1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Sprint ST modification

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tileman, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all.

The assembly is mostly done so here it is.

In its original form.

[​IMG]

As it was as of yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most parts sourced from a 2011-14 April Tuono.

Why, because I could. Took maybe 3 months of occasional work and the last 2 weeks of more intense work. Oh and a lot of guesses of what could fit, a LOT of guesses.

I like it more now.
    snake89, Foxed101, wombataus and 8 others like this.
  2. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    That transformation is frankly amazing ,wish I had better newer words for this.
  3. dwdantzler

dwdantzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    damn
  4. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    double damn
  5. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Nice work, Tileman!

What's your next project?:D

Dave
  6. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My favourite custom I've done. Made for taking the kids around and fits a large enough esky for a gathering.

[​IMG]

Welded the frame myself and then had it clear powder coated so I can see all the welds and imperfections. It sits on a shelf in the shed kinda on display. Fully functional. This pic is from the nearly finished state. Now has Internally run disc and gear brake lines. Made from Cromoly and stainless tubing and a old frame I found on the road side and its a giggle to ride. Kids on the street love it. Kind of like driving a bus while steering from above the back axle. I've still got a few things to sort with it, love looking at it though.
    FR700 and chris a like this.
  8. Steve_h1963

Steve_h1963 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Initially I thought why is he chopping up such a gorgeous bike... but the end result justifies is. Brilliant transformation.
  9. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your correct, it was a gorgeous bike. I still miss having that bike in my shed, however I'd not enjoy riding it (and I can't afford to have it there just to look at). I will say I can provide a pic where it doesn't have the background etc that is so inviting. I'll try and get back in that area and take a pic of the bike as it is now in the same location and then I'd have a true comparison.
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!!!! Well done sir!
  11. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why did you not enjoy riding the Sprint? And how does putting the Tuono parts on make it better to ride? I have owned both and the ST was by far and away much more comfortable and more manageable on the street than the Tuono. However the power of the Tuono...:tb.
  12. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there are a few reasons why the sprint didn't work for me.

1. The slight lean forward position isn't how I like to ride which may even to something to do with core strength or just how I prefer, not 100% sure. However even the bicycles I have/had have all got or gained flat bars so I think its just how I like it.
    If your follow up question is "why did I buy a sprint at all". Well I was originally looking at a vfr 750 and the Sprint is a newer version/similar bike and the the sprint I bought was such a good price here in OZ I jumped. I didn't really know if the position would annoy me until I'd had the bike for a while and done some long day rides. I'd also considered a speed triple however the prices for them here are in the region of 3 to 4 thou more than the one I bought. Also I knew I was going to modify a speed anyway, the plan with buying a sprint was that I'd be "forced" to leave it alone which I clearly failed at.

2. I have an issue leaving perfectly good moto's alone. I've only had 1 that got left alone and at the time I owned 2 of the same bike. The underseat exhaust annoyed me (the simple fix is pretty simple) however my fix was more complicated, nothing new there.

3. Why the Tuono? The style and flow I really like. I've never even considered one as with their cost here. I think I noticed them when I bought a OEM tuono muffler to adapt to the sprint (to get rid of the underseat exhaust) and the guy I bought it from had a RSV4 which etc etc etc. The Tuono parts don't make it a better "ride", sorry for that confusion, however it makes it a better bike for me.

4. The original plan was to shorten the rear end a bit and mod the exhaust as listed above. However, well it just how I roll, one thing leads to another.

5. On the street one of the things about the Tuono that I understand is an issue is the torque, mapping and aggressive position etc, might be wrong, which isn't an issue here as mine is a sprint mechanically.

6. Also comfort is such a personal thing. 2 people will most likely never agreed on that one in my experience.

In reality I can't justify really why I did it other than to say I did, I like the result, I will enjoy more the riding of it, it suits me, and its a custom which I like and unlike the ones I've done before is a lot more hidden. The power is irrelevant as the triumph has got more than enjoy grunt, the DL 650 I have previously was powerful enough for me.

The Sprint as I had it popped in the light, the lines were really nice etc etc etc. Just my issue really. I can afford to have the pushie pictured above to sit there, I can't afford the sprint.
    kevlar930 and invisa-bill like this.
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also I knew the power, reliability, and known problems and fixes of the triple/sprint were known. Swapping the front end was also known. I've now no need to try and modify as I have bike I like and will keep for a while. It looks how I really like, has the power I need, is reliable, rides great, parts are available, and its a custom so to speak. Even though most people will just walk past when they see a Tuono its cool (for me) as thats illustrates how well done I believe it is. One guy, playing in his shed, making stuff :thumbup
    kevlar930 likes this.
  14. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironically the Venture rack the bike came with will pretty much bolt on with few mods so thats solves luggage. I've included 2 mount holes to make a muffler mount that attaches to the frame just above the right hand foot peg. You can just see them in the second 3rd pic. Once done I can make and left and right mount for the OEM sprint footpads which are quite a bit longer than the Tuono versions so my better half will be a bunch more comfortable.
  15. kevlar930

kevlar930 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you nailed it on the head when you said that looks and comfort is subjective. I'm sorry that the Tuono is so expensive there. I dont think I was as sad about any other bike than I was when I sold the Tuono. But, it was not practical for my riding conditions. I really like the looks of the Sprint with the Tuono parts (outside of the muffler).
  16. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not that sorry. I think the Aprilia Tuono is a bit like drugs, love, hate. Which is what the manufacturer is I think kind of after, although replacing like for like when the drugs wear off!

I thankfully however don't have one of them, I've got a Sprint with flat bars! Just looks different.

The muffler I agree with you, now that I've done the swap. I really like this; http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=179607&d=1326214271

2 things with that. The cost of the muffler here and more importantly the cost of the build wasn't, for no better term, cheap.....hahaha. If someone has a slip on version as pictured above going cheap, let me know! I'll make it fit!

Also with the Akro I believe, could be wrong, that it has details on it re legality. I'd prefer to have that for simple grief value. If the local police pull me over I'd prefer the least amount of questions possible.
  17. Sig Sow-ear

Sig Sow-ear n00b

Oddometer:
    Your bike is bad @$$. I'm so glad to see someone doing a custom on a Sprint st. Ive owned one for 5 years and been wanting to customize it but there are no real examples on the web till now of what can be done.

Do you have any problems with the regulator/rectifier and stator failing? If so how did you fix it?