Triumph Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by tangerine, Dec 7, 2016.

1. tangerine

tangerine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So nobody seems to be excited about this bike. What did Thriumph did wrong about it. Too small, too weak, too female?
  2. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the look but it's too small, no one seems to make this type of bike for tall people, looking forward to sitting on Ducati's Desert Sled.
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
  4. tangerine

Oddometer:
    Ok, you're right, but I think we should have a thread with a proper title ;-)

But it seems, that almost nobody is interested in this bike ...
  5. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I think you'll also find a dead thread in road warrior's...

But yes what have they really changed to make it stand out :ear the opposition has moved forward, triumph has not...as a former scrambler owner i expected more.
  6. tangerine

Oddometer:
    They changed a few things you cannot see: less weight, ABS, better handling, better economics, and so on...

All things better when you use the bike not only for cafe rides or just weekend-trips

But that is nothing thrilling when you just see the bike. Where is the "must have-factor"?

And optically it is more female, the old one more virile.

But therefore the engine will be more thrilling, the old engine was a bit boring. (I testrode both, the new engine in a Street Twin)

Looking forward to testride the new Scrambler, cause it is still in my wishlist for a new bike (with Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled and modern styled Supermotardish Hypermotard)
  7. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Preliminary reports said different frame and suspension too. Interested to see if this fits taller riders better than the Street Twin or at least fits with minor mods like just the T120 pegs.
  8. Skinny06

Skinny06 Skinny

Oddometer:
    Rear subframe has been redesigned to use taller shocks, and it has different model specific suspension all around (from what I've found in articles and talking to a few triumph folks) Also traction control, ABS, and ability to switch that on and off
  9. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Ive read the different suspension quotes as well but looking at the pics im seeing the same crappy forks and no extra travel in the shocks... time will tell but every scram owner changes those bits of rubbish anyway :dunno
    The frame is different (and it needed to be as the old one didnt like being pushed hard).
    HP is unchanged but torque is up slightly from 70 to 80 nm , the 270 always pulled well.
    ABS is mandatory for 2017 in europe so no surprises there, it doesnt have enough power to weight to really worry about switchable traction control...

Then i look across at the Duc desert sled...:drif
  10. Xeroo

Xeroo sweeet!

Oddometer:

Nahh i think it looks soo boring ;)

It doesnt have the Hp
    You cant hooligan a bike you must have HP more HP :y0!
    This is the Street twin but its more or less the same bike

Would i want One...hell yeah :clap
  11. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Everybody was/is expecting long travel. That ain't gonna happen. The new look is good and they advertise more travel. I haven't seen (or looked) for a weight on it yet. Anyone got a published weight?
    There will be mods for more travel (as the current/old Scrambler has now). There will be maps for it (along with pipes). IMO, it needs to be as fast as the Ducati Scrambler to be a worthy new model. I hope they accomplished that. To me, its got looks all over the Duc.
    I don't see anyone being happy here on ADV until is comes to market as the Triumph Africa Twin...

Edit: Great video above ^^^. Don't let lack of hp be your reasoning.
    Go out & ride the wheels off of it. If you can. Because anything else is just an excuse.

Edit again: The Desert Sled looks hot!!! The demand will be much higher for the new Duc Desert Sled than the new Street Scrambler.
    Xeroo likes this.
  12. Skinny06

Skinny06 Skinny

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping this means cheap leftover street scramblers. . .
  13. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too! I had a 2010 that I sold and I wish I had it back.
  14. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    I am pretty happy with my existing Scram. It is modded the way I like it. Is it perfect, no. It is not the most comfortable at the end of a long day but that is more a function of my age and shape at any given time. The new Scram will be "perfect" for the guy or gal that loves riding it. Just because I won't buy it doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't. Buy it and ride it stock or mod it out to your needs which is what we all love doing anyway. Then you can bitch about the next gen Scram that comes along some day. Lol
  15. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    If I did not have my current Scrambler, I would be all over this new Scrambler. Especially if the Duc Desert Sled was not out, lol. That new Duc has good specifications.
    But I think the new Street Scrambler looks like a tough, gritty bike. Hopefully Works Performance will make a 'long travel kit', adding maybe an inch of travel. That would make the Street Scrambler tits IMO.
    I will applaud the first new Street Scrambler owner that comes along. :thumb
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll give you a hint. Triumph call it a Street Scrambler.
    It has the same off road pretentions (almost none) as the BMW RNineT Scrambler variant or the Yamaha SCR.
    Triumph don't expect this thing to be used extensively off road and haven't made the bike with that in mind so if that is what a potential owner wants to do they are looking at the wrong base bike to start with.
    Buy the bike, whizz down to the cafe, ride 200 meters up a gravel road to a lookout, enjoy the lifestyle and have fun but don't name your next born Ewan in honor of the RTW trip you want to embark on riding the Scramber.
    Actionable Mango likes this.
  17. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:

Ya we all know that. But look at the Duc Desert Sled. Its gonna do the same thing, and maybe a little more. Without your spine getting jammed up into your neck every bump.
    I will own the new Duc, as it really is a step ahead. Why the fuck Triumph chose to keep 'Sportster' suspension on it is beyond me. Hopefully the new Street Scramble has at least 5" of travel, vs the 4. something inches the old one has.
    Many will, and do, push the Triumph.
    I've used my current Triumph Scrambler for all of the above (not RTW lol), and I'm keeping the bike, which my kid wants.
    My point is Triumph missed a big audience...

[​IMG]
  18. tangerine

Oddometer:
    What I don't understand is the small tank. With better economics it is probably similar to the air cooled one.

But hey, Triumph. I don't want to drive just to the next cafe with it.

Why not using the bigger tank from the 1200-version (as an option)
    diabolik37 and ScrambDaddy like this.
  19. tangerine

Oddometer:
  20. Smooth

Smooth Adventurer

Oddometer: