1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Street Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by tangerine, Dec 7, 2016.

1. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to the mod?
  2. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    There weren’t any details on the site, just a photo of a Givi plate mounted where the stock, small rack sits. So I ordered the Givi M8A Monokey Plate, removed the stock plate, set the Givi in place, marked the stock mounting holes on the new plate, drilled them out and mounted the plate with the stock bolts.
    twaldron likes this.
  3. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Sounds simple enough, thanks!
  4. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a 2019 Street Scrambler, and really enjoy riding it, other than the well-known suspension issue. There is one other thing, I was just wondering if anyone else finds the throttle response a tiny bit sluggish in Road mode. I like it better in Off Road mode, but it shuts off the instrument panel (anyone know why?) I've only got about 150 miles on the bike, so do you think the throttle response will improve? Should I talk to the dealer when I bring it in for 1st service? Or is it just that I've never ridden a ride-by-wire bike before, or the characteristic of 270 firing order. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  5. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also saw these on YT by a Brit installing them on a new Speed Twin , he could not speak highly enough about them, really changed the bike.
  7. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, looks like a pretty clean, simple solution.
  8. Boxerknock72

Boxerknock72 n00b

Oddometer:
  9. rodhotter

rodhotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i was going to trade my G650GS on a 17 SS but after research i found a new leftover 19 for $8999 + the usual + got a decent trade value from Quaker Motorsport for my like new 1500 mile GS. a short ride before the rain told me i opted correctly as the direct mount Brembo 4 piston calipers are VERY good + its a comfortable riding position for me, + once my empty account from completely paying for it i will hopefully use this bike to tug my preowned motorvation spyder i purchased years ago. i got a rear seat-pad but no metal rear plate, the Givi monkey plate looks like an option for sure. long post on bags + racks on T-Rat as well
  10. Vstrombrit

Vstrombrit Life - you only live once

Oddometer:
    No, but what I will say is the company TEC are a good old fashioned UK based company and I can't be more pleased with my TEC touring rack, so I suspect the mod you mention may be a good move. Here in the UK TEC products are good value and well made. Hope you get sorted.
    jwdub likes this.
  11. Paulinthewood

Paulinthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love that green!
    Paulinthewood likes this.
  13. Boxerknock72

Boxerknock72 n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_5027.jpg IMG_5026.jpg
    Vstrombrit and Dakar Dan like this.
  14. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to which discussion? It's a huge expanse of noise when I look.
  15. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  16. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to do one of the western BDR trips next spring. I’ve got a ‘17 Scrambler. The usual starter kit upgrades of better rear shocks, skid plate, knobbies, unrealistic optimism etc...

Is it practical with grit and stamina to anticipate a high degree of success doing the Nevada, Arizona, Colirado or Utah BDR? The only hangup I can see with Nevada is the fuel limits on section 5, with the 200 mile gap on a 3 gallon tank getting 50mpg.

The scant off road I’ve done with the bike suggests some improvements to the front forks is compulsory, and the tall gearing on the front sprocket is a bit annoying. And the weight of the bike.

i’m not seeing any legitimate reason to just scratch the whole idea. But I don’t want to end up pulling eject in the middle of nowhere.
  17. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you have to modify the T Rex plate to get it to fit? Mine doesn’t fit. The bolt holes don’t line up on the rear. I have a 2017 Scrambler too.
  18. 816realbbq

816realbbq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted something for a water bottle / fuel bottle / etc...and didn't want it on the left side (where all the weight is due to the lack of luggage options for the right side of the Street Scrambler). This doesn't weigh much, it starts adding up with luggage on the left.

Shown below is an Enduristan bottle holder with a 1.5L Primus bottle. I specifically picked the Enduristan because, unlike other bottle holders, it will accommodate the largest Primus bottle and has the additional retention strap for the neck. The Primus bottle is $22 USD. The bottle holder is $28 shipped.

I went for an hour-long ride today to check any issues with the position of the tank (heat) or otherwise. No issues. I've attached the bottle to the bars on the OEM luggage rack.

For anyone thinking of a long trip, yes the puny 3.2 gallon tank is an issue. But this adds about 15 miles of range easily. The other locations to consider: the front forks. I am leery of this. And on the crash bars if an appropriate bar clamp could be found. It is absolutely imperative to stay clear of the exhaust header which will instantly melt plastics when hot. The Triumph waxed cotton tank bag will comfortable fit two of these bottles side by side with some room to spare. That would stretch the range by 45 miles with three bottles stowed, approaching a 200 mile range.

IMG_1854 - Copy.jpg
  19. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    No, I don't remember drilling or modifying anything to get the T-Rex plate to fit. I suspect you need to remove the side panels or possibly spacers from stock "skid plate." Although it looks like an open hole between engine and frame at first, I soon loved that I could slip a soft tool bag into the right side under engine which filled out the space and allowed me to carry a full tool roll.
  20. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    NB I am not trolling.

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

(My SS is now 2 1/2 years and 15,000km old, much of its distance on rough gravel roads, though I’ve never been dumb enough to try riding it seriously on true off-road.)

Google didn’t help me, so it would be useful if others could enlighten me.