Triumph Sidecar: What bike would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by TripleDaddy, Sep 25, 2019.

?

Which Triumph would you use for a budget Sidecar rig build?

1. A 2015 or newer 1200 ccExplorer. Has cruise, and DMC hardware is cheaper than the 800 cc Tiger.

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. A 2015 or newer Tiger 800. Has cruise and can easily swap sprockets for gearing.

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. A fuel injected 800 cc Bonneville or Scrambler. Still has more HP than a Ural and is cheap.

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. A newer T120, fuel injected with more HP

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. Something else

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. Stick with the trusty, but slow, Ural

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Make a Beemer rig instead

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the big expedition sidecar will be underpowered with the xc 800 Kips sidecar on the Bonneville is much smaller than a CSM1:fpalm
    JustKip likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    My GF loves her '12 Tiger 800 "Roadie" too. 8 years and over 60k miles...Canada, Mexico, both coasts more than twice...It's a decent solo bike, but wouldn't make a good tug.

Edit: Dave brings a good point about the CSM1 being big for an 800!
  3. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Yes, that too DB. Kips sidecar is really nice. It’s one of the pieces of inspiration for this musing.
  4. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I’m on my third Tiger 800. The first two got written off by a deer and a Buick respectively. The Buick incident is one reason why the third wheel has become important to me.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Claude is still making them!
    propforward likes this.
  6. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Which model is yours Kip? I was thinking that size, not the big expedition. Might have got model numbers mixed up.
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you talk to Claude, it's the "P36", named after the pre-1936 Harley sidecar they look similar to. The newer ones have radiused top corners on the front, where mine are welded at roughly 90*. I really like the bent corners of the newer ones. He had one on a KLR for a while...called her "Miss Piggy".

18765835_10213323698557508_4308366617868031559_n.jpg
    propforward likes this.
  8. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Got nothing against the Tiger or any other Triumph. We have a huge two seater in house now with leading iink etc etc and have done others as well. The one below has a large fuel cell under the body with a skid plate. The body hinges in the front and is lifted by an actuator for access. ..............As far as the 'falling out' that Kip mentioned I am unaware of that. Funny how the net operates . upload_2020-8-2_22-33-10.png
    CCBonnie and propforward like this.
  9. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous rig that is Kip. I love how you’ve set it up. :thumb
  10. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Phenomenal rig that!

Very good - then I’m going to follow up with you and talk about it, and see what shakes out. :thumb.

Lead time is not an issue. I can wait until a delivery of skid plate grease comes in.
  11. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    A P36 ON 'Miss Piggy' the KLR
    piggy just us few.jpg
    JustKip and propforward like this.
  12. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    TRIUMPH WEBER (1)umbrella.jpg
    Jimr80gs and propforward like this.
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not the net. I bought it from the second owner, who heard the story from the original buyer. Apparently, the guy that you originally built it for was having it built for a GS, but then (speculation here) wanted to cut costs(?), and asked about putting it on the much cheaper Tiger. He ended up switching to the even cheaper Bonneville, and reported to the second owner that he was unhappy with the sequence of events. He also originally wanted the aux fuel tank under the tub, and the frame has rails to support one, but with the lower Bonneville, there wasn't enough ground clearance to be advisable.
  14. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    BTW Kip La
    I think we did it on an airhead GS.... Had advised against the wheel desired and hear you had trouble with it ( no more of that for me). Did a fairly involved frame for sidecar ( a one off) and the mix and match boxes for the rear. So it goes. You have a good rig now.
    propforward and JustKip like this.
  15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might be thinking of someone else? It's a simple 4 on 4 trailer hub and wheel, and has been flawless the whole time I've had it. I just wish it had a brake on the chair when riding dirt.
    NOw that it has decent suspension under it, it ROCKS! Glad it found its way to MY house!
    claude stanley likes this.
  16. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    BTW We have a long term build in house now on a Triumph Explorer..... two seater with seat behind a seat. The rear section unbolts to allow a large box to take its place. Luggage racks on nose and above cockpits . Leading link also.
  17. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    It origionally had a wire spoke wheel on the sidecar. Not a BMW wheel.
  18. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Present ? OKAY I amm thinking of another rig. My bad ...duh lol.....Note that this is an early P36 Body the later ones have more rounded corners on the sides of the nose. See KLR Pic.
    kip triumph csm.jpg
    JustKip likes this.
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's it. It does have mix and match boxes though, and I've left the top one off since right after I got it, so it's just like that picture except 1-1/2 inch taller
    claude stanley likes this.
  20. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Yeah I like that P36.

If a KLR can haul it, my Tiger should be fine. But it may need one of those very involved sub frames. I saw one Claude was making - like a whole cradle for the bottom of a bike. Thought it was GS - I’ll have to look for it.
    JustKip and claude stanley like this.