Triumph Trident - 2020s Sport-Classic Revival

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hamamelis, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    So Triumph unveiled a new prototype, four years in the making, for the first motorcycle in over 20 years to wear the Trident nameplate.

2021-Triumph-Trident-Design-Prototype-8.jpg

Apparently using a modified version of the 675cc Triple mill, which sounds to me like it may be tuned for torque and streetability. Given the increasingly sporting focus of the Street Triple in recent years, this may not be a bad thing

2021-Triumph-Trident-Design-Prototype-17.jpg

2021-Triumph-Trident-Design-Prototype-20.jpg

Certainly curious to see where this model goes, seems like it'll be at the bottom of Triumph's Triple lineup and competing with other "sport-heritage" bikes like the CB650R, Ducati Scrambler, and Z900RS in both price, style, and performance.

The sub-frame looks a tad scant, but I wonder how hard it'd be to get bags and a windshield on there for touring use...
    T-34, davyjones, Jed Clampett and 8 others like this.
  2. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting to see what it ends up looking like. Looks like it already had a tail tidy:1drink

Cheers,

M
    Hamamelis likes this.
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I imagine the final product will have a bit more beef on the haunches, of course - license plate and tail light standards are pretty hard to get around!
    Florida Lime likes this.
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Ordinarily, I like white bikes, but not in this case. Too much white for me. :nah

:hide

:lol3
    SocalRob, n8mandy, Scoozi and 3 others like this.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I think that the Speed Twin is already the perfect "sport-heritage" bike to compete with the Z900RS. If I didn't already have both the Z900RS and the 1200XE Scrambler, the Speed Twin is the one I'd buy.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  6. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested, had a 955i Tiger and that made me a huge fan of triples in general...just hope it has a pillion seat that is good enough for at least occasional use, so many current bikes do not.

davyjones likes this.
  7. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh dammit @Hamamelis you beat me to the post by about 20 minutes

:lol3

Excited about this one too. It'll most likely be too small for me, like most motorcycles

:cry
  8. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I wish Triumph would quit fvcking around and come out with a new, lighter Sprint! Back in 2015, we were teased with a Street Triple-based sport tourer that they dropped in favor of overdeveloping Tigers.

Street Triple ST rumor photo.jpg
    Oilhed, T-34, rauchman and 12 others like this.
  9. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Especially with the US not getting the Tracer 700, would love to see a new Triumph Sprint or similar midsize tourer using this ~700cc triple mill. Not that I'm averse to the Tiger GT or Tracer GT, but those bikes are a whole 'nother price bracket and have literally more horsepower than I'd know what to do with
    davyjones and Motonirvana like this.
  10. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    No sh!t. WTF would this Trident do that Street Triple S, R, and RS don't already. Not to mention Speed Triple S, R, and RS... and the monstrosity of a Rocket 3. Do I even need to bring up the Bonnie Brigade? Enough roadsters and retros already.

Bring back the Sprint. At this point, I don't even care what engine you slap in there, 675, 765, 800, 900, 1050, 1150... for f*** sake, just give us a proper sport tourer.
  11. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the Street Triple S isn't here in the US, and no Speed R but...

Anyway. If this is using the 675 engine then it's different since nothing uses that right now. Could be trying to slot in between the lower spec 650 crowd and the higher spec Street Triples, Monsters, etc. Or maybe right around the Monster 797 for cost? Currently the Street Triple R is the cheap version here at $10,800. This comes in around $9k with a few less gizmos and it's around MT-09 cost.
    davyjones likes this.
  12. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    along with what I'm imagining is a relatively mildly tuned triple motor, I should also note that the ergos on this look potentially much more neutral than the STriple. This pleases me since I'm historically an ADV biased rider, and found the Street and Speed Triples to both be rather rearset for my tastes even if they're not half as much so as a Daytona. but then, the most aggro riding position I've ever put any real mileage on was a Versys 650 so...
    AZbiker likes this.
  13. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    So it's following the exact formula of the original Hinckley Tridents. They had higher clip-ons than the Speed Triples, and were not as racy looking with their two tone paint and brushed metal accents.
    Don03st and Hamamelis like this.
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I've always thought the old 'Steamer' Trident/Thunderbird/Trophy/Adventurer line looked cool, but the last of the original Hinckley Tridents came off the Hinckley floor when I was 4 years old! Though, I suppose the Thunderbird/Adventurer variants did last a few years longer. Even if those motors are trustedly reliable, and the bikes themselves can be had for >$6k in the US on the regular, I'd be afraid of parts availability at this point unless someone has the hookup on the rarer bits
    AZbiker likes this.
  15. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great yet another Triumph I'll probably want. I've held off test riding the Speed Twin out of fear, but maybe a back to back test would be in order here. You know, just to see how they compare...
    JaySwear and rc51owner like this.
  16. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    You are correct on the parts availability, and there's also the issue of one of the worst air filter designs in motorcycling.

I have admired these bikes from afar because of the sprag clutch issue and the air filter issue. Especially the air filter issue.

Choice 1: run stock air filter. It's expensive and requires carburetor removal (!) to change.

Choice 2: Washable air filter in modified airbox. I have heard the airbox wears out because it was never designed for repeated disassembly.

Choice 3: pod filters. Only it looks like they don't fit on the Mikuni CVs, but work okay on the Keihins. Which means you are trying to find and swap a carb bank that's not real common in the first place. Or fire the Big Money Gun at some flatslides. They will cost around $1100 for the carbs and you will still need to buy some pods and tune the carbs.

If I ever do get my hands on an early triple, it's getting pods.
    Hamamelis likes this.
  17. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    oof, now I more fully understand why I see those bikes so darn cheap on the secondhand market then
    AZbiker likes this.
  18. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    How often are you changing air filters?
    Yup, PITA but it's not something you'd do every oil change.
  19. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    You guys wishing for sport tourers should give up. It became uncool so fast it was unbelievable. Everyone got older and decided an ADV bike was better on the joints. I'm doing my best to fight this, turned my S1000r into a sport tourer and I also recently bought an RC51. Will try to avoid getting old as long as I can.
    T-34, davyjones and Jim K. like this.
  20. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    At least yearly if I'm not riding much. If I am riding a lot, then more than once a year.

Carbs should only come off if they need cleaning. Any reason to take them off for routine servicing is a bad design. There's also the baked-in extra cost of having a disposable airbox incorporated into the design.