1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Tiger 900

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LivingdeadCamo, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Funny thing is, I’ve never liked the look of the green in pictures both in the XC and now the Rally Pro, but I don’t mind them in the flesh, and the white frame appeals to me. But, you’re right, it’s white or black.....I lean towards black. The more I read about the Rally Pro and included tech I just see a huge price, but the Yanks are toying with pricing which is only slightly more than the XCa....so it might be palatable. Excuse me while I head off to vacuum the floors and wash the wife’s car....
    LivingdeadCamo and BygDaddee like this.
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I sent triumph a photo... looks like they ran with it :lol3
    994D7804-7829-41EA-BC06-53810C2D311C.jpeg
    badmanners and Aussie Trev like this.
  3. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    You know you just have to have one Trev. See you out on the trails next year
    XRman likes this.
  4. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    It’s only a motor bike Andy! What colour do you think? Lol
  5. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    I know that the photos of the bikes on Triumph’s own site are promotionally inspired... but you’d think they could have put the Pirelli Scorpion Rally tyre on the rear wheel of this 900 Rally Pro the right way around - wrong direction guys!! 9D1B870F-F8B7-47BC-9B70-2DD529F3C2EF.jpeg
    Haggs, ferals5 and Roofchop like this.
  6. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually bought one of these yet?
  7. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    I’ve been talking to a guy in Melb Kym, who test drove a black one at PS that had been used on the press release event. It had 350 kms on it and they’d dropped $5k. He loved it and went back the next day and bought it. Due to the COVID restrictions the bikes didn’t get much use at the event and are in pretty good nick. He’s very happy. There’s discussion on fb pages about a crappy mapping system though.
  8. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I test rode the Rally Pro today for 40 mins after watching YouTube all night. Wow what a bike.
    The 800 I test rode last year was meh ok.

So I went along to Sunstate; They had quite a few with nearly all of them already sold and gone. They've got white & black, black & white and green and white. Red as well I think. There's the slightly cheaper straight 900, then the GT and the GT Pro which are slightly more road-ish (170/180mm travel), then the 900 Rally and 900 Rally Pro (which is btn $24,000-25,000 & 240/230mm travel).

This 900. The engine, so nice. The handling so smooth. The gearbox quick shift makes Ducati’s seem very Fordson. (Anyone get that unpop culture ref.?) Decent suspension on the top models. Fully adjustable and ABS etc switchable. Holy moly.

Here's some vids. Farmer Torque seems okay, I've watched a view of his and he makes sense. But it's all England and roads with a 'green lane'.
    There's quite a few that compare it with the Honda CRF1100 Africa Twin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cruz likes this.
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I dropped into olivers on saturday, I think they nearly all had sold stickers, it caught my attention
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So how was the test ride? Comfortable for your back?
    Was the 850TT there too?
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Tiger 900s
    aIMGA0665.jpg
  13. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I
  14. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd expand a little on my test riding experience on the 900 Rally Pro. I dropped into a couple of bike shops where I always annoy the staff, just to look at the Triumphs, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia and Ducatis (Sunstate M'dore). I dunno if I'm going to be able to ride my cruiser until next autumn, if ever due to spine repairs, so I thought I'd look and see if anything bigger was comfortable without being a sherman tank.
    So I've had a 990, which I got rid of after 20,000 kms and went back to enduro bikes. I've had the XR600, XT660R, Versys650, WR250R, TE610ie + others, and the ones in my sig line. I'm not really a fan of giant ADV behemoths, my personal opinion is that they aren't a dirt bike, and aren't a road bike, and too big. (YMMV).
    Anyway I rode a Tiger 800 a year ago and it was okay, but didn't rock my boat. I rode a Tracer 900 for 8 days in Japan and was quite impressed by the triple. I've test ridden the V85TT, Crosstourer1200, considered the Scrambler1200XE (but a bit ugly and the rear suspension has ?marks over it - but the sound is awesome). I've test ridden the 1200GS too, and it was very nice for its size, but a bit expensive I thought at the time.
    After finding out that 2nd hand prices are through the roof, I wondered if I sold the Thunderbird I could consider actually buying something as smooth and comfortable as my mates FFRC modified 1290. So that's my antecedants. I'll try to type something you can't hear from all the poms on YouTube.

Anyway I was persuaded against my better judgement to go for a test ride for half an hour. I went for about 45 mins. I covered suburb streets, open freeway, winding bitumen roads. No off-road. My thinking about it is that I've got a very off-road focussed adv-type bike (the 501) and if the Tiger can manage a gravel road at all, it would have a place. You could treat the Tiger as a 50/50 bike if you had to, and were careful with the right tyres, but I think my goal would be 80/20 or 90/10. (road biased)

My first impression was that it was one of the easiest bikes to jump on and ride off. Way easier than an enduro bike, or a big one. Like the V85TT, just comfortable and balanced. All the controls were in the right place.
    Near new and not adjusted, the suspension was very smooth on the rougher roads. I'm positive that with a little MPE assisted adjusting, it could be as nice as M's 1290 which was a magic carpet on the horrific small section of ruined bitumen btwn my house and Kenilworth.
    The real thing I found with the suspension, and the handling generally was on a very winding section of good ashphalt that is supposed to be 60 and would be a road riders piece of heaven, I was confident taking it around the bends at 110 and rounding up cars and utes over the centre-line without a care in the world. A bit foolish I know, but the road handling was brilliant and not being a road rider, I was extremely confident. And didn't fall off.

I love sharp, quality brakes, the 501 and 939 are one finger stopping, and this was the same. Didn't pay much attn to the rear, just trailbraked a bit through the corners.

So I've ridden the quick shifter on the BMW1000RR and the Ducati; and this Triumph quickshifter is in another world of its own, even better than BMW. Even seamless between first and 2nd. Quick and smooth. Just brilliant. I'm a convert to quick shifters, they are just cool.

Considering the bike had 200 kms and I've found nothing recent feels run in until about 3000 kms, I was very impressed with the torque. The motor sounds great. More doonk, doonk at low revs like a off-set twin, but then that triple just sings up at higher revs. They all wank on about that on YouTube. On the motorway I ran up to 160 a couple of times through the gears, and while it doesn't have that totally free run-out that a roadbike's engine does, it is nor far off it.

Like anything over 500cc these days, you could cruise all day at 140. If you were allowed.

I liked the footpeg position, not too far forward, I like my feet under me a bit. Standing up was easy as you'd expect. I cruised along standing up for a while around the bends pretending I was a low flying jetplane and it was easy, just like on a big dirt-bike.

I think that the pegs could be a bit wider if you were using big boots. That's an easy mod.

I don't like the tall screen, even at the lowest setting there was buffetting at 100 and if I stood up about 10 cm, the air cut off at my chin level and my helmet went quiet and still. I'd consider cutting 10cm off the screen if I had it. But no-one else in the world seems to think the same as me. I thought for total comfort (I'm 185cm), on the highest seat setting that the handlebars could be about 25mm higher and 25mm back, so bar risers might be the go even though I think they are often a mistake on bikes.

The seat felt a bit like it had not much padding when I first sat on it which was weird. Having said that, I never noticed it again after the first 20 seconds. I like a long flat seat like a dirt bike to move around on, and this is in-between - a little bit dished, and a little bit flat. I was happy with the amount of movement it gave me to move back, which is rare on a road-ish bike which usually locks you into one position. There was even more and heaps of room to move a long way forward into a real sitting-attack position. I'm probably doomed for the rest of my life to use an Airhawk, so the seat is not a biggie for me - I'd consider making it a bit taller and softer with that SSC guy I've heard about if I rode it and the Airhawk annoyed me.

So that's about it. I want one in spite of the $24,000++ price tag. (top model, Rally Pro)
    Haggs, tuxic, Cruz and 6 others like this.
  15. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Black was nice to look at too.
    [​IMG]
    Haggs and BygDaddee like this.
  16. Wigster

Wigster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the Rally Pro. Had it 2 months. Best bike I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of bikes, including three Tiger 800's).

Wigster
    Haggs, Cruz, LivingdeadCamo and 2 others like this.
  17. Wimmysfruitsalad

Wimmysfruitsalad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread needs a picture!

900tiger.jpg
    900 Rally. Picked up last wednesday. Only done 750km to date as it was raining for 4 days.
  18. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Still 750 kms!!! In 3 days.
    Won’t take long until the first service at that rate.

I have to wait 3 months at least.

White looks a lot better in real life than the screen.
    [​IMG]
    Haggs, nevgriff64 and Johns-Bikes like this.
  19. Wimmysfruitsalad

Wimmysfruitsalad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    White looks OK. But very happy with my green one.

Yes my dealer said mine was the last 900 tiger imported in WA, for now. He can't get hold of any till November % December

First service on Monday. Should still be <1000km by then (going to ride the dirtbike for the weekend trip).
    Yesterday I found both my forks having a minor oilfilm on them but sespect that the sales are just seating in.
    Blakduk likes this.
  20. Pvcwizard

Pvcwizard Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had my rally pro for 800 miles and the right fork is leaking bad. I first noticed it after to 500 mile check and saw on the work order that the tech had also seen it. I noticed it when there was oil on my boot. Now it’s dripping when I parked it.

The dealer tells me that it’s backordered with no expected delivery. I contacted Showa with no response. Can anyone get me an interchange to another bike with the same forks? My dealer is worthless.

I hate to have a new bike parked in the garage dripping oil with no fix in the near future.