Triumph Explorer / DMC M72DX Sidecar Rig - I found my dream rig, now please help me get it together!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by TripleDaddy, Sep 13, 2020.

1. chefchil

chefchil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was actually a joke the old timers used to say when I was a pipe fitters apprentice rigging/hanging pipe in the bull gang on the South Texas Project many years ago. The joke was, “You only need to know two things to be a plumber: Shit rolls downhill and payday’s on Friday.”
    Who knows, maybe I just blew $1300.00 on a Penske shock. Still not as much as I’ve blown in Vegas in an hour with nothing to show for it but a few sips left of a shitty watered-down “free” drink. If it doesn’t work out, maybe I can sell the shock for half what I paid, or less. Haha, life goes on, boys, just keeps on rolling. There will be some other shiny object come along to blow some money on later. Always is. Anyway, I won’t be posting a bunch of crap back and forth on here. I used the “Ignore” button. Ignorance is bliss. There’s plenty things I’d rather do. Like going for a ride. The point was, just don’t fuck with people because they don’t know as much as you do. Show a little class and a little respect and it’ll come back on you.
    Bobmws and Prmurat like this.
  2. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    You know that feeling when you're having a friendly get together with a few friends and somebody shows up with a bottle of tequila?

This is that feeling.

My original hope for this thread would serve as a "how to" reference for others, and actually encourage others to experiment and get into sidecars. My fear is that as we squabble over technical details, or poo poo anything but our perceived notion of perfection-at-any-cost, that we may turn away the next generation of sidecar enthusiasts who are just trying to get their start.

My fear is that sidecars get even less accessible to the average person, and as the existing owners get older and older, that the few remaining sidecar manufacturers may go out of business as their owners age-out of the workforce. In several cases, we could be literally 1 medical emergency away from a company going out of business...

Without an influx of younger buyers and some new blood at the manufacturer level (Jay and Claude can't do this forever...), our hobby is in for a bumpy ride in the future. I'm hoping we can focus our comments on constructive criticism (emphasis on constructive) moving forward.

I found this quote about teaching that struck me as relevant:

‘The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.’ ― William Arthur Ward

Thanks to folks like Ned, Lance, Claude, and Jay that have helped inspire me to pursue this hobby. I appreciate it.
    TMac99, Ajacks, Scooter007 and 10 others like this.
  3. chefchil

chefchil Adventurer

Oddometer:

First, sorry for screwing up your build thread. Second, what you’re saying here makes a lot of sense. I hope you get it set up like you want it.
    DRONE likes this.
  4. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Thank you for understanding. I don't have $1300 for a new shock, but I anxiously await your report to hear how it works for you.
  5. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    A few comments on shocks in general and maybe morso on coil over shocks..... The 'perfect shock' does not exist as there are too many variables involved in day to day riding on and off road. A shock with good adjustability is a plus as well as one that you can easily change a spring on. However with the dual spring rate type designs this is not as big of a factor. What may be 'perfect' on one type or terrain will not be on another. Common sense really. Also...what is great for a solo bike is not the best for a dual track vehicle like a sidecar rig. We are all dealing with the challenge of compromise related to so many factors. Back in our racing days this was also true moreso on dirt than pavement. Klaus has done a good job working toward the goal of perfection and has acquired a good rep for it. Ted Porter has a great rep in the solo bike world and has done well getting into the sidecar fraturnity which is a different world. Strong Bad is one here that I have no doubt in saying understands the challenges of shocks due to his baja type background. ...... There is no magic dust in all this as what seems good to one may not to another and much depends on the type of riding they do on the rig they have and their riding style . Mitch Smith was one of the greatist sprint car drivers ever to strap himself into one of those things but was kinda hard to work with by some. Why? He would come in after hot laps and when the guys would ask what does the car need he many times would just say ... ' no worries the driver will compensate' before heading off to get a hot dog. He won a lot of races in various cars. Does this apply here ? Only to a point of course. Splitting hairs is fine but sometimes a haircut does good too. LOL....Can't beleive I wrote this .
    Ajacks, fpalbrecht, MGV8 and 4 others like this.
  6. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    As always, well said Claude.

An example along the lines of what works for one doesn't work for others:

Robby Gordon designs and builds his own shocks for his many of his vehicles. He is wicked fast in Baja and if he doesn't break something he will win. On the longer races like the Baja 1000 that run to La Paz or Cabo San Lucas he will enlist the help of a second driver which is usually an up and coming young gun. Robby's suspension set up is so unique to his driving style that almost off of his relief drivers find his truck all but impossible to drive at close to speeds they could maintain in a more standard set up.

Ride along with Robby in the Baja 500. His speed is shown in the lower right

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

This just in from our sources: Pictures have been found of @davebig in his formative years developing his personal style of stirring the pot!

PotStir.jpg

Notice how he was already experimenting with the differences between wooden spoons and metal spatulas. He may come across as grumpy but he does have boat loads more experience on a huge variety of sidecar subjects than most here.

Love you Dave, hugs and kisses from sunny Southern California where we will be suffering in a blazing 84 degrees today.
    MGV8, Bobmws, davebig and 1 other person like this.
  8. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that everything can be made smaller and lighter ( think ABS, electronic everything) maybe “someone” will re-discover the hydro pneumatic suspension as invented by Citroen in the late 40’ and still in use today? I remember of an experiment in the 70’ on an H2 Kawasaki but it was heavy and clumsy. Please spare me the usual mechanic (out of leaf spring and rigid axle school) remark “too complicated “. Would not be uglier than today’s BMW suspensions...
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    The Citroens with the air suspension had a buttery smooth ride, that's for sure!

In the early 70's many dirt bike guys experimented with removing the springs from their front forks, put schrader valves in the caps, and used air pressure to replace the mechanical springs. The biggest problem with pneumatic shocks is overcoming stiction. The second biggest problem was seal failure, which if it occurs while riding, caused the forks to completely collapse. I had done the mod to my 1972 125cc Penton and had the seal failure issue in the middle of a MX race.

Complicated? How about a state of the art by-pass off road racing shock?

Fox bypass shock.jpg

Infinitely adjustable compression and rebound damping through various ranges of the travel.
  10. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

davebig and Strong Bad like this.
  11. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    dunno about the shocks but me thinks that ain’t no boxer motor.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    It's a Joe Gibbs Nascar motor. You can't tell from the inside the vehicle in that vid but Robby likes an 8 into 1 collector on his headers and it sounds really angry. This vid is from qualifying at the Baja 500.

The young guy in the vid who says "Welcome to San Felipe" is Robby kid, Max. Max has already started racing and how bad ass is it to have Robby Gordon as your Co-dawg?

High Octane and Bobmws like this.
  13. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Strong Bad,,,,, did you all ever work with 180 degree headers ? What a sound they made LOL.
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I've not built any, but I am familiar with the concept that yields more low end and mid range from a "balanced" scavenge.
    brstar likes this.
  15. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    This is a great post and much needed. Hats off to you Tripledaddy. From the eyes of someone just getting into sidecar reading some posts must be frustrating or discouraging. There are basics that are good and should be understood to get going and that is good enough for most in reality. To go on and on slpitting hairs on some details that many times are not comparing apples to apples anyhow is a mean to give the wrong message to one getting into the sidecar world. Volumes get written and debated at times regarding some things that are not deal breakers and many discussions are comparing apples to oranges anyhow. Splitting hairs on some subjects leads to even more discussion and even though interesting is not a life and death , go or blow, necessity for most of the masses. Safety is paramount of course as is a decent handling rig so if we take these as goals to project our thoughts that is a good thing. Many, sadly, have backed away from the forum over the years ( sadly) due to these types of things. ........ Sidecars can be simple or complicated and still provide many miles of smiles to the owners and riders of them. Some folks are mechanical and thrive on details that may or may not be valid across the board. Basics are basics and staying basic is not a bad thing. Safety is number one as is decent drivability and if these two things make a person happy while increasing their personal skill envelope the battle has been won for them.
    MGV8, TMac99, Scooter007 and 7 others like this.
  16. chefchil

chefchil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on. I can honestly say there are folks that don’t want to post questions on This Forum and others because they just don’t want to deal with the minefield of smart-ass comments and ridicule that usually come from the same 2-3 posters that feel the need to comment on every single question that comes down the pike. In other words, it’s just not worth the hassle. The “Ignore” button everyone has in their profile can be a big help. You just stop seeing their posts; which can be good (less hassle), but also bad (less knowledge). I personally want my rigs (this is my third) to roll as safely as possible with wife, or grandkids, or loaded up for cross country adventure etc. If it costs me another $1000, I’ll spend it in a millisecond. Not because I am rich, (that’s a fucking laugh), it’s because some things aren’t worth scrimping on. Just my personal opinion. But hey, don’t listen to me. Sometimes it’s better to do shit the hard way, because those memories don’t fade.
    MGV8, TMac99, Prmurat and 1 other person like this.
  17. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chef, my wife kinda said the same thing when I mentioned wanting a SCHUBERTH. She asked how much is my head worth. Granted a substantial discount helped a lot. It is the most comfy helmet I have ever worn. Supposed to be as safe as can be also.

Now back to sidecars. Good luck with build and can’t wait to see some progress and completion pictures. I am definitely a picture guy.
    chefchil likes this.
  18. BWeber

BWeber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once in a while I post something or ask a question on this form.
    Usually regret it.
    MGV8, chefchil and Ajacks like this.
  19. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stick with posting pictures then.
    Less chance of upsetting the stirrers.
    chefchil, Bobmws and High Octane like this.
  20. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Speaking of shocks......:hmmmmm
    [​IMG]
    Hookalatch, High Octane and davebig like this.