer:
    I use these;

Dmc Ms24256R16 Removal Tool Drk16

21ZGbzA9RhL._AC_.jpg

They come in 3? sizes, this R16, a smaller R20 and a bigger R12

Not cheap, but work a treat.

Paul.
  8. PaulRS

PaulRS Dutch fool

Oddometer:
    Oh, sorry for the big letters.
    I copy/paste the p/n, and the font went all wonky.

Paul.
    brstar likes this.
  9. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I ordered some Molex 0.093" connectors, and some tools. I should be able to reuse the plastic parts.

Attached Files:

Bobmws likes this.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Most round connectors can be removed from their housings using a "Deutsch" connector removal tool. Search for that term on Amazon and there's quite a variety. Also youtube vids.

And on your shock, bigger spring is usually a good answer. On my humongous K1200LT rig, I'm using the stock BMW shock with a big fat HyperPro spring. Works great.
  11. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I reached out to Klaus the HyperPro distributor to learn more about what is available for my Triumph Explorer. I'll reply back when he replies.

https://epmperf.com/contact-us/
  12. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Klaus got back to me. I'm going to wait until I can compare the existing spring rate with what he's proposing:

"Yes, we can offer a replacement spring from Hyperpro for the OEM rear shock.

The spring is progressive wound and has a rate range of 138 - 211 N/mm.

Offhand I do not know what the OEM rate is but I can find out on Monday and compare it to let you know.

If you order it Monday we have it here by Wednesday to ship to you.

The part is: SP-TR12-SSB003

$139.00

The spring is Purple in color = the Purple Perfection. Black is optional at +$10.00"
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The HyperPro springs are all progressive. So what he's saying there is that the first coil is rated at 138 N/mm and the final coil is rated at 211 N/mm. This gives you a softer ride in the first half of the shock's stroke and a harder ride in the bottom half of the stroke. The idea being that the 211n/mm will be heavy enough to prevent the shock from completely bottoming out while still being compliant and rideable on smooth surfaces. I'm guessing that the stock spring is actually softer than 138. Be interesting to see the comparison.
    Bobmws likes this.
  14. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lesson - as always. Klaus plans to get back with me early next week with the rating of the stock spring as a comparison. I'm anxious to see how it compares, and just want to make 100% sure I avoid ordering a new spring and don't get it stiff enough.

I got my Molex pins for the heated grips today and they look correct:

20201107_175017.jpg 20201107_175023.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  15. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    With a dual wound spring (which seems to be what is being described), both halves are the soft setting. When the closer together coils become coil bound, only the remaining coils can move and so you have your harder setting.

If you have a dual wound spring on the bench, try this:
    Measure the gap between the coils in both halves of the spring, close the spring up without closing up the closer spaced coils completely, measure the gaps again. Both sets will close up, and the amount of compression for each loop will be close to the same across the whole spring.

A truly progressive spring will vary the pitch of the coils along the whole length.
    davebig likes this.
  16. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
  17. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Duh !!!! :hmmmmm:hmmmmm:fpalm:fpalm Did you weigh the rigs drive tire with sidecar hooked up and then the entire rig ? Then give those figures to Klaus and as for a recommendation ?
    That is the easiest and best way to get an appropriate spring.
    Why would you look at springs for stock replacement ? If whatever spring you have sags more than 30% with the sidecar attached you don't have enough spring.
  18. chefchil

chefchil Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about davebig. What he lacks in bedside manner, he typically makes up for in technical aptitude.
    Bobmws, davebig and propforward like this.
  20. chefchil

chefchil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries pal. Zero. Hope you get it figured out to your liking