1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by tangerine, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m 59. Also a “seasoned” rider and while it’s been a long time since I did off-road or dual sporting, I have quite a bit of experience in my past. In fact, I’m wanting to get back to it as I find myself close to retirement. Maybe do some BCDRs.

I added a full exhaust and power commander to mine and it has never felt underpowered to me. Never really thought about the gearing from an off road perspective since I haven’t attempted it. It would be a compromise no doubt and limited, but...I can say as a backroad explorer it is a great machine and super easy to just jump on and go.

As a short rider wanting to explore unimproved roads and light off road, I have toyed with the idea of adding either a Honda Rally or the new KTM 390 ADV.
    Black Rhino likes this.
  2. curbs and coping

curbs and coping n00b

Oddometer:
    Latley i ride more off road than i do on road. Im 6' 2" and 150Lbs and to get it to fit a little better ive put on lowering pegs, British Customs Slammer seat that raises me a bit and handle bar risers so now im super comfy on it. The tyres need to go. I find my self slipping all over the place but i wont change them out until theyre done (dont see the point in wasting money when these still have life). I might just be naive because this is my first bike with limtied dirt experience as a kid but it's handled everything ive thrown at it really well. Starting on easy fire roads, gravel, to easier single track, snow, mud. I dont find myself bottoming out all that much. Granted ive got to pick my lines a little better to avoid bigger rocks that most "real off road bikes" could handle with ease and ive only high centered once on a log but its still light enough to pick it up and push over. Free Spirits makes an "off road kit" which is pretty much a 30mm spacer in the bottom of the forks to give you 1 inch of ground clearacne at the frame and TEC rear shocks fitted with the spacer ive read can give you another inch in the rear, so i plan on doing both asap. Once im back to work the better Triumph bash plate is the first thing to go on, the stock one has been fine and is showing minmal spots where its taken damage but ill just feel better having the full length and metal one, followed by the crash bars. As far as gearing goes after riding this bike on the street for the first 5000 KM i never really understood why the gear box was set up the way it is. Second gear feels almost pointless on the street but on the dirt, once the bike has been put into the Off Road setting i find my self never really pushing past second now nearing 10,000KM and getting a better understanding of the bike i think you cant apprciate the gear box fully until youve taken it off road. When i bought the bike i didnt really have any intention to ride off road but now its all i want to do. In saying that i wouldve looked at more and different bikes when buying but in no way do i regret buying this. Half the fun is riding the trails while everyone looking at my bike knowing it looks damn good and them not having a clue what it is while i keep up with them. IMG_1210.JPG
  3. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Add a more off road friendly tire set , and find a whole new outlook on being off road. Fact. :beer
  4. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    I ride my 2017 Street Scrambler on gravel and light off-road. It's equipped with Fox Rear Shocks, T-Rex metal skid plate, engine protection bars, metal backed hand guards, BC Bench seat, Shinko 705 tires. If I changed to more aggressive tires, I certainly could go most places where others with 500lb bikes tread. I am a very experienced off road rider but also like the Shinko's to run on twisty mountain roads.
    I agree that the gearing is a little high and I need to slip the clutch in anything technical. Also, I can't simply bomb down a gravel road at 50mph as I did when I rode a Tiger 955, mainly due to the lack of suspension travel. The suspension will bottom out, particularly the forks. But the bike does fine offroad if you keep the pace down. I regularly take the SS down and up very rocky doubletrack and usually bring a few rocks home that bounced up and get stuck between the engine and the skid plate. I've though of upgrading the forks but not sure I want to spend the money as I am also considering changing to a 1200XC. However, I'm afraid I then might miss the around town handiness of this bike. Instead, I may add a Yahama T7 to the stable when they arrive to get something lighter with more suspension travel and better wind protection for running up the interstate to get into the mountains. I'm also considering buying a serious electric mountain bike (Like a Trance or a X1) with the money.
    GR8SKP and Black Rhino like this.
  5. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before spending money on upgrading your suspension, I’d recommend riding an XC. I rode one for a couple weeks last summer, really nice bike.

If you’re not vertically challenged and like the SS, I think you’ll LOVE the XC. It handles better than the SS (mainly due to better suspension) and the extra grunt from the bigger motor is obviously a plus. There are also noticeable upgrades throughout the 1200 (controls, swing arm, etc) when compared to the SS. Obviously...they cost a lot more.

The SS is a joy to ride on road, pretty good value all things considered.
  6. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a current 2014 Scrambler owner and I love it. But I bought it (used) because I always loved the style and I was DROOLING over the new Street Scrambler. I just couldn't swing the price at the time.

But, after two years of ownership, this 2017 Street Scrambler showed up at my local powersports dealer. It's just about exactly as I would have optioned one on the showroom floor. The exact color, some nice farkles, etc. Only 6400 miles. And I got a STEAL on it, at nearly a grand under book value before taxes, and no dealer prep fees, B.S., etc.

From what I can see, it has Triumph adjustable levers, Fox shocks, a crash bar, fork sliders, rear spools, a Triumph (I think) fly screen), bar end mirror, an Evotech cover over the rectifier, etc. The turn signals and tail light look to be from Analog (correct me if I'm wrong here).

The only things I may add are the rack for the pillion and maybe a factory saddle bag.

I pick it up tomorrow and I can't wait!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you fell into a great deal, enjoy and make it yours!
  8. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
  9. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought and picked mine up today....shout out to the great folks @ North Ridge Custom Cycles. IMG_3692.jpg
    radianrider, twaldron and jwdub like this.
  10. motoretro

Oddometer:
    Very nice, enjoy & stay safe.
    vfrmike likes this.
  11. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    Adios Street Scrambler. After 7500 great miles I am trading for a 1200XC. Hope I wont miss the around town manners of the SS but the big engine and suspension travel beckoned too strongly.
  12. Paulinthewood

Paulinthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dakar Dan, zap2504, Shep and 3 others like this.
  13. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks sharp...and that’s a lovely setting.
  14. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Anyone fitted a 21" front wheel or a 21-18 combo? anyone fitted longer travel suspension front and rear? maybe ohlins forks and shocks from a 1200 XC?
  15. motoretro

Oddometer:
    As far as suspension goes, I'd start with TEC, Free Spirits Parts and Canyon Motorcycles.
  16. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    I've already been in contact with Canyon but unfortunately they are US located while I'm in Europe but still it could be doable. Thank you!
  17. motoretro

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't be an issue in shipping to Greece unless they have a policy I'm unaware of. I think this bike would really benefit from another inch or so of efficient suspension. I personally would remove the stock rims and replace with a set of good alloy rims and spokes, this would help with the suspension also. There are quite a few 2019 SS's sitting on dealer floors at decent prices with solid improvements, I feel the bike deserves better suspension to make it a viable ride.
  18. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    My plan is to get a 21 front wheel or a 21-18" combo and then maybe add front forks and rear shock from WP or Ohlins with longer travel. Maybe the ones from the 1200 XC could fit. One issue is whether the modes and the switchable abs will still work so it may need to get new abs rings etc but I think it is doable...you have to find the right people. I have contacted a few shops that made such conversions one in Spain I think but no reply from them...
  19. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Felt like a 10 yr old today. Climbed on the scrambler put my fly rod on back and went exploring. Kind of thing I did on my stingray 55 yrs ago. IMG_3733.JPG IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG Loving her so far.
    rixcafe and motoretro like this.
  20. WIDGIN

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested, i have a High Front Fender bracket for Street Scrambler listed on FleaBay and entertaining offers. I will shortly list a roll of the 3M tape I was going to seal rims with and will likely list Ascerbis Handguards with extensions. Photos on these things on bike are in my posts. I have already sold Headlight Guard, transferred Footpegs to 1200XC and let shocks, flyscreen, engine guards, and rear rack stay on bike when traded.