1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. TwoWheeledTerp

TwoWheeledTerp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Scrambler, 250.

I recently picked up this project of the same vintage here on ADVR and finished about 600 miles ago:

IMG_7646 (1).jpg

I've owned a few air cooled Triumph twins and this is my favorite thus far. That being said, not sure how long she'll remain in the stable with other incoming projects and a wife that now wants to ride again...
    rixcafe, TriumphRTO and George Hanson like this.
  2. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's that bag where the sidecover used to be and how is it attached? Fusebox not in the way?
    DRZ RIDER likes this.
  3. TwoWheeledTerp

Oddometer:
    Popular question...

I used a Motone battery box (newer version) that has the fuse box basically inset (that's obviously a stock photo on a Bonneville):

motone-airbox-delete.jpg

Leather bag is made to order outside of Richmond, VA: https://badgcustoms.com/bags/triumph Attaches under the seat and at the bottom of the bag to the frame.
    George Hanson and TriumphRTO like this.
  4. George Hanson

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm guessing you need to eliminate the airbox in order for this setup to work?
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  5. TwoWheeledTerp

Oddometer:
    While that is how mine is setup, no, you can run the side bag by just removing that side panel. They also have a setup for bags on both sides.
  6. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, so I've been slowly reading through this thread starting from most recent and working my way backwards for a while, I did about 250 pages before I gave in and became a member. I've already learnt loads about my bike I didn't know so thanks everyone! Anyway I've owned a 2010 efi scrambler for about 9 months now, today it just sailed through its mot test. When I got it, it was completely standard but of course these bikes were made to be customised in my eyes haha, so here's my baby! I'll be upgrading the suspension next and I've just brought a solo seat with rack, handguards, a dart screen and some tiger pegs for when I go on camping trips IMG_20200617_180554.jpg IMG_20200617_181140.jpg
  8. George Hanson

Oddometer:
    Nice. Which bars are those?
  9. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure of the name, I got them from a bike show and they were the last on display of the weekend so I got a nice discount. I just describe them a vintage style motocross bars if that helps with searching
    George Hanson likes this.
  10. George Hanson

Oddometer:
    Dime City Cycles, by any chance?
  11. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know, to be honest Ive not seen any dime city stuff over here in the UK not sure if we get it here
  12. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what front tyre this is? Triumph-Scrambler-Citico-Road-MotoADVR.jpg
    Also, if I replace the front springs with a set of progressive springs (I've got my eye on some from tec bike parts for only £60 with good reviews) , can I still do the black tiger fork mod with effect or should I just use their recommended oil levels?
    TIA
    Boxerknock72 and rixcafe like this.
  13. trumpycam

trumpycam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problems had same set up for years and worked well. Have upgraded again since to set up for extended trip.
  14. trumpycam

trumpycam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TriumphRTO, Last year we did a 7 month trip around Europe from Australia and was worried about the bike lean with so much luggage(when I weighed our overall weight we were 30kg over Triumph's limit, don't ask why!) my bike is actually a T100 converted to a scrambler suspension stands etc. Had thought about problem before and had a 20mm block screwed to bottom of stand which worked OK, but for this trip was not enough, then noticed side stand was basically straight so took some measurements and worked out a 100mm extension would possibly work. So went ahead and had it done with a 10mm alloy pad at the bottom screwed on so can remove if too much. Being a bit of a Homer J did not think ahead about weight till I picked it up. Left it up to engineering shop to work out best place to cut and weld. Anyhow it worked out exactly how I wanted it, making bike more stable and easier to stand up despite weight. Spring was OK but bought a new one to fit when we arrived in UK just to make it feel more secure. Only problem is I also have a centre stand, and as it now goes past it, have to put down side stand first before can use centre stand. Can post some photos if interested.
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  15. Tomocan

Tomocan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-adventure/

TriumphRTO and Dannylilwall like this.
  16. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the Motoz Tractionator Adventure; 110/80-19. Best bite I've ever had offroad. Matching with the 130/80-17 rear the bike handles like trash on the asphalt, but it's amazing with lower pressure off-road.

I probably won't do that combo again, but it was a good test.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must be getting old. Having had a Ural in the past and missing the sidecar while hating that bike, I've been seriously considering putting a sidecar on my Scrambler. My wife says if we can sell our house and downsize, which we're currently trying to do, I can spend some money and hang a sidecar on my Scrambler. So, preparing for that eventuality, I put my stock exhaust back on the Scrambler because it's going to be waaaaaay too loud with the VW Beetile tips I had on there. After putting the stock exhaust back on, which had just been sitting in a corner in my garage, I went for a 60 mile ride. I have to admit, I really like the quieter experience. I don't feel like I'm missing any power, if there was any difference, it's negligible. The extra weight of the stock exhaust doesn't matter to me. I don't plan to do any more off-roading or dirt riding with my Scrambler. I put those VW tips on at the same time I replaced the air box with pod filters and re-jetted and removed the air intake. So all that gave the bike a boost in power. I'm guessing the power increase was from the air box elimination and not the exhaust. As a matter of fact, I feel like the stock exhaust seems to give a bit more on the lower end than with what amounts to almost straight pipes. It was nice to hear the air intake and the growl of the motor and not just the blast of exhaust. I like it. I must be getting old. But that beats the alternative.
    DRZ RIDER, Fire Escape and Scooter007 like this.
  18. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :pynd
  19. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    Received and installed the Joker narrow serrated pegs on my '08 Scrambler with DMC sidecar:

scrambler-footpegs.jpg

Each one is 4.9 oz lighter than the stock pegs. If I find another twenty or thirty of those types of weight savings I'll make up for the coronavirus lockdown weight gained. :lol3
    CCBonnie, DoubleCafe and jwaller like this.
  20. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm currently running k60 scouts, 150 rears and 110 on the front. Next time I think I'm gonna stick with the k60 rear and go for a tkc80 on the front. Apparently it's a common combo on the tigers.?