1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

triumph tiger 800 - fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Mr noname, May 15, 2011.

1. andrewsg

andrewsg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty disappointed with my fc as well, I can't even get to 185 miles on a tank, I always refuel when the range reaches 0, and fill up 18+ liters.

2011XC with the latest map, stock can, top box, crash bars, no paniers, no pillion. Urban commuting most of the time.

36 US MPG if my math is correct.
  2. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm getting about 40 to 42 mpg with about 1 gallon left when the lite comes on. I don't ride to conserve fuel... Looking at rotopax mounting options. I would like to have an easy 200 mile range.
  3. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  5. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:
    I bought this to try and *get* 230 miles (that's the distance between a few gas stops on the Heart of the West ride I'm doing in Sept).

No way I could get 230mi with my current riding style on just the stock tank :).
  6. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hit 50 mpg once, while riding down I91 from VT to CT, mostly downhill the whole way, got 218 miles before I had to fill up. That was all stock with just a tailbag. the usual was around 43mpg I think.

Over the winter I've added Triumph skid plate, crash bars, center stand, caribou cases, Leo Vince slip on, and had the Arrow map loaded. Now I'm pulling about 37-38mpg consistently. It's a pretty big drop, but the bike has a lot more utility and the remap makes it run SO much better. This is how it should have come from the factory, the stock map always felt like it wanted to stall off idle.
  7. Guilherme Brazil

Guilherme Brazil n00b

Oddometer:
    In this video the instant consumption of my Tiger 800 in several speeds...
    Recorded in a very good Brazilian road.

http://youtu.be/k1UJeny5CSE
  8. Waterdog08

Waterdog08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best fuel mileage that I have gotten was 52 mpg without luggage. I checked it the old fashion way a calculator. The dash readout was showing 48, but the math said 52.
  9. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interstate today at mostly around 85mph, into a good headwind. Found out exactly when I run out of gas - - 171 miles. Light went on at 127, that was a bit early (usually 140), but thought I could keep going. High plains, headed to the Rockies in CO, started sputtering and cut out on the interstate. Not a good feeling. Glided to a stop, shook it around a bit, fired up and got 2 more miles - - close enough to see an exit with services - - died again. Same drill, a mile to the ramp, barely made it up and to the station. Took 4.75 ish gallons. Very few exits about in far west NE.

Very lucky today i guess.
  10. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried calculating MPG's with different grades of fuel? I've noticed some places refer to minimum 87 octane while others refer to a minimum 91...what's the scoop for 2015 California XCx?
    BG
  11. mij640

mij640 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 XCx from new (summer 2017). I have logged all the gas that goes into it. After 10,300 km in stock trim, I averaged 4.28 L/100 km. Thats about 65.9 mpg (thats imperial gallons BTW). This past summer I put on an Arrow can and had the Triumph dealer install the latest Arrow tune or fuel map. Since the installation I have put on about another 2,500 km so far and the average since the exhaust change is 4.0 L/100 km or 70.7 mpg (imperial). The bike runs better with the Arrow can and fuel map change especially pulling away at a light. It's much smoother at low RPM and it also feels stronger when you really wind it up. I just love the sound and am really happy with the Arrow can. My riding is 90% highway with some gravel roads. I take backroads wherever I can and stay off boring freeways as much as possible.
    There is no way you can judge the fuel economy from the odd tank of gas here or there. I have had anywhere from 75 mpg down to less than 50 mpg (thats about 62.5 to 40 US mpg) on single tank of gas.
    Why is this the opposite to what most others have found. I think if you checked on rear tire wear you would find a lot of guys only getting about half the mileage out of a back tire after putting the Arrow can (or any other after market exhaust) on. A good sounding exhaust seems to loosen up the right wrist.

BTW, my last bike was a KTM 640 Adventure and the average was 51.6 imperial mpg or 43 US mpg with a 625 cc single cylinder (Although more offroad with this bike}. So I am really happy with the Tiger.
    iceburg7 likes this.
  12. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was pondering the Arrow flash, but I usually read others getting less mpg with it. Might have to do a bit more digging and revisit it. I know I don't get near your mpg without it..
  13. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2018 800 xrt, long term 58 mpg US gallons mainly on pavement, mostly in the mountains, mostly 35-60 mph on paved back roads but also some interstate and gravel.

Edited to answer the issue in the post below.

58 mpg is 4l/100km.

1 mile = 1.62 km, and one US gallon = 3.8 l.
    Hope this is helpful.
  14. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread is pointless because no-one specifies which volumetric measure you are using. Gallons;Imperial or U.S??

Why don't you be good chaps and convert your results to metric so the rest of the world knows what you are talking about.
  15. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • 2012 Tiger 800, 13k miles
    • Spirited riding about 80% of time, accelerate hard
    • Average highway cruise speed 85-90 (normal for TX traffic)
    • Average mpg in the mid-30s, US
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First trip on a 800 roadie with OEM panniers and my mileage is sucking. Had an XC with Pelican cases and never noticed a difference with or without. 155 miles fuel light came on. Same with the roadie and for that matter my 1050 Tiger with big Happy Trail cans. On a trip to Dagon Raid now, first time using the stock panniers and I'm consistently around 135 miles when the light comes on or 35-37 mpg. Not cool. Only other recent changes are adding a Unifilter and putting Shinko 805s on. Anyone have some input? I filled up with 155 miles on and it took 4.5 gals
  17. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tall is your shield?

At first, I thought my mileage went down with the Arrow pipe and remap. Then, I realized I hung those huge boxes on the sides at the same time.

I get 40 mpg averaging 70 mph on the highway.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    What sprockets are you running?
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    18" Madstad. I would think that could only help.

Stock chain and sprockets, same as the other Tigers.
  20. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800 XR 2018 with top box, HEED bars, HEED skidplate, original shorty windshield (which is crap) + add on wind deflector.
    Sprockets unchanged and I do have a Unifilter pre-filter.

I typically get 320kms before the low fuel light comes on. When I fill up it get about 15 litres.
    So that works out to about 21km per litre or about 400kms range based on the tank capacity of 19 litres.
    Also works out to 4.76L per 100kms
    This is based on a mixture of town riding with typical city traffic and some easy rides.

If touring I would definitely get better range/mileage.