Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new Barnett clutch kit comes in today. Do you measure the clutch pack thickness before or after soaking the new friction plates in oil? I figured they may swell up a bit once they’re impregnated with oil.
  2. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Service manual makes no reference to pre soaking.
    clutch 1.PNG clutch 2.PNG
  3. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The service manual is meant for trained motorcycle mechanics and as such leaves out the obvious (to a trained mechanic) stuff. Haines manual written for every man/woman and step by step does mention soaking new friction plates.
  4. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my new clutch pack installed. Since my cable adjuster on the side of the engine was all the way forward from my plates being worn, I adjusted the nuts so that the barrel was in the middle of the range. Also adjusted the thumbwheel at the lever to the middle of the range. I now have the 2-3mm freeplay at the lever. Is that all I needed to do to get the tension set right again?

Also, has anyone had luck with using a fork seal cleaner to stop a slow oil leak? My front left fork seal is weeping oil and it's probably due to the uptick in muddy/dirty road riding I've been doing (much more dirt riding than usual). I was going to make my own fork seal cleaning tool with an old milk bottle. Do I pull down the dust seal first then slide the plastic bit up into the oil seal? How do you pull down the dust seal?
  5. CDBiker220

CDBiker220 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used a seal doctor on my dirtbike and it has worked great. If I replaced fork seals everytime they started to leak a bit I'd always have my suspension apart (on dirtbikes not tiger). I've used other fork seal cleaning tools but they did not work as well. You can also use a .003" thk feeler gauge to clean the seal but its a bit of a pain. Regardless of how you do it remove the dust seal first, usually this can just be done with a flathead screw driver between the outer edge of the seal and the fork tube.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Risk-Racin...h=item58d2e7f90b:g:cgkAAOSwYaFWdISZ:rk:2:pf:0
    mylastbike likes this.
  6. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your advice. I used a thin piece of plastic film to clean the fork seals yesterday and after my commute to work this morning it appears that I’ve stopped the weeping. I didn’t get any noticeable debris from under the oil seal but got a lot of gunk out from under the dust seal.
  7. AdrianB1

AdrianB1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, can anyone confirm if a slightly taller guy (1.90m, 6 foot 4) can ride a Tiger 800 on long trips without "pilot too tall" problems? I am looking at the 2018 model and there is no vehicle on display in my entire country, the closest is 1000 km away and I am not sure I want to ride 4 days for a static test (they don't do drive tests in this part of the world).
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I've never soaked a clutch pack in my life and none of the other mechanics I worked with at 4 different dealerships did ether at least while we were working at the same place. Never even heard about it till a recent discussion about KTM clutches on here. I've never soaked the friction disks in any of my in my KTMs ether. What is it supposed to accomplish that putting them in conventionally won't?
  9. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long is your inseam? I have a 33 inch (84cm) inseam, a 2013 XC, and I use the higher setting on my Sargent saddle. With an occasional standup on the pegs, I'm OK for a few hours in the saddle. After a while, I want to stretch, but for long distance riding, I prefer to pull over every couple of hours for that anyways.
  10. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    With a 36" inseam, I ride my '13 800XC for hours on end. 500-800 mile days. It's no living room easy chair but I'm okay with that. Years ago I discovered that Triumphs in general are cut for taller riders. I sat on a '94 Daytona and was sold. Also had a Speed Triple and two other 800XCs. It'll be a few years but I'll have a newer generation 800XC next.
  11. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, where did you sit on a '94?
  12. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess it’s along the same lines as if you prefill your new oil filter before screwing it on to the engine. Soaking the plates in oil first gets them as close to the state they’ll be in when in normal operating conditions. I can confirm that soaking my new friction plates has not caused any ill effects and the performance felt perfect from the get-go. The Barnett clutch instructions say you only need to soak them for 3-5 minutes and wipe off the excess oil before installing. It’s one of those things where it probably doesn’t matter either way. Does anyone know if the engine pumps oil to the clutch pack all the time? Is the flow variable with engine RPM?
  13. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 36" inseam and have done a few 500+ mile days on my XCx. I also have a SC tall seat to raise the seat height an additional 1.5".
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    ok thanks, I know for years it was never called out in the clutch replacement procedures in most factory service manuals but now it is in some of them but I've not seen any significant changes in most clutches. Slippers and Bellville springs being the exception. The oil isn't pumped directly to the clutch, it's in a bath which was why I asked about soaking. To some extent it's getting soaked when you fill the crankcase up. I wouldn't think soaking them would cause any ill effects, by the same token not soaking them has never caused any issues that I've seen which is why I was curious about this.
  15. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    Good catch! I know what you're thinking. Triumphs were not delivered in the US until '95. It was a Canadian model. It was sitting at my cousins Triumph dealership in Indiana, about 2001. Imported by another friend who traded it in on a used Guzzi. It was my all time favorite bike until I got the 2011 XC. Sadly, my older brother totaled the 900. Fortunately, he recovered from injuries. After I lost the Daytona, I picked up a '95 Speed Triple.

i
    brgsprint likes this.
  16. AdrianB1

AdrianB1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the US pant size is the answer to the question, it is 34. I see a couple of people with 36, that means taller than me, so I am moving forward with the acquisition, I've already contacted the company that imports Triumph in my country and they don't keep any on stock, ever, but can import on request.

Thank you for the answers.
    MrMac and jml141 like this.
  17. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s called “round plastic insert, 12.7 mm”
    Part # T3450092
    $2.50

Just ordered one as mine is missing also.
    interactive3 likes this.
  18. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and wear 34 inseam pants (although 34.5 would be better if available). Seat Concepts tall seat and Madstad windshield very very highly recommended. I also have lowered footpegs. And Rox Risers.
  19. interactive3

interactive3 Odd cylinders only! 1 (KLX) 3 (Tiger) 5 (VW)

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually weighed their Tiger? Did you use an industrial floor scale, hanging crane scale, or something else?
  20. bassogap

bassogap Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    6'3", 35in inseam, and I've had zero issues on my '13 Tiger 800. I've got Pivot Pegz installed since last Summer, and swapped to a tall saddle (Touratech) when I bought the bike (stock seat was like sitting on an overstuffed couch). Aftermarket windscreen helps, as the stock screen is pretty small.

Coming from 20yrs on sportbikes, the Tiger has plenty of room, and is comfy all day. Did a 17-day, 6k mile ride last Summer. No bike comfort issues.