Triumph Trident - 2020s Sport-Classic Revival

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hamamelis, Aug 25, 2020.

1. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

SV650 did it too.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  2. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    initially I saw it was 8990, and thought oh, it is 9K US.

Until I saw I was on .ca, so it is 9K CANADIAN!....

I am sure the triple will be nice...now I am just waiting for the review of the ergo & the actual butt dyno from them testers.

so tempting...
  3. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pricing across borders is incredibly complex. It's not uncommon for motorcycles to appear more expensive in UK and EU if you just do a straight currency conversion.

I developed an economic theory a few years ago after observing that a standard beer seemed to cost about five moneys in different countries. In the USA I paid $5 for a pint of good beer at the local brewery. In the UK I got an Imperial pint for £5, and in Germany I got a half liter for €5. Even accounting for the slight size differences, I determined that beer is cheaper in the USA than in UK or Germany. At today's exchange rates, a liter of beer in US dollars costs:

USA = $10.57
    UK = $11.40
    Germany = $11.65

Some people might argue that the German beer is worth it, but that's another discussion. But anyways, this is my own crackpot way of saying I think things are priced around arbitrary perceptions of what buyers think something should cost. That's sort of what I see in those UK vs. US prices for the Triumph.

I suppose someone who actually understands economics can provide a better explanation.
  4. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's almost as if Triumph's engineers actually own motorcycles or something.
  5. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The UK list price is also OTR, or On The Road (See Triumph UK website). One of our UK friends can elaborate but that accounts for VAT, freight, fees, etc.

Here, you add on all the fees and taxes afterward. So it's MSRP+. Kinda like looking at a beer menu and having to add tax and tip on yourself because the menu price is just the start.
    Scoozi, Hamamelis, davyjones and 3 others like this.
  6. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured someone smarter would come up with a better and shorter answer than mine, and I was right.
    Hamamelis and Matt-J2 like this.
  7. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

tankshooter likes this.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    A lot of talk, not enough pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gustavo
    TonyKZ1, mrbreeze, davyjones and 4 others like this.
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    That makes up for the idiotic airbox design on the 1st gen models, one of which was a Trident. :)
    KeithU likes this.
  10. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Wow, I think they nailed the styling. Looks great.
    JaySwear likes this.
  11. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot better than the new MT09 imo.

but first thing would have to go is that cat underneath...it is a beluga whale belly...
  12. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    After looking at it some more, I'm not thrilled with the way the tail looks. I absolutely despise those stupid weasel scraper rear tire "fenders" too -- they don't work, and they make R/Ring the rear tire way more of a pain in the ass than it looks like. The whole bike looks a little stubby because the tail is too short and doesn't carry enough visual mass. Forward of the seat it all looks really nice, but the rear subframe (or lack thereof) annoys me.
  13. KeithU

KeithU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, yes I forgot about that. They owed some penance for that one, definitely.
    AZbiker likes this.
  14. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan! If I were in the market for a 650 bike I'd be very tempted to go Triumph over SV650. Especially for a triple
  15. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Curious that you compared it to the MT-09. Maybe it's because it just came out, but I don't think they really compete for the same customer. Although, interestingly, I did too as both have the same potentially limiting, for people who like to go for more than a couple of hour Sunday ride, 3.7 gal tank... :dirtdog

You would think (and hope) this Trident gets better fuel economy than the old Street Triples the engine is based on. But for this bike to have a useful range, it needs to be as efficient with fuel as an MT-07 is.

Gustavo
  16. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Why shouldn't it be? An 80 hp 650-ish triple is a pretty low state of tune. I'd expect 50+mpg.
    JaySwear and pjensen641 like this.
  17. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 765 ST gets 50mpg easy when ridden close to the speed limit. This bike will do 50+ I'm quite sure. Still, the current trend of sub 4 gallon tanks is silly.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the direction Triumph is going with this bike and their new Scrambler 1200.

This Trident looks like a proper motorcycle that focuses on two wheels, an engine, a gas tank and handlebars with classic minimalist styling, which I really appreciate. It's not a retro classic but looks like an appropriate representation of the evolution of classic styling. I'm not a huge fan of the angular, futuristic looks many of the manufacturers are putting out and I say this as a guy who rides a KTM 990 SMT, which is an awesome bike, but not exactly and exercise in classic styling.

I'm a Ducati fanboi and I wish Ducati were going more in this direction as well, although they are to some degree with the scrambler and somewhat with the monster. However, this new Triumph Trident has the style I wish the newer Ducati Monsters had.
  19. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%. I love Ducati, and the Monster should be perfect for me on paper, but I just don't like the look of the things.

Saw a graphic a while back showing 3 potential models using this engine. Come on medium displacement sport tourer!
    pitbull likes this.
  20. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was this ever advertised as 'retro', or did the idea just take hold because it has a round headlight?

I dunno, it looks nice. It's a roadster. :dunno
    oldoval, Don03st and pjensen641 like this.