Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    I could add cruise control to my bike if I really wanted it and for less than the trade up to a newer model would cost me. Triumph made a bike too good to bother with replacing it. I'm the kind of guy who is curious just how many miles I could put on it before it is worn out or I am just tired of it (or Triumph comes out with an ever newer and better version in 2025 or so that I won't be able to resist).
    IronJackWhitton likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m with y’all about my roadie too. It really is a Swiss Army Knife. I just keep wondering if theres *something better*
  3. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm content with my older 800.

My history has been 10 years per Triumph. 1995 Sprint replaced by 2005 Sprint replaced by leftover 2014 Roadie in '15.

I'm in no hurry to change. I'm only 3 years into this one.
    IronJackWhitton likes this.
  4. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    as soon as I address the wonky starter on my '12XC I'll have it dialed in. This is my $20 cruise control. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QOKC8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Been using my Go Cruise for 6 years...:nod
    bcliff likes this.
  6. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I want an opinion. Sold my DL650 last year for an FZ1 since I wasnt doing many camping trips or two up stuff. Now I miss it.

Looked at a lot of bikes but today I went out and test rode a 2011 Tiger 800 roadie ABS. Thought at first the bike felt top heavy, but I would probably get used to it. Power was nice and strong at all RPMs. Seems like a great bike for 2up, roomy.

How smooth is it at 85mph? I didnt get to go those speeds and my commute is a lot of highway. The bike has some scuffs and whatnot, its been used, but new tires and chain, arrow exhaust and moose seat. 34K miles and 5K price, but the seller says it had a full 24K mile service by the last owner, no proof. Never done valve check stuff on a bije like this before so perhaps I need to budget that? What do you guys think?
  7. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, hi!
    Depends on the tires. Road tires are glass, 705’s induce light high freq vibes in the bars. Knobbies, well, their knobbies, you’re eyeballs will vibrate. The only bad I’ve found above posted speeds is a light weave can develop in dirty air around trucks, big SUV’s and odd shapes on the road.
  8. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Roadie is smooth up at those speeds on Anakee 3 tires. Regarding the 24k service, I’d just trust it was done. If the valve check wasn’t done since 12k then the “damage is already done.” I’d put fresh fluids in it and let it ride until the 36k service is due then check the valves. This bike is damn bulletproof.
  9. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    Some owners have had issue with death wobble at speeds over 80-85, me included. However...there are factors that may contribute to this such as pannier use, weight distribution, tire choice, etc. I've only experienced it once just recently, partially loaded panniers on a rather tight curve on interstate type road. Took me by surprise and luckily was able to correct it. After google-fu-ing it I found it mentioned in a few places but no definitive answer as to what randomly causes it for some people and not others. It does not seem to be a case of "They all do that". You can get steering stabilizers that will prevent it completely but they are not cheap.

My solution is to just not ride that fast. I'm an old geezer and don't need to break the speed limit by that much anyway.

Valve lash can be checked by the home mechanic with angled feeler gauges but it is fiddly and you have to take a lot of the bike apart to do it. Actually changing shims is an additional PITA. I like doing my own work but I would consider paying a dealer for this service. Ordering shims and so on just isn't worth my time. I'd ask the seller what dealership did the work and then check with them for proof. They should be able to look it up by owner name or VIN.

It's funny you mention 'top heavy' because I ditched my DL650 for that exact reason. The Tiger doesn't feel near as tippy to me as the Strom did. :dunno
    EastBoundAndDown likes this.
  10. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that info. I am going to also try for a ride on the 1050 tiger as my dirt road usage will be less than 10 percent. I need to know!

Top heavy like the DL650 it seemed - but I am riding an FZ1 which is just a bit heavier but not a tall bike, low COG. I would get used to it quick.
  11. teamster

teamster i just want to do hoodrat shit with my friends

Oddometer:
    Update on the '18 XCA riser situation.

I had a friend come over and work on cable reroutes. Short of popping the tank and all the plastics off, we couldn't figure out a way to get the stock cables to work. He's got an '18 XCX, so we tried taking a look at his, and had the exact same issue.

Now, I can't tell if there's something wrong with our Tigers, since they came from the same dealer in Seattle within two months of one another, or if we missed some sort of simple hack that makes the install possible.

@jpbadonk could you take a few more pictures for me? Particularly from the top down, I'm trying to get a sense of where the cables you have are routed, and where the slack is coming up from.

In the meantime, I'm going to contact both the dealership and Rox, to see what gives. Something is definitely off, and I can't figure out why this install is proving so problematic.
  12. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think if you are unsure about the job , strip off the tank so a mechanic has access to the valve atea and trailer it to the shop. Why pay more for a simple asaembly job.
  13. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    My XCA had the same problem. I didnt want to remove the tank at the time, so I moved the switches for the heated grips, seats, and aux lights. I now have full lock turns with the bars. It is a temporary solution until I have to remove the fuel tank for some other reason. Anyway, I mounted the switches on the top of my ROX rises with a bit of GOOP adhesive. This stuff holds permanently, yet you can take the pieces apart if you change your mind later. I said it was a temporary fix, but it's been two years. It looks a bit cleaner if you also remove the mounts for these switches near the grips.
    [​IMG]
  14. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    That is a very neat and tidy solution. Nice work.
  15. teamster

teamster i just want to do hoodrat shit with my friends

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures, and the feedback! The problem on the '18 is that one of the limiting wires is the throttle-by-wire, which I can't realistically relocate like the toggles for heated accessories & lights. Short of taking the tank off, I can't figure out a solution on this model year.
  16. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe a good time to service the air filter as well?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the tank removal as all that bad.. A bit of a pain, yes, but not nearly as much as on the 1200! Do it once or twice and it gets easier, and probably should be something one should be proficient at for that 'just-in-case' moment when you need to do it on the side of the road.. That's assuming that in doing so, you can actually re-route the cables enough to make it work.
    XRman, Black Rhino and Siorc like this.
  17. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Maybe the '18 has a different setup, but my '16 has a FBW throttle as well. I had to rearrange my throttle cables to do the mounting shown. There was plenty of slack in the throttle cable on my bike; the problem was with the heated seat cables.
  18. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I've taken tanks off bikes in the past; including bikes with acres of Tupperware to remove, and I've watched the video for the Tiger. I can do it; I just don't feel like it just yet.
    teamster likes this.
  19. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I feel its an okay temporary solution. I'm not satisfied with it, appearance-wise, and my plan is to return the switches to their original locations. I've already been told this temporary fix will likely become permanent and that may be true.
  20. bassogap

bassogap Kids in sports makes me an athletic... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had my 800 Roadie since May of '13. Love it. Just back from a 17-day, 6k mile trip North, through BC to the Yukon and a week in Alaska (and back). More than 800mi on gravel/dirt roads. Previous longest trip was 8 days, 8 states, a big loop around the Western US. My riding partners were on a Vstrom 650 and an R12GS. None of the bikes escaped w/o at least a bit of damage or wear, but I am still convinced mine was the best tool for the job; it certainly was for me. Every bike I've owned has been a bit of an "oddball", either the model or the brand. Suits me fine.

I had a lot of time to think about this recently, and chat with my riding partners. The guy on the R12GS says he has maybe one more new bike left to go in his life...or maybe not. If so, he'll look closely at KTM. The Vstrom rider said he'd look at the new version of his bike, the Super10, the Tiger800. I said I'd look at the Super10 and the Tiger1200. The only reason I'd go for the larger bikes is more comfort/capacity for my (occasional) passenger.

I'm about to spring (ha!) for new suspension, front and rear. Ohlins internals for the forks, and an Ohlins shock for the rear. Along with a better pillion seat, that pretty much takes care of my passenger and the capacity issue. I'll stick with the bike I have.
    WRKITHOT and IronJackWhitton like this.