Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by r'elise me, Sep 11, 2019.

1. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think we need to start a thread for the Triumph Scrambler XE (and XC for that matter). I test rode one last weekend and was pretty impressed - but I only did a few road miles. I"m interested to hear what current owners have to say about it's road and off road character. I met Kevin? from the Chop Shop with an XE at the Rockstore last weekend and he's a real good offroader I've heard (from others and more modestly from himself). He loves his XE and claims it rides like a big dirt bike. He was a little disappointed in the suspension which he claimed his rebuilder could not revalve (not sure why - something about the OEM spec), but one person on Triumphrat claims to have revalved and resprung the shock successfully. Apparently the fork is good as is for "standard" weight riders.

My road test ride told me several things:
    1. I love the motor, trans, brakes and suspension on road. Could ride forever with clean air. I hate windscreens. They never work and always cause throbbing.

2. it's a bit top heavy with the 10" travel and high metal tank. XC is probably better and has ride height similar to all the other adv bikes. XE compares with the KTM 690 with 250mm (10") travel and I can tell you that the KTM 690 does not resist turns (but it's over 100 lbs lighter).

3. the 21" tire while ideal for dirt, definitely slows down the steering and the head angle may be a bit slack to make matters worse. It's not horrible or unexpected, but it aint no 1190 Adv R.

4. THe bike says what I want a traveling bike to say ('motorcycle")- which is not what any other adv bike says ("alien invader"). The old school aesthetic is much more endearing and approachable to common folk in little villages of wherever and IMO, that's kinda important.

5. It has a ton less than any other new adv bike of my least favorite material: plastic. See #4

6. It has all the electronic bells and whistles that I could ever ask for without a huge screen.

7. WHY did this have to have high pipes?! Ugh - Besides slow terrain heat issues and the potential burning in a tip over, it's hard to get a right rear pannier setup within a reasonable distance of the bike (in fact there is not right side rack on the market currently - but that should change soon I was told). If I get one, I think I'll make a custom "flat" muffler.

8. Too much front brake for dirt use (dual disc M50 Brembos!) - stronger than a Thruxton R! You can, however, adjust the brake level to reduce brake pressure.

9. Do not like gold forks or anything gold except wheels for that matter. JMO, but it really takes away from the bike's humble appeal and it looks blingy.

10. Do not love the XE's two color schemes that much - prefer the XC's (easy fix - swap tanks or repaint)

11. MY weight investigations conclude that this moto is actually ligher than the 1090 and 1190 advR, The 12GS, Tigers, Africa Twin and ALL other big bore adv bikes. It's only 35 lbs more than a Ducati DS and KTM 790 wet, and with the 21" front wheel, it's really more in the 790 catagory than most big adv bikes with 19" wheels. It's more dirt savvy than most big adv bikes except maybe the KTM's. In fact, from what I can tell, the only true competitor is the no endangered BMW HP2 which is only 385 lbs dry.

Eager to hear about the experience from those that have travelled both dirt and hwy!
  2. Victorious

Victorious Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha! Makes sense that it’s in the Tiger forum. I’ll move my post there. Thanks.