1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. plodalong

plodalong Now if we just.....

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out the TEC baffles. https://www.tecbikeparts.com/produc...-models/scrambler-900/exhausts-scrambler-900/ They sell baffles and cutdown baffles for their exhausts (arrow copies). Dia is 49mm which may be slightly loose but a bit of exhaust assembly paste would sort that out.
  2. skimch

skimch Oh feck all Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoot, they are hella loose in their pipes. I've tried everything to keep it from rattling. I ended up just taken it out.
  3. plodalong

plodalong Now if we just.....

Oddometer:
    Heard that but both the origional and the larger bore baffle I got recently fit fine in my tracker exhaust. luck of the draw I guess.

I've used this assembly paste in the past and it may cure the rattling baffle. You put it on while assembling exhausts and mufflers and it sets. When the exhaust gets hot it expands and sets hard making for a leak proof seal. Need to be careful with it though as it's a pain to clean off if it gets where you don't want.

001.JPG
    skimch likes this.
  4. googlemeier

googlemeier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, hope you can help me with a special question.
    I'm going to sell my Scrambler 08 EFI, fitted with a ZARD exhaust. As I understand, it needs a special mapping software, which unfortunately doesn't match German emission regulations.
    Now, with the standard vanilla programming for the stock exhaust, so the dealer told me, the engine on one hand would meet emission regulations, but on the other hand would soon overheat.
    Would you agree?
  5. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would run lean, yes, which means it would run hot.
    googlemeier likes this.
  6. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is is required to meet 2008 or 2020 emissions requirements?
  7. googlemeier

googlemeier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The newest (2020), I suppose... the German biannual technical inspections are thorough.
  8. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it was mine, I would spend a little time to answer that question. I suspect that requirement are stiffer now than twelve years ago. Do you know what map was flashed onto the ECU? Any other hardware changes (such as AI delete)? If you're passing the biannuals, why wouldn't you be able to sell as is?
  9. googlemeier

googlemeier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what map was flashed onto the ECU?
    The original one, I think.

Any other hardware changes (such as AI delete)?
    Not that I know of.

If you're passing the biannuals, why wouldn't you be able to sell as is?
    I'm in a tight corner here.
    After passing the test, I would certainly be able to sell, but the new owner has to look for a Triumph dealer, who basically cheats the officials by uploading the orig. software and after the test reloading the illegal ZARD ECU. Or stop every 10 km to let the engine cool down.
    And since the Triumph dealer closed, we don't have another one in the area here, so this is kind of a disadvantage.
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    VW of America got into huge trouble in the USA doing this with their diesel engines.
  11. googlemeier

googlemeier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More or less a similar case here... both, omitting emissions and increase in fuel consumation.
    But you don't have to fit the bike with a ZARD exhaust, though.
  12. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm a little slow with what you're trying to explain to me googlemeier. Anyways, when I put the Arrow exhaust on I don't remember a reflash being required, however the TTP remap I put on has been satisfactory. While I wouldn't choose to run a couple hundred miles with a mismatched tune/exhaust, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with the emissions stuff first with them mismatched. I don't think 10 miles will be a problem. YMMV. I did the remap myself, initially with the exhaust and again when the dealer reflashed it back to stock at 12,000 miles. Do you have the ability/desire to remap it yourself?

Another option would be to sell it as is, with full disclosure to the buyer of the potential emissions complication.
  13. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rosie is in the midst of some major upgrades. I've installed 385mm shocks and the +30mm travel extenders in the front forks. I'll post details as soon as I get everything sorted.

In the meantime, Can folks tell me what they've done to extend kick-stands and whatnot? I am debating bolting a 1" block of steel to the bottom of this kickstand. It will stand up just fine even sitting 1" taller, BUT I would like to reduce the lean a little (and get it closer to stock).
  14. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking the stock kickstand spring might be too weak to support the additional weight of that much steel.
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  15. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I debated 3D printing a part but also concerned it may not last. Perhaps I should carve a solution from Delrin.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  16. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it was my ride..
    I don't think I would be inclined to add a block to the bottom.
    I would obtain another stock sidestand.
    Work out just how much longer it needs to be.
    As I am a crap welder I would hand it to a mate who is an engineer and ask him to cut and weld a extension to the shaft, ensuring the cut is below the sidestand spring mount.
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC00336.JPG DSC00339.JPG DSC00338.JPG DSC00337.JPG

I took these pics on the 4th of July, 2013. I had just moved and couldn't find the cables to hook to my digital computer. Packing up our house to move again, I found the cable from the last move and found these pictures from out around Leakey, TX. My Scrambler's looking pretty rough now, not so nice and shiny any more.
  18. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
  19. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a bit of a whim at the end of last week I picked up a day pass for Yosemite since Tioga road was suppose to be opening today. After booking, my wife reminded me of my dental appointment mid afternoon. :doh

Well, better get a move on them. I motored up hwy 120 from Sonora to the park, a bit cold but little traffic. Construction is still going on, but at 0600, I only lost a couple minutes to traffic control. The gal at the park gate we pleasant, and getting in with the pass was easy. I stopped at one of the major Yosemite falls viewing areas as you head in valley for a morning snack and enjoyed the view. There was parking everywhere! I'll probably never again see it that empty. I wish I had all day, but I didn't so time to keep moving.

View attachment 2370024

IMG_3557.jpeg

The triumph, as we all know, doesn't have the longest legs when it comes to gas. And I don't carry any extra. But, there happens to be gas at the turn off to Tuolumne Meadows so I top off. I continue on up into the high country resisting the urge to stop at all the good vista points. You can't resist Olmstead point though, with its different view of the iconic Half Dome. Some more easy parking, jaw jacked a little with an older couple for a few minutes before the mosquitoes found me.

IMG_3563.jpeg IMG_3566.jpeg

Last photo op before deciding I really did need to keep moving. And I saw the van that I had be stuck behind coming up Tioga road and I didn't want to do that again.

IMG_3568.jpeg
    A beautiful ride up to Tioga Pass and out of the park. There was an impressive line up for people coming in, 75+ cars easy. I had to wait less than a minute for the 1 car in front of me earlier that morning. Back down to hwy 395, head north, top off the tank and head up Sonora Pass. Climbed to the summit without catching a single car. And then back down to home. Had a big duromax what ever truck try and beat me off the line to the end of the short passing lane. The triumph may not be the fastest thing in town, but come on, lets not be silly...

Anyways, a great use of a morning and few bucks in gas.
  20. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For some reason the first photo refuses to display. Here it is again so you don't have to click on anything. IMG_3560.jpeg