1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

triumph tiger 800 - fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Mr noname, May 15, 2011.

1. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    If that version of stock is 16/50. Your odo is way off.
    Do you have a way to verify your traveled distance by gps?
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do and will verify it tomorrow.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran a tank thru today with the panniers off and its back to normal mileage so it's those boxy cans. A guy here at the Iron Horse Resort has a Givi rack from his old Tiger I can get for cheap. Think I'll just use my NR soft bags from now on and sell these panniers.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Did you run the gps mileage?
    I have 8” Jessies that never come off. I was seeing 180 range estimate consistently with the 16/50. But went an actual 257 on a tank. Now that I’m 17/43 my trip and fuel remaining match my gps odo.
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My comparison was odo miles, doesn't really matter if the odo matches the gps. Without panniers I get x miles, with I get x minus miles. Anyone want to buy OEM panniers cheap?
  6. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    2012 Roadie with Arrow exhaust, Givi windshield, no side luggage, hybrid map, 15 tooth front sprocket I get 42mpg average. Was down in the mid 30s when I had the Arrow map.

My MPG goes down a good bit when I add side luggage. The MPGs with the Arrow map were not acceptable to me.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On twisty WV roads today I still had a bar left and filled at 165, better than all the other tanks. I was actually running 87 octane on that tank since that's all they had.
  8. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do apple to apples with and without luggage it does have an impact, but I find tire pressure to be a big impact too. I run 50/50 tires and I'm usually running 30 psi. Below that it will drop quite a bit and I almost never run above 33 psi, but that improves mpg.

Also, grade of fuel matters less than ethanol content a lot of the time. Low or non-ethanol gas will yield better mpg than 10% ethanol and unless you're buying non-ethanol or filling back to back at the same station you don't really know the content.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure all of those variables add up. I'm running an almost bald Shinko 805 rear now. I was glad to see it back to normal without the panniers. I think the design is poor. Triumph never put much thought into their luggage.