Triumph Trident - 2020s Sport-Classic Revival

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hamamelis, Aug 25, 2020.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many cars are 2 year/20k oil changes and have been for at least the last decade. Oil tech moved a long way ahead years ago.
  2. ilmothefinn

ilmothefinn Last snail in the coffin

Oddometer:
    I think the early valve service has at least sometimes a good point - in our bikes they are scheduled at 15 000 kms (if I remember correctly) and I did them early (curiousity) at about 12 000 kms. And they were just on the tight side then. So, the factory had done some testing, it looks... And now, when we have about 32000 kms on the meter, there was very tiny change, one hundreth or half a hundreth of a millimeter from what I had done. So as they say about engines nowadays, if the valve seats go down (or should it be said, up in the head), the movement diminishes by time. At some engines there is not so much change it depends maybe on various causes and conditions... (Ok, it might be also the opposite - but that's another thing if the valve lash goes up, there could be carbon build-up and then there should first be made sure the seats are clean and again, a re-measure etc.).

One our teachers had a 1981 Suzuki GS 1000 or 1100 and he hadn't done anything with the valves - it just had 80 000 kms... I believe it was true because he persistently claimed that engine had shims there (it had nuts and screws)...:D

Another friend of mine said he never has an oil change in his car, he uses it for 2 years and changes the car! Seems many do so...
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    What I posted above was not speculation. It's straight out of the maintenance schedule...

Gustavo

Attached Files:

4. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many cars have been on 2 year/20,000miles (32,000kms) oil service for the last 10 years at least. My BMW330D is on this oil service schedule, still runs like new after 10 years.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, EU and USA oils are different in this regard. EU prefers to have slightly higher polluting oils with a much longer life. USA prefers to have lower polluting oils that have to be changed more often. The math favors EU, but you can't get the science thru Cali's thick head. Similar story on small diesel cars.
    T-34 and AZbiker like this.
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, European emissions standards are much higher than in the US, so less pollution from a vehicle in Europe. In addition, more frequent oil changes are a pollution issue in themselves as the oil has to be processed/recycled or used for another means. Diesel is clean as long as a particulate filter is used:

https://www.buygreatoil.com/why-european-vehicles-require-different-oil
  7. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Yes, German auto makers have some very specific requirements for the oils they recommend. As @kaertner said, that allows them to specify very long oil change intervals. But that doesn't mean they won't work or that engine damage will result from using an oil that isn't designed for such long service. If you use an oil with similar specification (but that is only rated on SAE/API specs), you'll have to use a shorter service interval. Newer cars that have oil quality sensors will give you a notice to replace the oil when it's time.

But all that is irrelevant for the Trident, because Triumph specifies pretty common oil (this is from the owner's manual):

Gustavo
  8. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the manual excerpt, Gustavo, very helpful.

Here’s another quote from the Revzilla article:
    “Service intervals are every 10,000 miles. How’d they get the interval into five-digit territory? Triumph’s reps explained that they employed race-level riders for extensive testing and endurance riding to see what the new engines could handle.”

This then raises the question, what did they do to determine the service intervals for the Street Triple? 6K oil changes and 12K valve checks are based on...what?
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you agree with me?

Your article, an ad for amsoil, says a couple paragraphs lower than your quote, that EU oils require more additives to go longer, and some of those are regulated in USA oil, like zinc and phosphorous, hence our shorter life. The list of emissions allowed of each element from a car tailpipe are all regulated separately, so that opens the door for recipe tweaking for each location. I won't get into an argument which side is cleaner, only to point out that cars are made in both places for both places with the same parts. (And we all know which ecu map the KTM riders like also.) Strictly just oil emissions from EU additives like maybe zinc, phosphorus, etc are slightly higher than USA from the same car, even if EU overall is cleaner, but EU demands their recipe for much less usage, which costs them higher $ to buy the oil in the first place. That was the end of the oil type pollution and I showed CARB's disdain for science by relating their restrictions on diesel car's particulate/mile with the diesel comment. Diesel CO2 vs NOX makes my (our) point as well - our tradeoff by CARB is anti-science, or at least drastically outdated.
  10. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you prefer the looks of the Trident to the MT-09, but, want the Yammie for other reasons, maybe you should consider the XSR900, which is more similarly styled to the Trident.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    caramelgq and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    LOL, I was gonna say I didn't think the Trident looked that much like the XSR900, and then I looked at your pics :eek7
    caramelgq and alekkas like this.
  12. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    XSR900 looks like a much more thought out design, the proportions look much better, that would take my money over the Triumph on looks alone. Can't comment on ride comparisons yet of course.
  13. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    XSR misses with that crap bolted to the outside of the frame up by the radiator. It looks like they forgot they needed a fuse box, then just decided to bolt it to the outside of the frame. Then the headlight is too long front to back to be the correct proportions for me.

Triumph, OTOH...totally screwed up the front fender. Good luck keeping clean on any kind of wet roads. Why did they even bother putting a fender on? The XSR has a better fender, and one you could likely fix with a fenda extenda if you really needed all weather protection.

Other than that, both of them look loads better than the MT or any of Kawasaki's modern offerings :puke2. I would happily ride either of these bikes as-is, no bike is perfect. I suspect the Triumph will have better fueling, brakes, and suspension out of the gate.
    pazzo, T-34 and LuciferMutt like this.
  14. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Nope.

GS motors were shim-over-bucket, the GSX motors were screw and locknut.

See photos in the link below:

https://biketech7.blogspot.com/2016/03/suzuki-gs-engines-checking-valve.html
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Saw it today in Seattle's Triumph

PqLdNBGbQ_OA04i0Na9uUw.jpeg

Looks very nice in person. I especially like the tucked-in exhaust:

2LCbEI49Tz2Ym2S57AnIPw.jpeg

Great engineering, Triumph! Cannot wait for a test ride sometime in March.
    NateLePain, T-34, Trip Hammer and 2 others like this.
  16. pjensen641

Oddometer:

Dang...twin outlet. Cool. Didn't Yamaha just do that with the 9GT too?
  17. Boneheadnw

Boneheadnw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed there next week. I didn't realize that it came with Michelin Road 5s.

Bone
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    They're there only for two days - today and tomorrow. Yeah the tires are perfect for our climate! I put a front one on my Yamaha and the difference is drastic.
  19. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    All the pics I have seen show a single outlet on the Trident. The Tracer 9 definitely has dual outlets, but they point down and are a lot more subtle.

Gustavo
  20. pjensen641

Oddometer:

Yeah, I think it was an illusion by that picture. It almost looks like the outlet was symmetric and had one out the other side.

Is the tank plastic or metal? The scallops look plastic, wondering if the main painted area is.