1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Triumph Tiger Auxiliary Fuel

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by DesmoRyder, Sep 23, 2020.

1. DesmoRyder

DesmoRyder Nighthawk Sport-Tour

Oddometer:
    Advise needed on auxiliary fuel tank install on a '16 Triumph 800 Tiger XRT. I am looking at installing a custom "tail dragger" tank (about 3-1/2 Gallons) mounted about where the license plate is, tucked in behind the rear wheel, to keep the center of gravity low. The auxiliary tank will be lower than the main tank so I believe it will require a fuel pump to transfer the fuel into the main tank. I would rather not drill the tank or fuel pump for a connection so I was thinking about transferring the fuel into the main tank through the overflow tube. Will this work? Any input and suggestions on plumbing the aux fuel tank would be greatly appreciated. 20200603_090433(0).jpg

Attached Files:

2. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might look into the safari tank. You don't notice the extra weight and you get 8 gallon capacity. Stock pump drops in and no extra weight on the tail which can be soft loaded as is.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    What’s the goal?
    I’ve put alot of thought into an aux tank for IBA rides. But it turns out I really don’t need one.
  4. DesmoRyder

DesmoRyder Nighthawk Sport-Tour

Oddometer:
    My preferred riding is in rural areas where gas not always available where I need it. It often means I have to stop sooner and more often because I don't always know where the next gas stop is available. Sometimes I am riding with others that have more fuel range and would like to coordinate gas stops more closely. Also, I do some multi-state rides where I want to make time on the highway and the Tiger really sucks the gas at higher speeds. Sometimes I end up stopping to take pictures or to see something interesting along the way then want to make some time and only stop when I need a rest again. In some cases a spare can of gas would work just fine, but other times I would like the choice to just keep moving.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Understandable. As stock, keeping your XR under 70-75 and 4k rpm, a range of ~225 is readily achievable. Don’t believe the dash computer. Do hand calc mileage backed by gps.
    9w6vx and DesmoRyder like this.