1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I am the proud owner of a new 2019 Street Scrambler, 92 miles on it so far. Today, I took on a short gravel road with potholes, and stood up for a bit for the first time. I noticed the exhaust really gets in the way while standing, to the point of maybe finding a way to extend the right footpeg. I was just wondering if there's a consensus on aftermarket pipes, if any of them are tighter to the side of the bike than the stock one. Thanks for any help.
    Dannylilwall likes this.
  2. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What's the verdict on the new suspension? Does it soak up bumps on the highway? Is it not as harsh to ride off road? Stock suspension is like riding a hard tail chopper, I'm looking at doing some suspension mods myself

Also to respond to some other posts, on my '14 yes the exhaust gets in the way when standing and riding off road, just pay attention to make sure your boot and pants don't burn, like don't hold them against the exhaust for like 15-20 min at a time, let em cool off for a sec every now and then by shifting your position on the peg. It's my opinion that the side exhaust is for style, not function, if you really want to do serious off roading they make pipes that sit lower or hug the side of the bike tighter, although I don't care much for their looks. Zard and Tec come to mind. I think Arrow protrudes just as much as stock.

When modding the exhaust if you've got an efi model then you have some leeway. I think the VW pea shooter exhaust still creates enough back pressure that your oxygen sensors can read and tell the ecu to add fuel to compensate and not necessarily need a remap. If you go with open pipes or a very unrestricted exhaust you'll want to remap it. I absolutely love the way my vw exhaust sounds on my bike, not too loud, sounds like a gurgling hot rod. If you want to load a tune you can do it yourself, the website is: tuneecu.net. I believe you'll need a cable and an adapter to plug into our bikes, both available on eBay. Then you can switch your tunes from stock to proper and vice versa at will.
  3. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Oh I forgot to add, if anyone wants to trade tins I have a silver/red set in great condition I'd like to trade for green. Or sell so I can buy a green set

Attached Files:

4. ScottNJ

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I might look into the Zard. I watched the whole Tec install video, and ended up not liking the sound, even though the compactness was good. Any thoughts on the Triumph endorsed Vance and Hines system?
  5. scrammyryder

scrammyryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Is yours a efi? I have a matte khaki green 2012 Scrambler, efi. Would be interesting to change things up, on both our sides...I do also have the
    OEM rear fender that I removed. IMG_20190323_173100.jpg
    LordMorgan likes this.
  6. TriumphRTO

TriumphRTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added 30mm+ spacers from Free Spirit Parts, plus Ohlins preload adjusters, and ohlins springs to the front plus ohlins rear shocks. The front forks are a dream, the rear shocks are a little oversprung (rider weight is too heavy I suspect). I need to test a bit further, I want to put some knobbies back on and hit some trails before final verdict, but thus far I'm VERY happy with setup. It's about perfect on asphalt, just need to make sure rear shocks are acceptable off-road. Gravel has been good thus far.
    Dannylilwall and LordMorgan like this.
  7. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    That a 150 rear?
  8. scrammyryder

scrammyryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes a Shinko 805, 150/70/17
  9. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had experience with Bitubo shocks? I found a pair for a good price, +20 mmlength and travel and best part is fully chrome. And cheaper than ohlins. But does the ride suck?
  10. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Hey perfect, yes mine is a 2014, efi, I see you're in Illinois and I'm in CA though, how should we do this? Shipping cost might be atrocious...

That's encouraging, I'm probably going to copy your setup. Did you go with rear shocks in standard scrambler length or extended? How much travel do they have? Is the bike comfy on the highway or is it still a bumpy ride?
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  11. 250

250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_3618.jpg Took the ol girl out for her 20k mile celebration. She had a couple gallons of fresh petrol, I had a cold coke. :beer
  12. AzulTEX

AzulTEX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @scrammyryder what exhaust system are you running? did you have to modify it to clear the rear brake master cylinder?
  13. ScottNJ

Oddometer:
    "What's the verdict on the new suspension? Does it soak up bumps on the highway? Is it not as harsh to ride off road? Stock suspension is like riding a hard tail chopper, I'm looking at doing some suspension mods myself"

I just purchased a 2019 Street Scrambler and have about 120 miles so far. I can tell you this. The front forks are fine for road riding, but the rear shocks are atrocious. I was appalled at how, even riding over a sunken manhole cover, I would get a shock up my spine. New shocks are number one on my list of changes. I don't really want to lay out for the Fox shocks so I may try Hagons to start off with.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  14. TriumphRTO

Oddometer:
    They're 375~385. I have them extended to 385 to keep the correct rake and ride height (I choked up on the forks about 10mm). The shocks only added like 12~15mm of travel, but it's a massive improvement over the Hagon 2810s.

Overall I'm really happy with the setup. I did some riding on some local single track and logs the other day. It's a lot firmer than my dirt bike or CRF250L, but it still jumps over (small) logs and lands a lot better. I still feel like the rear is oversprung, so I may tune that up later, but I will reserve final judgment for when I get some knobbies on this thing and hit my favorite parts of the bluegrass. The highway is good BTW, per my comments about oversprung, I want to soften the rear just a hair, but it's an easy spring swap.
    George Hanson likes this.
  15. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just fitted the plus 30 free spirits kit too along with 7.5w oil-filled up to 140mm, and the tec progressive springs, also fitted tec rear shocks and raised them 15mm. So far I can't believe the difference for such a relatively small price. I'll be testing them out on some gravel and trails soon so hopefully will be all good. I'm gonna get some pre load adjusters next too.

@TriumphRTO I just noticed your avatar and realised you're the motoadventurer blogger?
    I love that blog dude especially the section about modifying your scram
    LordMorgan likes this.
  16. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem, as a temporary fix I welded an extension onto some dirt bike pegs using another pair af old pegs. It's not the prettiest when you get up close Screenshot_20200811_104215_com.android.gallery3d.jpg .. but it works great until I get some decent pegs and now I'm not burning holes in my waterproofs haha
  17. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post some photos, I'm curious to see how the bike sits. What did you end up doing about the sidestand?
  18. Dannylilwall

Dannylilwall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is mine with the plus 30 kit and rear shocks raised to 380mm.. I extended my centre stand by weldingiin some steel tubing
    IMG_20200808_100844.jpg IMG_20200808_100830.jpg
  19. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that I am getting confused. This WAS the thread for the 'original' (well, since the rebirth) Triumph Scrambler 900. Now it seems to have everything Triumph with 'scrambler somewhere in it's name mashed in together. Aren't the 'Street Scrambler' and such different bikes?

Bruce
    selkirkswamper likes this.
  20. ScottNJ

Oddometer:
    Nice job, that'll do. At least 'til break-in is over, mine's going to be a "road bike." In the meantime I'll check what the options are.
    Dannylilwall likes this.