Triumph Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by tangerine, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WIDGIN,
    AFAIK the kits you mention are for the 17-18 model years but not for the 2019. Like you, I have the FOX shocks and find the fork action pathetic.
  2. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Yes, mine is a 17 model. Supposedly the 19 has cartridge fork which should be better then the 17 but still doesnt have a lot of travel.
  3. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no supposedly. The 2019 and on have cartridge forks. Now whether they are any good is another matter. Travel is down to the fork tube physical length so a longer tube would be required for more travel.
  4. jwdub

Oddometer:
    I would like to move my handlebar forward by at least an inch. Has anyone found an adapter that will work on the Triumph offset top clamp?
  5. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've considered the 2019 Scrambler although 4.7" of travel is not sufficient for me. Are there any suppliers who offer kits to increase the suspension travel front and rear? I know there used to be a U.S. based company that offered longer fork tubes although a application specific, design for the Scrambler would really help things out. I feel 6" of travel would go a long way in providing enough travel to allow quality suspension improvements. Any suggestions or supplier information?
  6. jwdub

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to compare my Buell XB12XT's 4.9" front and rear travel with the Triumph Street Scramblers 4.7" front and rear. The Buell's suspension is excellent -- soaks up everything thrown at it -- not so with the Triumph. However, the Buell has complete adjustabilty vs. the Triumph and therein lies the problem. Even with the Fox shocks on the rear, it's only a minor improvement over the stock shocks. No rebound damping adjustment -- and the stock fork is poor. Unfortunately, as noted previously, the 2019 model has different internals than the 2017 and 2018 models -- so the aftermarket solutions for those years don't apply to the 2019.
  7. motoretro

Oddometer:
    I'm aware of the suspension on the XT and have heard nothing but good about the action and adjustments. That said, it's a apples and oranges type of suspension compared to the Scrambler. I think the best route to improving the Scrambler's suspension is to adapt a USD front from another bike and relocate the rear shock mounting to provide longer travel and a more progressive action. As far as the Fox items go, IMO, one size fits all spring rate seems a stretch for the price. I've had
    Fox shocks on a prior Triumph Bonneville project and they worked very well although back then you could order them in different spring rates.
  8. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the rear shocks for the Scrambler 900s will work with the SS? I have a really low mileage Progressive 412 set leftover from my 2007 carby.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    motor,TEC bike parts has the kit you are looking for,nice you tube article.
  10. motoretro

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up on Tec, I'll check them out.
  11. jwdub

Oddometer:
    TEC says their working on a kit for the forks on the 2019 900 SS. Indicated that it should be ready soon. Don't know what kit of mods their doing -- springs and pre-load adjusters most likely --- but I'd really like some damping control too.
    motoretro likes this.
  12. motoretro

Oddometer:
    Hopefully TEC has some extended travel mods up their sleeves for the 19 models, another 1.25-1.5 " would really provide something to work with.
  13. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interest at this as well...post update when you get more please
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    TEC has vids on maintainence, fork mods and cam for the WC900.
  15. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    So , my friend (close as brothers) is slightly jealous of my 1200 XE. We rode Tiger 800XC's together for years , but He's 5'5" or 6" and has accepted that now , Esp as age is catching up with him. I'm leaning him in the direction of the SS , as it would be a better fit for him out of the box than most , and he wants a bike that looks like a bike. He is currently on the 1200 Speedmaster. I went through all 22 pages , saw a SS or 2 set up with more off road oriented tires , and such. Any of you guys riding off road? We have a good bit of FS stuff , and more challenging stuff in the area. Truth be told , we would ride 80% FS stuff (when off the asphalt) , but the last 20% can get hairy. What has been the groups collective experience with the SS in the dirt? I'm handy making needed changes to bikes , so tires , hand guards , higher front fender , would be easy to remedy. Give me the truth about the bike. I know it has limited travel (compared to the 1200) , but give me the scoop from real world experience. BTW , rider is very seasoned , has good off road sense , and is about 200 lbs.

Thanks.
  16. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I can’t help you with the off road part but as for size, I’m 5’5” and it is the first bike I have owned that I have been able to flatfoot for about 30 years, which does make it easier to manipulate and inspires a bit more confidence. With the right tires and and higher front fender I wouldn’t hesitate to run a FS road, but I might be worried about the suspension, ground clearance and weight on that 20%. But I’ve got to admit...now you’ve got me curious!
    30B80328-3FF7-4245-9BB9-3692705737AC.jpeg
  17. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Shep. I have enjoyed what you do with your Scramblers.
  18. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had a SS a couple times as a loaner from the dealer, spent a couple hours on it yesterday. While at our coffee stop I noticed it has the tourance tires like our XE’s do in stock form, and so I started thinking of how the bike would perform off-road.

The first thing that came to mind was the gearing. It’s tall, a very noticeable difference from the 1200. It’s a 5 speed too, something common on most cruisers which had me wondering why triumph would put such a gearbox in a “Scrambler”. Then I remembered the word “Street” in the model name. Right...a street bike that *looks* like a Scrambler.

Could it be ridden off-road? I guess, but not to the same level as the 1200 XE or even the XC.

The suspension lacks the needed travel and ground clearance is not great. Not enough of either for technical off-roading. Some expensive work would need to be done to the suspension but that wouldn’t really solve the ground clearance issue. Ripping around on the flats would be fine, but log- overs would be a real challenge.

My opinion is that the SS is a gravel bike at best. I wonder if your friend might fit the XC if it had the low seat fitted and the forks raised up in the clamps 5-10 mm. I’ve been quite happy with a fork height adjustment on my XE. Started with 5mm, I’m at 10mm right now. Handling is actually better on the roads.

Or maybe a Desert Sled?
  19. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Desert sled is nearly as tall as my XE. I’m 6’4” and checked them out as soon as they hit the states. He is in his early 50’s and is ready to flatfoot. Sort of why the XE and XC aren’t on the table. I think the SS is more in line with where he’s headed. Dropping a tooth is an easy fix if gearing is too tall ( dropped a tooth on both of our Tigers as the 1st gens were geared entirely too tall for off road hijinks). Still sorting out the details. Appreciate the feedback.
  20. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know the desert sled was tall.

Dropping a tooth is a cheap and easy mod.

He’d need to source an aftermarket skidplate too, stock one is plastic.
    Black Rhino likes this.