Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stepped up to the 140 from a 130 earlier this summer. 80on/20off, country road commuter.
    Got ~4900mi out of the 130. Bigger issue was how squared off it got after a few higher mileage highway trips.
    I'll check my odo on the 140 when I get home, but that solid center seems to have made a huge difference in highway wear.
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  2. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, only 5k on a K60, that's kind of shocking. Was it down to the wear marks or was it just bc of the square profile? Looking forward to hearing about the 140. I'm killing tires at a rate that I may be forced to put ME 880s on this thing during the summer...
  3. Nerfin

Nerfin An Adventure thats Knarly

Oddometer:
    I Replaced my stock Scram tires with Hiedenau K60 Scout tires (Front 100-19-TL 57 H, Rear 130-80-17TL) early this year. I currently have about 5700 Km (approx. 3500 miles), and maybe 60% tread remaining on the rear and at least 80% on the front. I ride about 60/40 pavement/gravel (dirt roads) with the rear pressure at 34 psi and front at 32 Psi. I'm not a fair weather rider, and the tires have held up fine in cold (-5 C snow patches), and wet pavement, and some mud. Overall I am really impressed with the traction and control of this tire, as well as the longevity. I should easily get double the mileage I have already.

I am also impressed with how safe the tires are. On a ride recently, I picked up a nail in the rear tire, and going about 80 Km/hr (50 MPH) the tube shredded and blew out. The back tire squirmed a lot (like riding on mud) but didn't cause me to crash. It took some patience and effort to fix the tire myself (breaking the bead with three tire spoons is not fun!!) but after all was said and done I was able to ride again after replacing the tube. It's a stiff sidewall on this tires for sure.

As always Your Mileage May Vary!

Cheers.
  4. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    Big thanks for getting back with me! I will likely be spooning these on solo, I imagine it's gonna be a bear, but worth it.
  5. Nerfin

Nerfin An Adventure thats Knarly

Oddometer:
    No problem TriumphRTO, You are welcome. The only advice I can give is to use some type of lube (dish soap worked for me with a bit of water), and take your time spooning them on. When I got the flat I struggled more with breaking the bead and had to work hard at a section of tire with three tire spoons until it finally slipped off the bead. I repeated same procedure on the other side. If you get a flat keep working at it, and be patient. I have to say I'm not proficient at changing tires or dealing with a flat so it was a learning curve for me but I know I can do it now.

Cheers!
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  6. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was pretty close to the wear marks in the center when I swapped, but plenty of meat on the edges.

Outdoors pic is the 130 at around 4500mi
    Garage pic is the 140 at 3200mi

YMMV and all that.

Attached Files:

TriumphRTO likes this.
  7. JAWS134

JAWS134 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I change a lot of tires on mine and my sons KTM 500 EXCs (DOT Knobbies) very strong side walls. I recently bought one of these:

Baja Tools
    http://www.bajanopinch.com/

Well worth the investment. No more fighting the tire when putting it on.

I will be using it to change my scram tires when the wear out.
    gc8andy, Nerfin and TriumphRTO like this.
  8. PTVi

PTVi n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have all of the real tech. specs?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  9. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    I was gonna try a 140 rear but don't look like it will clear the centerstand. I always save motel shampoo bottles and throw in tankbag in case of flat. Mix with a little water for beadbreaking in the field.
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  10. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    Agreed, good tips here. I re-installed the Shinko 705 on my bike solo by hand. A little dish soap goes a long way, and agreed, breaking the bead is a bear. I actually spooned a Conti TA2 on my cousin's Scram a few days ago as well, same story, breaking the bead and trying not to "bite" a tube with an iron is the hardest part... patience is key!

Squared off, as advertised; my buddy with the 990ADV has the same issue, but he's still getting great life out of the tires. Good intel here! I'll probably invest in the 140, seems like a slam dunk from what I see. Did you get a larger tube for the 140?

Good stuff here too. I've been debating if I could fashion a similar tool at the house. With a good amount of soap the job isn't too hateful, if I could just "spin" the irons around the rim instead of taking bites. If I come up with something homegrown I'll take a video and post it. I've debated having a tool 3D printed locally.

That's a damn good idea!

At any rate, thanks for the great feedback guys! I think the K60 140 on the rear looks like a no-brainer; now to select a suitable stand-in for the front for the winter. Leaning towards a Shinko 705 or 805 (rumor is 805 has a bit more life than the TKC80); I'm a bit hesitant to run the K60 up front based on the "slip factor" folks have mentioned about rain and cold weather, I definitely want the front end to STICK.
  11. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    Zknezo, did you upsize the tube for the 140?
  12. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had it swapped at the local shop, so I'm not positive. Got charged for a new tube. :dunno
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine

Oddometer:
    My mates Scrambler getting dusty
    IMG_20161104_092630.jpg
  14. Extreme scrambler

Extreme scrambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Bigboy Pie eater

Bigboy Pie eater Not so fast there you young fellas.

Oddometer:
    Hunter Valley. NSW. Australia 'Down under'.
    P1010310.JPG

The new Triumph at home.
    Charleetho, xaman, Bugchewer and 3 others like this.
  16. Magicsquirrel

Magicsquirrel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that looks great. What suspension you have on it?
  17. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo SONS OF ARTHRITIS - IBUPROFEN CHAPTER

Oddometer:
    Needs dirt.
  18. Extreme scrambler

Extreme scrambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WP and Hyperpro
  19. ColoradoKevin

ColoradoKevin Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I’m the owner of a 2008 Scrambler, purchased in 2010. To make a (very) long story short, right after I purchased it the rear wheel locked up while I was riding it (around 4K miles). The diagnosis was the lower drive-shaft bearings needed to be replaced. It was a frustrating process, and my bike was out of service for a couple of months while the dealer waited for parts to come in. Triumph covered the parts and labor under warranty, but I had to be a squeaky wheel to get that to happen.

Now the bike has about 34K miles on it, and is exhibiting symptoms similar to the first incident. My local Triumph dealer tells me they think the same bearings need to be replaced. It’s making a loud ticking/ tapping noise. I just threw $500 at a valve adjustment, so that’s not the problem. They’re estimating around 15 hours of labor/ $1,500 to diagnose/ fix the problem. Triumph North America has refused to help with any of this. No question that I'm past the factory warranty, but it’s still disappointing. From my perspective, there seems to be some kind of quality control problem with this particular motor.

So, I’m trying to decide what to do next…

- Pay to put a third set of bearings in the bottom end. This seems like a terrible idea.

- Call my insurance agent and see if he'll total the bike.

- Post an ad on Craigslist, disclose all the problems, and take my beating.

- Find a donor engine and do a swap.

I’m bummed. I love the Scrambler, and was starting to look at adding a Tiger to the mix. Part of me wants to fix it since it’s a bike I thought I would keep forever. It’s such a blast to ride. The other part of me says, buy the new Africa Twin and don’t look back…

What would you do if this was your bike? Any idea where I can find a donor engine? Is that a bad idea too?

Between the safety issue and the possibility of the engine seizing, my dealer refuses to test-ride the bike. Could the problem be something else? Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Denver area who might be cheaper than my "authorized Triumph service center"?

Thanks
  20. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    This is probably the first time I've heard a story like this about the 865 twin. Did you buy it "new" from a Dealer or used with a few miles on it? Do you trust the shop you took it to back at 4k miles? I've heard of issues with rear brakes, but I assume that's not possible? Can you describe the "noise" the bike is making? Also, have you posted anything about this on TriumphRAT.net? Forchetto over there seems to know everything about these bikes.