Triumph Trident - 2020s Sport-Classic Revival

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hamamelis, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    @liberpolly - You'd have to define "better". On paper, the MT-09/XSR900 have good suspension. The execution seems to a little off, not sure why or what use case was the calibration based on, but it doesn't seem to work that well. OTOH, the Trident has what on paper looks like simpler suspension (no adjustments up front, only pre-load in the rear), yet people seem to be raving about how well it goes down the road. Granted, I take any review with a grain of salt, we still have to wait and see what it feels like to actual potential buyers.

Gustavo
    AZbiker, Matt-J2 and liberpolly like this.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    If I could define "better" I would have better motorcycles :D
    Gustavo likes this.
  3. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm an experienced rider who is interested in it for many aforementioned reasons, plus its not Japanese. Not that I dislike Japanese bikes, I just want something good looking, fun, and different.
    Motonirvana and AZbiker like this.
  4. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Not my favorite narrator, but there you go. I've never owned an SV650, but I did get to ride an older S model once, and I really liked the motor. That said, side by side, the Triumph does seem to be of higher build quality, and certainly has modern options the Suzuki does not.
  5. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode an '18 or '19 MT-09, and I wouldn't have called it bad, but the rear felt soft for sure. I have no idea what/if it had been adjusted or anything though, and I'm heavy enough to need a spring change, so... Having said that, the '18 Street Triple R and RS I rode didn't feel as unbalanced. The RS felt positively solid. It was a stereotype battle, with the Street Triple feeling more refined and the MT-09 feeling more rowdy.

Different specs, different pricetags.
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Yes the RS I rode was definitely a different league!
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  7. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve watched some test rides on YouTube about the 660 and it seems like a perfect motorcycle for general street use. And fun! I’m interested and will test one soon
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks awful, IMHO. A step backwards.

I will take this over it, any day. I loved that little bike.

DSC_4077.JPG
    badweatherbiker likes this.
  9. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSC_4080.JPG
    badweatherbiker likes this.
  10. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree. But different bikes, different mission. Can't hold one against the other --- as long as the selling price reflects that.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  11. fldfcnscsnss

fldfcnscsnss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on your use and your weight. They are a lower end KYB with a single cartridge up front. Perfectly fine for most street riders. If you are going to the track or carrying triple digits through the canyons, they will be inadequate. Then again, for that price you woild not expect much more woild you?

At 185 pounds, the xsr900 suspension is fine for me. I have encountered enough mid corner gravel, grease and kamikaze wildlife in my life that I am no longer interested in testing the limits of physics and skill level where I would need more performance.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
  13. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Time to revive this thread. Anyone get one??
    scottdc likes this.
  14. old144

old144 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3003299 I bought one a couple of weeks ago, it's brilliant. I road it back home about 200 miles avoiding the interstate, and was fresh when I got home. Revy and comfortable,
    I've already hit first service by commuting daily. My commute is 25 miles one way, and a mix of town, interstate, and backroad twisties. The bike has performed flawlessly.
    The more I ride it, the better I like it.
  15. Caltiger

Caltiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked one up as well. Same as above….brilliant. Can’t believe the price Triumph is selling this bike for, it has the same Triumph DNA all their bikes have, everything feels well crafted, expensive and thought out.

The throttle is super smooth and refined, one of the best I’ve tried, very smooth on/off transition, no harshness at all.

Some reviews have mentioned a firm suspension but at my weight (200+), it feels just right so far with no harshness.

I can report back after a bit more mileage but first impression is glowing….one of my favorite purchases so far.
    Chillis and Motonirvana like this.
  16. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a picture, please?

Sarah
  17. caramelgq

caramelgq n00b

Oddometer:
    That’s what I suspected ... that the suspension would work for someone a littler heavier than me. I’m 155 and the rear suspension is jarring on bad roads. It doesn’t take any effort for it to push me up off the seat.
  18. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike wasn't on my radar, but now I am considering it. Presently I have a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800. Nice bike, but as I'm getting older I'm finding longer distance touring has become a little too taxing physically. I'm thinking lighter is better, yet something that is okay on the Interstate for the 2 to 3 hours it takes to get to the better country roads on day trips and an overnighter or two. I've had a couple of Street Triples in the past, but find the suspension too sport oriented for the crappy roads we have in the upper Midwest. Plus, the riding position on the STR is a little too aggressive.

The Trident seems like it might be a nice bike that covers my needs. My only concern is lack of cruise control (arthritic hands starting to cause issues) and not enough luggage options as of yet. I think a test ride this season will be in order.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  19. old144

old144 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do wish cruise control was an option, but luggage options are starting to arrive. Hepco and Becker c-bow system is stateside and racks from HB and Givi are in production.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  20. caramelgq

caramelgq n00b

Oddometer:
    Update: I’m at 5800 km on the bike. The suspension has either loosened up or I’m used to it or both. I like it much more than Ikon suspension upgrade on my Bonneville. Huge confidence booster on ramps and curves.

Akil