1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    A madstad windshield is a huge improvement . Depending if you're going to do hard core dirt or not, I went up one tooth in the front and down three in the back for a much more relaxed street ride. I still do easy dirt with no problem.
    KCBonnie and davidaid like this.
  2. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See the videos I did here or read the index in the 2 or 3rd post for several mods that will help depending on what you're riding. Enjoy the bike!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-2017-tiger-800xcx-mods-video.1379693/
    TPezzy and davidaid like this.
  3. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same Tiger in Black. Mine came with a Puig windscreen and I have heard that is a great upgrade to the stock one so you might think about that. Mine also had heated grips and they have been a god send so far..
    davidaid likes this.
  4. itinerant wool stash

itinerant wool stash Inveterate optimist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Things I'd do in every case, even if you only have slight dirt ambitions

* Drop the front sprocket a tooth. Even on pavement it will make the bike just much more fun to ride. We joke that there's a reason that Triumph even offers the smaller sprocket as official OEM part, because it quite clearly is the ratio the bike was meant to have.
    * Heated grips
    * Better rad-guard
    * Barkbusters or other decent hand guards
    * Foldable levers

Unlike many I think that the stock engine guards and sump guard are reasonable enough to keep them on the bike until you manage to break them. ;)
    TPezzy, Pnb7914 and davidaid like this.
  5. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plastic guard is actually good. Have a look at the depth of the plastic.
    Don't bother with Triumph heated grips. Weak at best. This side of the pond we would go for Oxford grips or R&G. Way hotter and more adjustment.
    You could also fit the Australian pre filter (make escapes me) and won't have to change the air filter again.
    davidaid likes this.
  6. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    The prefilter brand is Unifilter.
    davidaid likes this.
  7. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Mine has OEM heated grips. They work perfectly fine but I also don't ride in anything below 40 deg F.
    brgsprint and davidaid like this.
  8. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had OEM heated grips as well and they were plenty warm.. but the wiring through the bars is a pain in the backside if you want to do anything with the bars or swap to aftermarket bars. I will be getting a set of Oxfords before winter returns. The Uni Filter is a no brainer.
    davidaid likes this.
  9. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's difficult to find neutral while the bike is stopped now. The only thing I've changed is going with a conventional (non-synthetic) motor oil. Could this be the reason? Prior to this I could find neutral all day long while the bike was stopped.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Could be. Was it m/c specific oil at least, or just regular automotive oil? The former might result in clunkier shifts as the oil wears (after a couple thousand miles maybe). The latter is earnestly not recommended, can cause clutch slippage, but I don't know that it would necessarily cause problems with finding neutral.
    There have been issues with earlier Tigers having shifter pin breaking, some cases documented in this thread. I don't think that would cause the neutral finding issue you're having though (but I'm not sure of that).
    Simple things first, put some proper oil in and see if the issue clears.
  11. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just used Rotella T4 15W-40 which has passes the various JASO requirements for wet clutch bikes.

But yeah I have a jug of Rotella T6 15W-40 which is their full synth that I can put in.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    T6 here, only issue I’ve noticed is having to bump the clutch if I come to a stop in higher gears.
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  13. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a getoff a few weeks ago in sand. Hurt a knee and contusion on the other leg. Fortunately I didn't snap any ligaments, though there might be tears in there.

The engine bar of my 2013 800XC plowed in, and the indicator was damaged. I want to keep the same indicators on the bike. Where's a good place to order replacements? I tried on Amazon, and the order got cancelled after some seller weirdness. I don't really want to pay Triumph prices for them if I can get them cheaper. TIA!
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Fit a prefilter so you never need to change the main air filter again. It'll save you a LOT of time in the future.

--mark
    davidaid likes this.
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    The Tiger motor was designed for semi-synthetic oil at least. Running mineral oil in it is not recommended -- particularly mineral oil that's not motorcycle-specific. I would change it if I were you.

--mark
    Flap Jack likes this.
  16. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I follow manufacturer's recommendation on oil, you might try that.

But that said, all bikes can have trouble shifting to neutral when stopped, depending on how the gears are meshed at that particular stopping point. Try pulling in the clutch lever and rolling the bike a couple inches forward or back while shifting to neutral.
  17. tomboyjr

tomboyjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as the windshield, I found mine letting wind hit me in the face after I installed the risers. I unbolted the side mounts, and the front mounts actually pivot. So I pushed the windshield more upright, until it was almost hitting the headlight housing. Then I made 2 extensions, only about an inch higher than they were, and re-mounted the windshield to them. HUGE difference. The stock windshield should come with 2 different mounting holes IMO.
  18. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    How necessary do you guys think a sump guard is on an 800? Especially if it's going to be an 80/20, maybe 90/10 road/street? Going to definitely add crash guards and radiator guard, but I'm having a hard time justifying a larger sump guard.
  19. tomboyjr

tomboyjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that. I thought the stock plastic unit would be fine for what I do. Mostly road, some gravel but I dont plan on doing trails, I have a DRZ for that. But I was riding with a buddy last week on gravel, and he told me after the ride that he saw a lot of rocks getting thrown from my front wheel into the front of the motor, at the skid plate, oil filter etc. I never felt anything. So I just got today my Richocet aluminum skid plate, from ebay for $139 shipped. Looking at it, it looks like it will do what its supposed to do, for a lot less money than many other brands. Cheap insurance.
    TxRoadDog likes this.
  20. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think señor. Getting one on the way now.